Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-05-2011, 12:22 AM   #1
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default did you guys see Teddy Atlas with Skip Bayless saying Mike was overrated?

The general opinion on this program was that Tyson was overrated. And this Skip Bayless who knows basketball and general sports, does not know boxing which is obvioius. Tyson is top 10 ATG just by the way he entered the sport and he cleaned out a division of guys at the time who were champions. Bonecrusher,Berbick,Tubbs,Tucker etc etc, Holmes. Bruno. This was a terrible program.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #2
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: did you guys see Teddy Atlas with Skip Bayless saying Mike was overrated?

Overrated and underrated is so subjective, especially with someone like Tyson. Who is doing the rating?

Since Tyson is such a famous, talked about fighter with people who rate him on the extremes, he's both extremely overrated AND underrated.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665
Default Re: did you guys see Teddy Atlas with Skip Bayless saying Mike was overrated?

Teddy really isn't the person to ask about Tyson, due to extreme bias. He is however the person to ask about making really horribly analogies. He's like a zen (drunken) master at that.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
blacktopbully
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

teddy is still dazed and confused trying to figure out how he let an undefeated well primed healthy heavyweight lose the world title to a 45 year old over weight man with grand kids

he's been lost since 1994
blacktopbully is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 04:17 AM   #5
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

The thing is, Tyson is only 'overrated' by people who don't even watch boxing. Out of the people who do watch boxing there is a large crowd of boxing hipsters, wary of rating him because the 'pugilistic plebians' know his name. In fear of being bundled in with this crowd.
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 05:44 AM   #6
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Atlas is best used for comedy these days. His picks are very biased, and often fulled with bitterness and jealousy.

Bayless doesn't know boxing well. He is a casual observer. Casual fans tend to judge teams or athletes by their record and in their biggest moments. Tyson's three most memorable fights were Lewis, Holyfield, and Douglas. 0-3.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
duran duran
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Atlas is best used for comedy these days. His picks are very biased, and often fulled with bitterness and jealousy.

Bayless doesn't know boxing well. He is a casual observer. Casual fans tend to judge teams or athletes by their record and in their biggest moments. Tyson's three most memorable fights were Lewis, Holyfield, and Douglas. 0-3.
wasnt the spinks fight the richest fight in boxing history up to that point certainly far more high profile than the douglas one and probably the holyfield and lewis fights too .
duran duran is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #8
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by duran duran View Post
wasnt the spinks fight the richest fight in boxing history up to that point certainly far more high profile than the douglas one and probably the holyfield and lewis fights too .
it was a rich fight, but those guys on that show stated Spinks was a light heavyweight and was scared, which is a little true, but Spinks did beat Holmes twice and also Cooney and some fellow named Steffan Tangstad I recall. I don't think Atlas on the show was fair to Mike,since he does have issues with Tyson I think. I do not know what the issues were, but just the fact he knew Mike years ago means he should not have been on this show critiquing him.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #9
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
it was a rich fight, but those guys on that show stated Spinks was a light heavyweight and was scared, which is a little true, but Spinks did beat Holmes twice and also Cooney and some fellow named Steffan Tangstad I recall. I don't think Atlas on the show was fair to Mike,since he does have issues with Tyson I think. I do not know what the issues were, but just the fact he knew Mike years ago means he should not have been on this show critiquing him.
I think I recall Teddy declared that Tyson ***ually assaulted his niece and he fired a gun next to Tyson's ear to scare him, followed by parting ways with his mentor, Cus, being sent away. He now uses him for an ordinarily negative reference in every broadcast of Friday Night Fights.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:38 AM   #10
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Teddy Atlas's hard on for Tyson got old about 10 years ago. This guy needs to STFU about Mike Tyson and get Povetkin some damn fights. This guy was suppose to make Povetkin a better more well rounded fighter,but instead this guy has went from hot to cold and has regressed instead of improving.

Last edited by anarci; 05-05-2011 at 07:51 AM.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #11
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
Teddy Atlas's hard on for Tyson has grown old.
Thanks for conjuring the worst possible image you could have conjured for me before bedtime.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:51 AM   #12
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Thanks for conjuring the worst possible image you could have conjured for me before bedtime.
I edited that comment,figuring someone would take it literally.. Leave it to you to jump on that one
anarci is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #14
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Wow, Tyson overated, I wonder what he thinks of Michael Moorer?
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 05-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #15
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I think I recall Teddy declared that Tyson ***ually assaulted his niece and he fired a gun next to Tyson's ear to scare him, followed by parting ways with his mentor, Cus, being sent away. He now uses him for an ordinarily negative reference in every broadcast of Friday Night Fights.
wow pretty intense. I seem to recall hearing something about that a long time ago.
MAG1965 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum