Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #31
"Marvelous"

vCash: 500
Default Re: Which Haevyweight Champ Would Pose The Most problems To The Other Champs?

My list.

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Joe Louis
3. Sonny Liston
4. Foreman
5. Holmes/Tyson
"Marvelous" is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #32
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Which Haevyweight Champ Would Pose The Most problems To The Other Champs?

Ali would be the most difficult because of this size, speed, reach, strength, chin, stamina and style ... it's just a tough style to fight ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #33
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
I think that could very well balance out with Lewis ripping through some of the guys Larry had trouble with, bringing to the table different faults and different strengths. Perhaps not completely balance out but make it quite close.
Apart from Norton, I can't think of anyone Holmes "had trouble with" who Lewis should be expected to do better against.

And I doubt Lewis could do Holmes' first 50 fights without getting KO'd at least once.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #34
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Apart from Norton, I can't think of anyone Holmes "had trouble with" who Lewis should be expected to do better against.

And I doubt Lewis could do Holmes' first 50 fights without getting KO'd at least once.
I don't think Shavers would last long enough to hurt Lennox and I don't believe Spinks would last long enough to outpoint him. For instance.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #35
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I don't think Shavers would last long enough to hurt Lennox and I don't believe Spinks would last long enough to outpoint him. For instance.

I'm not sure an aging Lewis would have done much better against Spinks, tbh.
It would have helped if Lewis had fought Byrd or some other smaller boxer types.
Shavers, I don't know. He can catch anyone, and hurt them. Holmes survived 18 rounds against him (2 fights) before being knocked down. I don't know if Lewis is guaranteed to do any better, or not get caught early. Lewis was rocked badly by Briggs in the first round.

Amnyway, the point is a flabby old Holmes, basically completely washed-up, turned up in Lewis's era and did better against Mercer and McCall.
And he dominated his own era without the hiccups Lewis had in his.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #36
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

Lewis was rocked badly by a huge jab from Briggs you are correct, but just like Shannon, Shavers is also a poor finisher. Besides, watch the videos that i posted, Lennox had a solid chin when braced for punches & given the reputation of Shavers, i believe Lewis would brace himself very well for impact indeed!
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #37
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
It would have helped if Lewis had fought Byrd or some other smaller boxer types.
Shavers, I don't know. He can catch anyone, and hurt them. Holmes survived 18 rounds against him (2 fights) before being knocked down. I don't know if Lewis is guaranteed to do any better, or not get caught early. Lewis was rocked badly by Briggs in the first round.

Amnyway, the point is a flabby old Holmes, basically completely washed-up, turned up in Lewis's era and did better against Mercer and McCall.
And he dominated his own era without the hiccups Lewis had in his.
Lewis wouldn't have gone 18 rounds with Shavers to begin with, I always thought the trouble Briggs had Lewis in was quite over-exaggerated, by my recollection anyway, and my point was the same as it will be going for your remarks on McCall and Mercer, that both have different strengths and weakness that I think balance out to putting them in similar league, H2H. Also, Lewis at best, it came later than McCall, and I assume we're talking about prime for prime here, as I usually take for granted unless I notice it saying otherwise. The example of Larry doing better against a green Mercer can also be misleading. You could say it means something that Liston did better in two fights against Patterson than Ali did. But, they're operating on totally different attributes, like Lewis and Holmes.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #38
DDDUUDDDEE
Undisputed Ambien (taker)
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

... Plus Holmes has a really ****ing small head.
DDDUUDDDEE is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #39
FJAY360
The Art Of Event Winning
ESB Addict

vCash: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDUUDDDEE View Post
^This
FJAY360 is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #40
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalasinn View Post
Lewis was rocked badly by a huge jab from Briggs you are correct, but just like Shannon, Shavers is also a poor finisher. Besides, watch the videos that i posted, Lennox had a solid chin when braced for punches & given the reputation of Shavers, i believe Lewis would brace himself very well for impact indeed!
In which case, Lewis might do as well as Holmes did against Shavers.

Holmes completely schooled Shavers over 12 rounds in their first fight, and wasn't decked. It's as clear a domination as ever.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:53 AM   #41
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Hence 'the peanut'
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #42
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

Quote:
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #43
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

Quote:
In which case, Lewis might do as well as Holmes did against Shavers.

Holmes completely schooled Shavers over 12 rounds in their first fight, and wasn't decked. It's as clear a domination as ever.
I agree that Holmes looked beautiful whitewashing Shavers in '78.

However, i would expect Lewis to come out guns blazing & slug Earnie right outta there early.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 11:01 AM   #44
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #45
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Lewis wouldn't have gone 18 rounds with Shavers to begin with, I always thought the trouble Briggs had Lewis in was quite over-exaggerated, by my recollection anyway, and my point was the same as it will be going for your remarks on McCall and Mercer, that both have different strengths and weakness that I think balance out to putting them in similar league, H2H. Also, Lewis at best, it came later than McCall, and I assume we're talking about prime for prime here, as I usually take for granted unless I notice it saying otherwise. The example of Larry doing better against a green Mercer can also be misleading. You could say it means something that Liston did better in two fights against Patterson than Ali did. But, they're operating on totally different attributes, like Lewis and Holmes.
Well, if that's your view, why do you use the example of a (purely hypothetical) EARLY KO win for Lewis against Shavers as being better than Holmes dominating Shavers over the first 18 rounds ?

And if the trouble Lewis was in against Briggs is exaggerated, then so is the significance of the trouble Holmes experienced against Shavers. It took Shavers those 18 rounds to catch up with Larry. It took Briggs 2 minutes to nail Lewis. Both incidents were against the general patterns of the fights, there's no doubt that Holmes and Lewis put on fairly dominating showing against those opponents.

Truth is, Holmes had the better, more consistent record.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum