Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-07-2011, 04:53 AM   #1
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Which Haevyweight Champ Would Pose The Most problems To The Other Champs?

I hope I am not assuming too much, when I say that the majority of posters would probably pick Ali / Louis as their top two heavyweight Champs in whatever order.

Just to show I have no agenda here, may I say I would put Ali at no 1, and Louis at no 4,heresy? Possibly but Johnson [2], and Dempsey [3],are my picks.

In spite of these rankings however , I think Lennox Lewis ,because of his size ,boxing ability ,and power, may pose the greatest problems to the other linear heavyweight Champions.

I am English and may be accused of bias here,if so, may I say Lewis has often underwhelmed me in fights, too cautious by far .I much preferred Ali,Holmes etc ,and Dempsey is my favourite heavyweight performer to watch.

My question is which of the Champions do you think would give the most problems stylistically to the others?

Who would be the bogie man?

Hold, what you Yanks call ,the Indian sign over the others?

He would not necessarily have to be the greatest of the Champs ,imo.

Who in short, would post the most wins over the rest of the elite pantheon of dreadnoughts ?
ps sorry for the spelling of Heavyweight in the thread's title [ too much debating with Mendoza]?
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2011, 04:58 AM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Default Re: Which Haevyweight Champ Would Pose The Most problems To The Other Champs?

lol@your top 4

I'd go for Ali. Anybody with a speed advantage (basically Patterson, if anyone) is smaller. He has a serious speed advantage over everybody going, good reach, good power, very hard to hit clean at his very best, possibly as close to unknockoutable as a fighter can be at the weight.

A little bit of confusion about how much of that post-lay off toughness stays with him for his peak sixties performances makes me a little cautious but not very.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: Which Haevyweight Champ Would Pose The Most problems To The Other Champs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
lol@your top 4

I'd go for Ali. Anybody with a speed advantage (basically Patterson, if anyone) is smaller. He has a serious speed advantage over everybody going, good reach, good power, very hard to hit clean at his very best, possibly as close to unknockoutable as a fighter can be at the weight.

A little bit of confusion about how much of that post-lay off toughness stays with him for his peak sixties performances makes me a little cautious but not very.
Good morning Matt,I knew you would laugh at Johnson and Dempsey being so high, especially as I put them over Louis,still I am being honest, I think Johnson outsmarts Louis ,and I think Dempsey takes him out in 2 rounds ,before he can get his attack in to gear.
I suppose if anyone else can be bothered to post in this thread, Ali will be the name ,after all "speed kills",I just think Lewis is a stylistic problem for all of them. Ali beats him imo, his speed and movement do the job ,but how many others do?
I too wonder about Ali's early durability. I tend to think the best years of Ali were never seen.

Last edited by mcvey; 05-07-2011 at 07:25 AM.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 05:16 AM   #4
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Lewis would beat a lot of dudes. However I think he would suffer a couple of knockout losses that wouldn't be expected, perhaps even against somebody really weird. So although I'm a huge admirer and rank him extremely high head to head I won't say I can get behind him as a #1.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I'm starting to give Ali the benefit of the doubt over toughness. That end of thing may be mostly mental and he may have seriously toughened up his mental prowess on Uncle Sam, but at the end of the day I believe that this concrete is in most guys with Ali's exceptional toughness in some form regardless.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Holmes
Lewis
Ali
Louis
Holyfield

would be my Top5. Anyone of them would give hell to any other fighter and not get blown out easily. If they would win is another question.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 05:49 AM   #7
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Maybe Marciano.
His style is hell for most other styles.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 06:02 AM   #8
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Peak Frazier swarm-****s everybody.

Liston, Tyson and Foreman are dangerous fights for him. Mentally though, he's so much stronger than Liston and Tyson. The greatest attribute to have an advantage in.
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 06:48 AM   #9
Valane
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Ali and Tyson at their best. Certain guys would give them hell but everybody has stylistic weaknesses and nobody is unbeatable.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but Dempsey, Louis and Johnson would be near the bottom of my list.
Valane is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 06:54 AM   #10
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Without mentioning the obvious 2 Ali and Louis, any man who gets in the ring with Rocky Marciano is in for a difficult night and i dont care who they are. Im not saying he would beat everybody, far from it, but they know they're in a fight
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #11
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Marciano
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 07:26 AM   #12
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valane View Post
Ali and Tyson at their best. Certain guys would give them hell but everybody has stylistic weaknesses and nobody is unbeatable.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but Dempsey, Louis and Johnson would be near the bottom of my list.
We all have our opinions ,and are entitled to them .
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #13
quarry

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Holmes
Lewis
Ali
Louis
Holyfield

would be my Top5. Anyone of them would give hell to any other fighter and not get blown out easily. If they would win is another question.
Lewis & Holmes are vastly over rated, both would lose to most heavyweight champions pre2000.. Lewis never had the chin to beat Top class fighters who was at the top of their game. his best victories was against fighters who was on the downside of their careers
Old 05-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #14
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

I'm going to do a Peak H2H percentage-based odds post with my top 5.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 07:29 AM   #15
FJAY360
The Art Of Event Winning
ESB Addict

vCash: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarry View Post
Lewis & Holmes are vastly over rated, both would lose to most heavyweight champions pre2000.. Lewis never had the chin to beat Top class fighters who was at the top of their game. his best victories was against fighters who was on the downside of their careers
FJAY360 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum