Boxing News 24 Forum
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 05-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347
Default Winning gloves or stick to Grant?

So I just returned my grant gloves (which I loved) except I guess boxingdepot sells defective ones. I have wrist problems and my knuckles are starting to take a beating, grants had nice protection and EXCELLENT wrist support but I could still sometimes feel the shock when I really dug deep in my shots.

I'm wondering if the Winnings would be worth the price tag, I'm going to basic soon so I'll have money but I don't want to have to end up buying a new pair of gloves after 2 years. Also what's the wrist support like on the Winnings?
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Winning gloves or stick to Grant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
So I just returned my grant gloves (which I loved) except I guess boxingdepot sells defective ones. I have wrist problems and my knuckles are starting to take a beating, grants had nice protection and EXCELLENT wrist support but I could still sometimes feel the shock when I really dug deep in my shots.

I'm wondering if the Winnings would be worth the price tag, I'm going to basic soon so I'll have money but I don't want to have to end up buying a new pair of gloves after 2 years. Also what's the wrist support like on the Winnings?
I use these [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] They protect your hands and don't smash your sparring partners. I do not train boxers now ,I train corporate people and these gloves stand up to heavy work
boxon123 is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Winning makes gel pads to put in your wraps, $18 for a pair shipped.

I can fit them under my wraps and comfortably in a pair of Grant Campeon Bag gloves, can't hardly feel any impact even when I dig in a bodyshot on my rock-bag.

I'd try those out first and see if they can get you by.

That said, I'm still keeping my eyes open for used 12oz and 16oz Winnings. Drop 300-400 bucks on those and never have to worry about my hands again....sort of want.

P.S.
Casanovas can be gotten down that way and off the internet. From what I hear they're like casts with the wrist support, big hand pocket, but not much padding. Maybe throw those pads or sponges/guaze into your wraps and they'd make some good bag gloves. I'm thinking about giving them a try sometime, but I'm totally satisfied with the Grant Campeon's.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
Winning makes gel pads to put in your wraps, $18 for a pair shipped.

I can fit them under my wraps and comfortably in a pair of Grant Campeon Bag gloves, can't hardly feel any impact even when I dig in a bodyshot on my rock-bag.

I'd try those out first and see if they can get you by.

That said, I'm still keeping my eyes open for used 12oz and 16oz Winnings. Drop 300-400 bucks on those and never have to worry about my hands again....sort of want.

P.S.
Casanovas can be gotten down that way and off the internet. From what I hear they're like casts with the wrist support, big hand pocket, but not much padding. Maybe throw those pads or sponges/guaze into your wraps and they'd make some good bag gloves. I'm thinking about giving them a try sometime, but I'm totally satisfied with the Grant Campeon's.
I've use sponges already, it's not so much of the impact that hurts it's the shock. Hard to explain
Old 05-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Quote:
I've use sponges already, it's not so much of the impact that hurts it's the shock. Hard to explain
Deeper in the hand?
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
tim851
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Are you hitting with your 2nd and 3rd knuckles? (index and middlefinger)

I used to be less peculiar about this (as long as the white part of the competition glove hit, what did I care) and then I developed some problems in my right hand. Felt like the whole hand hurt.

Turned out, I was often hitting more with my 4th and 5th knuckle. I have since focused on hitting correctly and that has relieved me of my problems. Just FYI. 'Cause the winnings are ungodly expensive, hard to get, probably impossible to return.

On the other hand, just about any video of a top pro boxer training has them wearing Winning gloves, so maybe they are really just that good.
tim851 is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim851 View Post
Are you hitting with your 2nd and 3rd knuckles? (index and middlefinger)

I used to be less peculiar about this (as long as the white part of the competition glove hit, what did I care) and then I developed some problems in my right hand. Felt like the whole hand hurt.

Turned out, I was often hitting more with my 4th and 5th knuckle. I have since focused on hitting correctly and that has relieved me of my problems. Just FYI. 'Cause the winnings are ungodly expensive, hard to get, probably impossible to return.

On the other hand, just about any video of a top pro boxer training has them wearing Winning gloves, so maybe they are really just that good.
I used to hit with my 4th and 5th knuckle back at my old gym with shitty ass gloves, along with messing up my wrist
Old 05-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

paloalto you ever stop to think that maybe you just hit too hard (or your gym's bags too settled and hard) for a 12oz bag glove?

Have you tried a 16oz bag glove?
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
paloalto you ever stop to think that maybe you just hit too hard (or your gym's bags too settled and hard) for a 12oz bag glove?

Have you tried a 16oz bag glove?
Impossible since I'm only 125 pounds, and it's starting to hurt on the mitts now. I train with a 14 oz glove. Like I said it's more of the shock rather than the actual impact
Old 05-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
Tar Baby
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 430

saving up for some Winning's
maybe I can use my student loan? haha
i'm going to put aside 35 a month so how long will it take me you think?
Tar Baby is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar Baby View Post
saving up for some Winning's
maybe I can use my student loan? haha
i'm going to put aside 35 a month so how long will it take me you think?
Hmm I'm not sure, what will kill you is the shipping
Old 05-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
Lefthooktommy
Natural Born Killer
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:

My Grants are great and i've had them for 2 years. Where did you buy yours from?
Lefthooktommy is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefthooktommy View Post
My Grants are great and i've had them for 2 years. Where did you buy yours from?
Boxingdepot.com they have great customer support.. but what they sent me was not up to par.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #14
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Impossible since I'm only 125 pounds, and it's starting to hurt on the mitts now. I train with a 14 oz glove. Like I said it's more of the shock rather than the actual impact
You might still have some monster pop!
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 05-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #15
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
You might still have some monster pop!
Possibly, but I hardly hit the heavybag anymore.

On top of that I'm willing to shell out the cash if the winnings are gonna last me years upon years of use, as long as I get what I paid for

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing