Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who do you rate higher?
Tommy Hearns 16 32.00%
Barney Ross 34 68.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #61
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: Who do you rate higher p4p? Ross or Hearns?

The question is a good one, It shows how hard it is to compare fighters separated by 40 years.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #62
DKD
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 670

Hearns career achievements easily rival Ross'. I'd also say that Hearns faced far higher quality opponents. What's more Ross doesn't have any wins to equal something like Hearns KO of Duran.

If they ever fought Ross lacked the power to trouble Hearns. Hearns was a bigger, better boxer; probably faster and certainly more powerful. Ross' granite chin would be well tested and with Hearns' power you can't rule out the KO. Stamina could be an issue for Hearns if it was over 15, but I see him winning a comfortable decison.
DKD is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #63
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Ross is top 10/12 in my opinion.....Hearns is top 15/20.....
Two great fighters anyway....
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #64
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKD View Post
Hearns career achievements easily rival Ross'. Whats more I'd say Hearns faced more high quality opponents. What's more Ross doesn't have any wins to equal something like Hearns KO of Duran.

If they ever fought Ross lacked the power to trouble Hearns. Hearns was a bigger, better boxer; probably faster and certainly more powerful. Ross' granite chin would be well tested; with Hearn's power you can't rule out the KO. Stamina could be an issue for Hearns if it was over 15, but I see him winning a comfortable decison.
WTF? No, simply no. Ross beat Canzoneri who was in that class and McLarnin who was nearly in the same class.

If they would fight, I think it would be a tough one. I think Tommy´s size and reach would make the difference. Ross fought in a better era but it was also an era of small welterweights. I don´t think he would have done as well at welterweight in the 80s.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #65
CassiusClayAli
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
WTF? No, simply no. Ross beat Canzoneri who was in that class and McLarnin who was nearly in the same class.

If they would fight, I think it would be a tough one. I think Tommy´s size and reach would make the difference. Ross fought in a better era but it was also an era of small welterweights. I don´t think he would have done as well at welterweight in the 80s.
Hearns is a great fighter offensively and in every way and he fought the best in a great era for over a decade. outpunching Duran and outboxing Benitez and Hill 10 years apart alone is incredible and he did much much more. Cuevas,Leonard,Hagler-near 20 title fights. Saying ross was better simply because he fought earlier doesn't mean you are a boxing expert. It just means by saying that you want to show you know that era just as well as Hearns era of 30 years ago. Hearns was greater and fought greater guys in an incredible head to head era.
CassiusClayAli is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 12:43 AM   #66
MrOliverKlozoff
The guy in shades
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post

Yeah...it's like they can't read the title of the thread where it says "p4p"... I'm disappointed by the Classic crowd for this.
This is important because yeah, I did specifically say p4p. H2H, you've got a guy with such a freakish build at welterweight that he wasn't even an unnatural light heavyweight champion later on vs a guy who was a welterweight at his absolute heaviest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassiusClayAli View Post
Hearns is a great fighter offensively and in every way and he fought the best in a great era for over a decade. outpunching Duran and outboxing Benitez and Hill 10 years apart alone is incredible and he did much much more. Cuevas,Leonard,Hagler-near 20 title fights. Saying ross was better simply because he fought earlier doesn't mean you are a boxing expert. It just means by saying that you want to show you know that era just as well as Hearns era of 30 years ago. Hearns was greater and fought greater guys in an incredible head to head era.
I don't believe that was his reasoning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
The question is a good one, It shows how hard it is to compare fighters separated by 40 years.
Thanks. And thanks for all the comments, guys. This is mostly good stuff to think about.

Quote:
At Cruiserweight, I feel Hearns would dominate a prime Jimmy Young. Could Ross do that? Maybe. But maybe not.
I have no doubt he'd dominate Valuev too.
MrOliverKlozoff is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 01:50 AM   #67
CassiusClayAli
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Tommy Hearns was one of those guys who got people interested in boxing!!! He wasnt just any guy like barkley who came to fight because

tommy was special and I know many of my friends who say they loved boxing and got into it because of hearns and his style and that he always came to fight and made boxing exciting again as well as Roberto Duran and Sugar and Marvin.

I am not sure ross did that what hearns did that for many people years ago. regardless of hearns wins or losses you cannot say he hurt the sport of boxing. he came to fight everytime out and boxing was so much better with him. you have to give him his props. the 80s revived boxing and without hearns the 80s would not have been great. boxing owes a guy like hearns big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 01:50 AM   #68
CassiusClayAli
Contender
ESB Senior Member

good postings
Old 05-06-2011, 02:19 AM   #69
JAB5239
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Based on accomplishments and resume its a no brainer.....Ross.
JAB5239 is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 02:27 AM   #70
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035

Quote:
I am not sure ross did that what hearns did that for many people years ago. regardless of hearns wins or losses you cannot say he hurt the sport of boxing. he came to fight everytime out and boxing was so much better with him. you have to give him his props. the 80s revived boxing and without hearns the 80s would not have been great. boxing owes a guy like hearns big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ross was the ****ing best of his generation of fighters until the 4th best ever dethroned him. You bet your ass he was all that.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #71
goat15
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Tommy Hearns was one of those guys who got people interested in boxing!!! He wasnt just any guy like barkley who came to fight because

tommy was special and I know many of my friends who say they loved boxing and got into it because of hearns and his style and that he always came to fight and made boxing exciting again as well as Roberto Duran and Sugar and Marvin.

yeah, that's all well and good...

but barney ross killed more than twenty japanese soldiers all by himself in one night, and then he carried a heavyweight on his shoulders to safety.

ross > hearns for extracurricular activities too.
goat15 is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #72
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

...I think the more important issue to address here when evaluating them "p4p" is **** size. What information do we have there? I need to know before I start chiseling my list into stone tablets.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #73
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarmer View Post
Ross was the ****ing best of his generation of fighters until the 4th best ever dethroned him. You bet your ass he was all that.
I rate Ross highly BUT was he the best of his generation though if he was only and dominated by a WW at the age of 28? Wouldn't that make Armstrong the best of his generation and not Ross? Plus Cocoa Kid/Holman Williams were WWs of his era he didn't face who manydispute who was the best WW

Saying Armstrong is '4th best ever' imo gives Ross a pass for a 1 sided loss against a much smaller man when Ambers performed far better against the same man. Armstrong was also only a champion for 3years and I don't buy as many do he was shot when he lost against Zivic

So maybe Hearns wasn't the best of his era but neither was Ross
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #74
mckay_89
Haw you!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1065

I think Ross beat better opponents and would rank him higher, but I think Tommy murders him in a head to head.
mckay_89 is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 12:22 PM   #75
MrOliverKlozoff
The guy in shades
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat15 View Post
yeah, that's all well and good...

but barney ross killed more than twenty japanese soldiers all by himself in one night, and then he carried a heavyweight on his shoulders to safety.

ross > hearns for extracurricular activities too.
AMAZING story. The guy was unbelievable. I like Micky Ward and he's from my original state but another movie based on Ross done right could blow The Fighter out of the water.

Quote:
...I think the more important issue to address here when evaluating them "p4p" is **** size. What information do we have there? I need to know before I start chiseling my list into stone tablets.
Sometimes these discussion do seem to almost call for the ruler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckay_89 View Post
I think Ross beat better opponents and would rank him higher, but I think Tommy murders him in a head to head.
I think I have to agree with this, when all is said and done, and I'm even a little biased for Tommy. After the first few comments I felt like I might be even more biased for him than I thought but luckily it became less one-sided on the poll after I left.
MrOliverKlozoff is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum