Floyd Patterson 6 13.04%
Other 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
Iceveins
Puglistic Linguistics
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Worst chin for a champion level fighter?

Which fighter do you think took the worst punch to have made it to the elite level?
Iceveins is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
SonnyListonsJab
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Worst chin for a champion level fighter?

Tommy Morrison might have had the worst chin of all time
SonnyListonsJab is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
downgoesfrazier

vCash:

morrison was not elite, he was a good fighter but not elite.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
TheGOAT
The Champ is Here !
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Good to see some Chin talk! RJJ gets my vote, but some real shameful Chins there, good job!
TheGOAT is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #5
downgoesfrazier

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyListonsJab View Post
Tommy Morrison might have had the worst chin of all time
really? it is because he took shots from ruddock,old foreman(he ran from foreman but still he took some shots), lennox lewis...
the chin of morrison is underrated because the brutal ko of mercer...
but dempsey was destroyed in 1 round by flyn and nobody says that dempsey had glass chin.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
Iceveins
Puglistic Linguistics
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downgoesfrazier View Post
morrison was not elite, he was a good fighter but not elite.
I would say he could be considered one of the elite heavyweights at the time. Obviously does not hold an all time great legacy, but with wins over Foreman and Ruddock he was considered a top 5 heavyweight in that short time frame.
Iceveins is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
downgoesfrazier

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceveins View Post
I would say he could be considered one of the elite heavyweights at the time. Obviously does not hold an all time great legacy, but with wins over Foreman and Ruddock he was considered a top 5 heavyweight in that short time frame.
morrison was not elite,he only faced a prime legend lennox lewis and he was stopped, he faced a very bad and fat version of foreman, the version of george 89-91 who fought cooney, bert cooper,evander... would be other history. and prime foreman would absolutely destroy morrison. i think that tyson,evander.. would ko morrison. morrison knocked out bowe in a sparring session.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
DKD
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 645

The shots from Hagler and Barkley would have flattened anyone.
DKD is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
Iceveins
Puglistic Linguistics
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKD View Post
The shots from Hagler and Barkley would have flattened anyone.
This is true.

But Hearns was hurt and knocked down quite a few times. Was dropped by James Kinchen, Freddie Delgado, Dennis Andries...also Barkley in the rematch. A couple other times also can't remember by who offhand. There's no doubt Hearns' chin could be wobbly at times.
Iceveins is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #10
cesare-borgia
‹bermensch in fieri
East Side VIP

while were talking about him, prime morrison vs haye would be a great match.
cesare-borgia is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #11
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I voted Noris, because i have seen him wobbled by punchest that didnt look the hardest and also by guys who couldnt punch... At least when Morrison was kod they were always big time shots that landed (his defense was below average,,especially when when swinging for the fences)... BUt for as bad as his chin was sometimes, i have also seen Morrison take some big shots well, i was suprised that Foreman hit him a few times flush and morrison was still standing, alot had to do with Morrison being on his bike a lot and only taking one at a time, but were talking Foreman here... Also seen him in a brawl with Hipp and he came out on top.. Might have been dropped hard by Williams,Ruddock but he got up to win those fights..... Also took some big punches from Lennox before the ref stopped it, you would think that Lewis would have finished with less than what he did... And other times his chin was glass like when he got blasted by Bennt(who wasnt really a puncher) or shooken up by Club fighters and Non punchers like Yuri Vaulin and Tim Tomashek... But you know what i never thought Morrison was ever a top 5 hw ,or a real titlist, the WBO was lightly regarded and back then not considered a legit world title. I dont think he is on the same level as those other fighters mentioned in the poll.

Roger Mayweather would have been a good one to add to thay poll., so would Ingemar Johannsen.. And i really dont think Hearns chin was as bad as people make it out to be.. It wasnt good but id say average.. His ko losses were to atg who could punch Leonard,Hagler and in his ko loss to Barkley that was a hail mary bomb by a good puncher that hit him on the button.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesare-borgia View Post
while were talking about him, prime morrison vs haye would be a great match.
I think more times than not Haye gets him first, his defense was better and he was qucker than Tommy.. I have to see Haye tested a little more, i still think the jury still out on him at HW..... His looks to be the fastest and most athletic HW out there, and he can punch, on tape looks really good . But he hasnt exactly fought anyone to really see what hes made of at Hw, his chin was suspect at CW, so i can see why people think he is chinny at HW.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
Kalasinn
♧ OG Kally ♤
East Side Guru

vCash: 1200

Morrison is not "champion level" he is "titleholder level".
Kalasinn is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceveins View Post
No Morrison has become overrated here since his fighting days.... Some (probably noob fans) think he was one of the top hws of the 90s.. But really he wasnt, he was maybe on the next tier.. Now he was one of the best punchers but thats it.. He was too hot and cold. His wins over Pinklon Thomas,James Tillis , Carl williams,Razor Ruddock are mis leading, THomas and TIllis were shot.. And although WIlliams was still capable he was also past his prime and never had a chin anyways.... Ruddock had a long layoff after getiting kod by Lewsi and was also past it when he lost to Morrison... Every one of those guys would have beaten Morrison in ther primes.. And Thomas and Ruddock would have ended it violently..l

When Bentt blasted him he wasnt even close to being a ranked fighter.. He was still considered an inexperienced prospect.. After losing he was kod by Hide and never fought again (ring injuries).. Also went life and death with spoiler journeyman Ross Purity and got a draw.

Actually the best prime fighter he ever beat was Joe Hipp who was a solid fringe contender, and tough but more of a gate keeper,fringe contender...

Beating Foreman was a good win considering that he later won back the linear title... He out sped and fought a smart but safety first fight against the out of shape George.

Even if Morrison was around today, he could very well pull out wins over the top 3 or 4 contenders, but he could just as easily turn around and get kod by a Ray Austin or Monte Barret type of guy. His strengths were also his weakness.. A typical Gunslinger big punch,above average speed,Physically stong,had heart but flawed defense,bad habits, and a bad chin...
anarci is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #15
Joe E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

John Tate.
Joe E is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum