Old 12-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #16
sharpshooter736
The Punishment, Served

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Whats your boxing routine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghmiddleweight
amateur tryin to get more fights
oh cool, good luck and i hope you get more fights!
sharpshooter736 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #17
cheech
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 742

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghmiddleweight
im 25 with 20 amateur fights in the last 19 months
Thanks
cheech is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #18
Machiavelli
The White Lion
ESB Jr Member

Location: The wise man does at once what the fool does finally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
machiavelli do you have any recent pictures? i remember last time you posted a pic you looked ripped, how much do you weigh now?
Sorry, nothing recent. My weight's up to around 150-157 because of a little time I took off to give my shoulder some rest. I got up to almost 175, but I wasn't doing much of any type of conditioning.

BF % was back to 8.2 at last check, though it's probably dipping back into the 7's again by now. I took the time off to research some new training techniques and stuff, thus the change in my program.

The new stuff is all about RFD (Rate of Force Development), Lactate Threshold, Anaerobic Glycolysis, and working the right energy pathways in regard to the strains boxing puts on them.

I guess you could say my training is a lot more "educated" now. I recover quicker than I ever have, even carrying a little more weight, and my explosiveness due to the complex training (heavy strength training superset with a corresponding plyometric exercise to work both ends of the force-velocity curve and really prime the CNS) has never been higher.

I was working too much on aerobic endurance, which, don't get me wrong - is still very important, but boxing is a high-intensity sport, especially Amateur-style, so I'm training that way now.

I should be back to the 140's soon, and my shoulder hasn't tweaked since the fight, so I'm on the right path.
Machiavelli is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #19
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

your strength training routine looks like a circuit, you say you dont drop the bar, isn't that more a strength endurance training?
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #20
Machiavelli
The White Lion
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
your strength training routine looks like a circuit, you say you dont drop the bar, isn't that more a strength endurance training?
No, those are barbell complexes, part of my conditioning, and yes, it is strength endurance.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:20 AM   #21
Des
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli
The new stuff is all about RFD (Rate of Force Development), Lactate Threshold, Anaerobic Glycolysis, and working the right energy pathways in regard to the strains boxing puts on them.
do you have some articles our links with information??

how do you combine the conditioningtraining ( with the barbell complexes, what is strength endurance training) with the strength training on the same day??
How long is your rest in between?? or you you do them in 1 workout??
Des is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 04:09 AM   #22
MrSmall
Journeyman

That's ****ing gangster, Mach, great job.
That's exactly the same style I am going to be following next year when I'm living alone, if I can that is!
Barbell complexes are highly underrated, they really shit your CNS.

Have you thought of using bands? They are incredible, I'm working with the westside barbell system right now, with a lot of band work and it's awesome, keeps you putting maximum effort into even the easier exercises. Band rows could replace your cable rows!

What's your diet like? I'm thinking a shit load of protein and lots of sleep would be needed to handle that kind of workload. How do you cope?

Do you really have a carry-over from the lunges? I really find them a kinda crappy exercise, mate.

I've heard of the static-dynamic method, used mainly in isometrics. Is this the same then? I hear it's some good stuff.

Why particularly sumo deadlifts?
Why do you finish with the big olympic lifts? "Finishing strong" or just the way you wrote them? I wouldn't have the energy after a max deadlift for a C&J!
What are your rep/sets like? 2-3 x 1-5 I would suspect, for strength?

Have you tried overhead squats? You can fit that into your complexes, that shit would be killer.
Great core workout.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #23
Machiavelli
The White Lion
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des
do you have some articles our links with information??

how do you combine the conditioningtraining ( with the barbell complexes, what is strength endurance training) with the strength training on the same day??
How long is your rest in between?? or you you do them in 1 workout??
Conditioning is done in the early morning, before work, about 5 or 6 in the morning. Strength training is done on my lunch, about 3 or 4, so plenty of time (and food) separates the two.

And yeah, I have a LOT of articles on everything I've been talking about, I'll PM them to you here in a little bit, soon as I get the chance.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #24
Machiavelli
The White Lion
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall
That's ****ing gangster, Mach, great job.
That's exactly the same style I am going to be following next year when I'm living alone, if I can that is!
Barbell complexes are highly underrated, they really shit your CNS.

Have you thought of using bands? They are incredible, I'm working with the westside barbell system right now, with a lot of band work and it's awesome, keeps you putting maximum effort into even the easier exercises. Band rows could replace your cable rows!

What's your diet like? I'm thinking a shit load of protein and lots of sleep would be needed to handle that kind of workload. How do you cope?

Do you really have a carry-over from the lunges? I really find them a kinda crappy exercise, mate.

I've heard of the static-dynamic method, used mainly in isometrics. Is this the same then? I hear it's some good stuff.

Why particularly sumo deadlifts?
Why do you finish with the big olympic lifts? "Finishing strong" or just the way you wrote them? I wouldn't have the energy after a max deadlift for a C&J!
What are your rep/sets like? 2-3 x 1-5 I would suspect, for strength?

Have you tried overhead squats? You can fit that into your complexes, that shit would be killer.
Great core workout.
I use bands on my explosive strength work - on the ballistic bench pressing and box squatting, respectively, but never for too long a period of time because they're extremely fatiguing.

As far as diet goes, I just make sure I get enough food to keep me going because of the volume of training - sometimes three sessions a day, depending. And of course, I try to keep it as clean as possible.

Lunges are great, man. Unilateral work is key. I also alterante them with Romanian Split-Squats, one-legged squats and step-ups to keep variety in there.

I use the Sumo version because I feel like it hits my hamstrings and PC in general more, and since I use a more Olympic-style squat, it helps even things out. And yes, I try to "finish strong" with the Olympic lifts - your body seems to remember the last thing you do, so finish well, and it will make a difference. My rep scheme is always low - almost never above 5 for my strength work, and sets are pretty low as well.

I do O-head squats on my snatches, but I might try mixing them into my complexes to see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #25
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I used to think I was fairly knowledgable in terms of working out and physical activity; and now Machiavelli and MrSmall have made me feel like a retard.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 01:48 PM   #26
MrSmall
Journeyman

What is all the craze about unilateral work? I never understood the need.

Kolya, you suck, legoman!
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #27
Filmnpuck
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya
I used to think I was fairly knowledgable in terms of working out and physical activity; and now Machiavelli and MrSmall have made me feel like a retard.
Exactly what I was thinking when I read this thread. Good info, though.
Filmnpuck is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 02:54 PM   #28
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall
What is all the craze about unilateral work? I never understood the need.

Kolya, you suck, legoman!
Screw you, you Greek buttslammer!
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #29
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

mach or mrSmall do you guys have anymore info on barbell/dumbbell complexes, i wasn't bothered before but now it sounds interesting.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 12-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #30
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
mach or mrSmall do you guys have anymore info on barbell/dumbbell complexes, i wasn't bothered before but now it sounds interesting.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
viru§™ is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing