Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #46
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200
Default Re: Which Haevyweight Champ Would Pose The Most problems To The Other Champs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
I'm not sure an aging Lewis would have done much better against Spinks, tbh.
The aging Lewis who fought VK would look slow & silly for 2 rounds (because he was lethargic & rusty), but when he wakes up, & rushes in with brute force & big bombs on the inside at the start of round 3, Spinks would be history.
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #47
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664
Default Re: Which Haevyweight Champ Would Pose The Most problems To The Other Champs?

Quote:
Well, if that's your view, why do you use the example of a (purely hypothetical) EARLY KO win for Lewis against Shavers as being better than Holmes dominating Shavers over the first 18 rounds ?
You're using an example of Holmes in the time of Lewis against his opponents, two he had trouble with that Holmes was still around for. I find it hard to actually put Lewis back in time so that he can face Holmes' opponents in Holmes' era for our personal discussion. I mean, it's short notice and Lewis' time is expensive, as is the time machine. Therefore, I'm taking a guess at what I think would happen, because this entire thread is based on mostly speculation, so I'm getting into the spirit of things. Dig?
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #48
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
If you think otherwise, what's your evidence ?

Spinks fought only 5 heavyweight fights, against no one much like Lewis, was only stopped by the ferociously quick Tyson - who was infinitely faster and less cumbersome than an OLD Lewis and a vastly different style.

Like I said, i don't know. Who would have thought Spinks would have beat Holmes like he did ? In fact, who predicted that Spinks would decision Holmes, KO Cooney and then lose in 90 seconds against Tyson ?

But I guess McGrain had some clairvoyance on this subject.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #49
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
If you think otherwise, what's your evidence ?
i saw them fight in '97.

Quote:
But I guess McGrain had some clairvoyance on this subject.
You don't need to be clairvoyant to know that the Lewis that beat Vitali wouldn't lose twice to Spinks

Nor do you need to be clairvoyant to know what causes your particular blindness on this particular subject

(bias)
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #50
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

Quote:
i saw them fight in '97.

Peak Lewis sparred an Old Spinks in '97 & you were there?
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #51
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
You're using an example of Holmes in the time of Lewis against his opponents, two he had trouble with that Holmes was still around for. I find it hard to actually put Lewis back in time so that he can face Holmes' opponents in Holmes' era for our personal discussion. I mean, it's short notice and Lewis' time is expensive, as is the time machine. Therefore, I'm taking a guess at what I think would happen, because this entire thread is based on mostly speculation, so I'm getting into the spirit of things. Dig?
Fair enough. I thought you weren't being consistent but it seems to make sense.
I think the chances of Lewis having a moment or two of trouble with Shavers if he had to fight him twice are quite high.

My McCall and Mercer examples were just straight common opponent comparisons with the twist that Holmes was a freaking corpse for those fights !
Old 05-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #52
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
You don't need to be clairvoyant to know that the Lewis that beat Vitali wouldn't lose twice to Spinks

Nor do you need to be clairvoyant to know what causes your particular blindness on this particular subject
Maybe you're completely biased on the matter.

You seem to have ZERO reasoning behind that statement, just some childish insistence that Lennox Lewis has to be protected from questions about how he'd do against the man who prime Tyson KO'd in 1 round.

Like I said, few people predicted Spinks' results at heavyweight and I doubt anyone came close to predicting the Holmes, Cooney and Tyson results altogether.

Spinks remains something of an enigma as to how he'd fare against other heavyweights - because he fought only 2 or 3 of worth and such varying styles. And because he had such a unbique style himself.
These points you would concede in almost any other context, but obviously not when it comes to Lennox Lewis or a chance to accuse me of bias.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #53
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

proper ra
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #54
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Old 05-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #55
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Jersey Joe the spoiler but Marciano would be a tough rhythm breaker with late power for guys like Ali and Holmes and Johnson...Tunney may also surprise a few
Bummy Davis is online now  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #56
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalasinn View Post
The aging Lewis who fought VK would look slow & silly for 2 rounds (because he was lethargic & rusty), but when he wakes up, & rushes in with brute force & big bombs on the inside at the start of round 3, Spinks would be history.
Well, people thought Holmes would knock Spinks out too. It's hard to assess Spinks's potential durability against slow but hard-hitting heavyweights.
The aging Lewis never faced anyone remotely like Spinks either. Obviously Lewis possessing the strength and power to overwhelm Spinks but I don't know if he could fathom that style.
Lewis fought plodders and big cumbersome giants in his later years.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #57
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Cash View Post
How can you go wrong with Ali? I think he's the least likely to lose to other greats. But then McVey might have a different interpretation in mind, I don't know. If he intended to ask which heavyweight in history would make all others look bad, then my answer would be the spoiler, Jersey Joe Walcott.
I have been waitnig for some one to mention JJW ,I think he would give problems to all of the boys
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #58
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

To make an unusual - but perhaps expected - pick: Max Schmeling. Not saying that he would win most of the fights but he would pose a puzzle to solve for some of them and beat quite a few.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #59
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035

Schmeling
Walcott
Frazier
Liston

are a few
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 05-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #60
ticar
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

ali,louis,liston,foreman,holmes/tyson/lewis
ticar is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum