Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-01-2007, 12:42 AM   #1
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default The pre-existing cut in Taylor's mouth: did it cost him the fight?

I know this is an 'if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle' type of thing, but nevertheless:

Did the cut Taylor have in his mouth going into the fight with Chavez cost him the fight?

The cut might have influenced the fight in 3 ways:

1. Making Taylor uncomfortable and distracting him.
2. Causing him to fade down the stretch as he lost so much blood.
3. Making Richard Steele more likely to stop the fight given that he stopped the fight mainly due to Taylor's condition rather than Taylor not responding to Steele (Steele said he stopped it prmarily due to Taylor's condition rather than his failure to answer him).

I know Chavez broke his orbital bone and swelled him up grotesquely regardless, but did the cut mouth factor in to the stoppage? Would have been stopped without it?
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2007, 12:49 AM   #2
omega dega Doom

Default Re: The pre-existing cut in Taylor's mouth: did it cost him the fight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
I know this is an 'if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle' type of thing, but nevertheless:

Did the cut Taylor have in his mouth going into the fight with Chavez cost him the fight?

3. Making Richard Steele more likely to stop the fight given that he stopped the fight mainly due to Taylor's condition rather than Taylor not responding to Steele (Steele said he stopped it prmarily due to Taylor's condition rather than his failure to answer him).

I know Chavez broke his orbital bone and swelled him up grotesquely regardless, but did the cut mouth factor in to the stoppage? Would have been stopped without it?
good question? but if Taylor would have taken that in consideration then we might not have seen such a great fight? think like this..... if Taylor would have ran he would have no chance of winning whatsoever! taylor was true warrior and probably the fastest hands Boxer in history but he fought with too much heart sometimes instead of strategy!
omega dega Doom is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 12:50 AM   #3
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

........Interesting question.

I guess I would have to say "no" to scenario one, as if there was anything to make Taylor uncomfortable, it was hooks to the body, rights to the head, just the stuff all fighters have to endure. For a tough nut like Taylor, such a thing shouldn't have been that much of a worry. That said, what could have made him uncomfortable (i.e., sick) was the pint of blood he supposedly swallowed during the fight. Makes me ill just to think of it.

For scenario number two, reference my last comments above. Very possible. He lost a lot of blood.

I don't think Steele was prompted to stop the fight based on the cut or the appearance it gave Taylor. He'd looked like hell for a few rounds, and it didn't seem a stoppable "offense" if you will.
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 02:26 AM   #4
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan
........Interesting question.

I guess I would have to say "no" to scenario one, as if there was anything to make Taylor uncomfortable, it was hooks to the body, rights to the head, just the stuff all fighters have to endure. For a tough nut like Taylor, such a thing shouldn't have been that much of a worry. That said, what could have made him uncomfortable (i.e., sick) was the pint of blood he supposedly swallowed during the fight. Makes me ill just to think of it.

For scenario number two, reference my last comments above. Very possible. He lost a lot of blood.

I don't think Steele was prompted to stop the fight based on the cut or the appearance it gave Taylor. He'd looked like hell for a few rounds, and it didn't seem a stoppable "offense" if you will.
Do you think it was a case of Steele stopping the fight because Taylor didn't respond Sal?

A reason why I think he didn't stop it for that reason is because he was just about ready to stop the fight as soon as the second question left his mouth. He didn't exactly wait for an answer. As he said after the fight he was concerned about Taylor's condition mainly. What does condition mean? Is it the swelling, the blood, the punishment he was taking, or is it his unresponsiveness?
Old 07-01-2007, 02:31 AM   #5
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega dega Doom
good question? but if Taylor would have taken that in consideration then we might not have seen such a great fight? think like this..... if Taylor would have ran he would have no chance of winning whatsoever! taylor was true warrior and probably the fastest hands Boxer in history but he fought with too much heart sometimes instead of strategy!
I agree with you, Taylor did what he needed to win. He could have perhaps ran the last round or two, but I'm not sure that that doesn't make him more vulnerable to Chavez than standing his ground and keeping him off balance with quick flurries. A case of the best form of defense being offense I think. I don't fancy Taylor's chances of keeping CHavez off him on the back foot without his high output. His defensive technique wasn't good enough for that.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:57 AM   #6
warchild
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
I agree with you, Taylor did what he needed to win. He could have perhaps ran the last round or two, but I'm not sure that that doesn't make him more vulnerable to Chavez than standing his ground and keeping him off balance with quick flurries. A case of the best form of defense being offense I think. I don't fancy Taylor's chances of keeping CHavez off him on the back foot without his high output. His defensive technique wasn't good enough for that.
That's a good point. I too have doubts as to wether Taylor would have had as much success if he had tried to move more....that might have been a problem, as Chavez was very calculated, accurate, and focused that night.

As for the cut....the cut didn't cost Taylor the fight....his leaky defense and lack of upper body movement cost him the fight. Everyone has a theory as to why victory was so unfairly snatched away from Taylor in such a cruel manner, but maybe, just maybe, if he got hit a few less times, he would have arrived at a different outcome.
warchild is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 04:04 AM   #7
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Chavez deserved the win, the cut did not help Taylor's cause, but from my little interaction with boxers, I have yet to meet one who has gone into a fight 100% fit.

The truth is if it was a 15 rounder (which it should of been) people would be merely talking about an excellent fight where both fighters gave it their all, Chavez proving himself Mexico's finest ever, Taylor that he had substance to go with his style.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 04:17 AM   #8
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Steele stopped the fight because Taylor wasn't Chavez.
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 04:19 AM   #9
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

By the way, I've no qualms with the stoppage.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:20 AM   #10
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Old 07-01-2007, 04:23 AM   #11
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Old 07-01-2007, 04:23 AM   #12
Sizzle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Steele stopped the fight because he's a ****ing dumb cunt.
Sizzle is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 04:25 AM   #13
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

I've never really gone for this "are you ok?" stuff myself. Many a fighter has said 'yes' when they obviously haven't been able to scratch their arses. If Chvez had been floored (and ahead on points) Steel would have just looked at him without asking him the question I reckon.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:28 AM   #14
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzle
Steele stopped the fight because he's a ****ing dumb cunt.
Actually it is because he is a rather good ref, who has got the most important '0' a ref can have... no ring deaths.

Better to stop a fight a dozen punches too early (there can always be a rematch, like Chavez and Taylor did) than one punch too late.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 04:34 AM   #15
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze
Actually it is because he is a rather good ref, who has got the most important '0' a ref can have... no ring deaths.

Better to stop a fight a dozen punches too early (there can always be a rematch, like Chavez and Taylor did) than one punch too late.

This is fair. He was a very good ref...then he seemed to become King's boy in the 1990s and let himself down.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum