Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-06-2011, 03:53 AM   #1
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default If The 1910 Johnson had met prime Mcvey, Jeannette , Langford?

If the Jack Johnson of the Jeffries fight,[1910],had defended against the prime versions of, McVey, Jeannette ,and Langford,[whenever you think they are], how would he have done?
He was 32 years old, and in top shape , probably for the last time,could he beat all three ? And more to the point, would he?
For the purposes of this thread ,we are assuming that Johnson is focused ,and prime, and he brings his best game to the ring ,as do his challengers . Twenty rounds decision fight in each case.
Your verdicts please?
mcvey is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2011, 04:37 AM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Default Re: If The 1910 Johnson had met prime Mcvey, Jeannette , Langford?

I think the pressure started to go for him a bit after Jeffries and somebody would have gotten to him.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 04:43 AM   #3
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

did'nt we see a bit of mcvey on here recently if i am correct, i cant see a fighter that crude beating jack johnson
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 05:12 AM   #4
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Going under a fantasy assumption that he could fight the top three contenders which he shied away from as champion in one year, here are my predictions.

1 ) He will lose a match, and the title along the way.

So who does it.

Langford would be my pick to KO Johnson. No way Johnson could take Langford's punches or out work him. 70/30 for Langford

Jeanette did pretty well when he was a novice vs. Johnson. He could outwork Johnson, like Marvin Hart did. 60/40 match for Johnson.

McVey was a crude slugger. Although its dangerous to judge a fighter with 3-4 rounds of flim, Mcvey was rather limited, clumsy, and much to my surprise, a little gun shy about exchanges in his Jim " battling " Johnson match. I think Johnson wins a decision here. 80/20 for Johnson.

Post 1910, I think Johnson losses to Jeanette.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

He would beat the lot of them emphatically, McVey andJeannette just don't have the skills, Langford just doesn't have the height and lost every round when they did fight, admitadly he has a punchers chance but always bet on the boxer
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 05:49 AM   #6
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Going under a fantasy assumption that he could fight the top three contenders which he shied away from as champion in one year, here are my predictions.

So who does it.

Langford would be my pick to KO Johnson. No way Johnson could take Langford's punches or out work him. 70/30 for Langford

Jeanette did pretty well when he was a novice vs. Johnson. He could outwork Johnson, like Marvin Hart did. 60/40 match for Johnson.

McVey was a crude slugger. Although its dangerous to judge a fighter with 3-4 rounds of flim, Mcvey was rather limited, clumsy, and much to my surprise, a little gun shy about exchanges in his Jim " battling " Johnson match. I think Johnson wins a decision here. 80/20 for Johnson.

Predictions 2 or 3 on this thread surprise me, but seem quite fair.

Prediction 1 is probably going to be the common thread. I know i will probably be in the minority here, but i think Johnson has Sam's number. I expect Sam to Land the punchers hail mary once or twice in a 10 fight series but he would lose about 8 to 2. In fact, i dont give Sam much of a chance at all. Johnson learned too much from the Choynski fights and would not get careless enough against Sam to let him land the big shot. Actually, Sam might have the power to worry Jack, but he doesnt have the strength to beat him. I think that johnson dominates him around.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #7
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Johnson of '10 was superior.... He was primed at age 32 and in-shape to do bidness in the ring.... He was just too big, strong and good for them guys in a time machine.... Johnson is an ATG heavyweight champion.... WORD!

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #8
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

IN his prime, which I feel was 08 more the 10, I like him over all three although Langford would be very dangerous ... Johnson would likely win ..
he grant is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
Ted Spoon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

One thing not to lose sight of with regards to Johnson is that he was not a delicate boxer who needed to play matador to the bull, he was a bull himself; very strong and very powerful. Whatever may be said of his fight with Ketchel the ending gave you a glimpse of what kind of power he could exact on you if he so chose.

Let’s not get things backwards, Johnson would not be rendered coy and seclude himself behind parrying arms. Langford was decked against Johnson for a reason when they met; if you pressed him, he let you have it.

A match in 1910 would have been a tremendous clash, but the momentum is with the bigger man with the greater finesse. Johnson has the style to beat the marauding Langford; safe, strong and punishing.
Ted Spoon is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
SonnyListonsJab
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Mendoza, your dreaming if you think the 5'6 sam langford is a 70-30 favorite over the 6'1 210lb jack johnson of 1910...Did you not see what Johnson did to langford 4 years earlier when johnson was only 185lb? Johnson is too big, powerful, and talented for Langford. Always was a horrible stylistic match for langford.
SonnyListonsJab is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Spoon View Post
Whatever may be said of his fight with Ketchel the ending gave you a glimpse of what kind of power he could exact on you if he so chose.
Yes, he had great power for a middleweight. I think that point has been conceded.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #12
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post

So who does it.

To be clear he does not have to fight them all within 12 months , it is a given that he is in the same condition for all fights.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #13
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

So far the two negative posts for Johnson, are as expected,hopefully some more posters will participate,whether negative, or positive it matters not.
Thanks to all for the input so far.
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 01:51 PM   #14
Ted Spoon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Yes, he had great power for a middleweight. I think that point has been conceded.
Of course, Johnson was a heavyweight, Ketchel a middle, but during a time of middleweights often smiting the bigger men, what Johnson did was still quite impressive.

Ketchel would later render the capable heavyweight, Dan 'Porky' Flynn prostrate in 3.

It's wasn't a monumental achievement, but then there isn't many other contemporary heavyweights Ted Spoon would fancy to dust off Ketchel like that - the 'Black Dynamites' included.
Ted Spoon is offline  Top
Old 05-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #15
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Spoon View Post
Of course, Johnson was a heavyweight, Ketchel a middle, but during a time of middleweights often smiting the bigger men, what Johnson did was still quite impressive.

Ketchel would later render the capable heavyweight, Dan 'Porky' Flynn prostrate in 3.

It's wasn't a monumental achievement, but then there isn't many other contemporary heavyweights Ted Spoon would fancy to dust off Ketchel like that - the 'Black Dynamites' included.
Sorry, Ted Spoon, I couldn't pass up that softball. An aside, was Flynn even a legit heavy when Ketchell KO'd him?

In regards to the topic, Johnson beats them all... McVea and Jeanette fairly emphatically with Sam having the best showing, even perhaps KD'ing Johnson, but Lil' Arthur pulling it out.
Seamus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum