Floyd Patterson 6 13.04%
Other 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #16
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1326
Default Re: Worst chin for a champion level fighter?

Junior Jones was like a minature Tommy Hearns, with amazing handspeed, one punch power that was for real, some mean skills, but probably the worst chin I've ever seen period. He would go down hard and often out from the slightest breeze to tickle his chin, which was pure styrophom.

Still he was a blast to watch win or lose and had a very very strong resume all considered with W's over Barrera (twice), Canizales, Tracy Harris Patterson etc. etc.
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #17
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1326

Duane Bobick was never close to elite but he may be the only worse chin than Junior Jones.
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #18
TBomb 25
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Hearns chin was above average and the shots he took from Leonard and Hagler were huge and multiple and Hagler hit him with lowblows all nite,the Barkley punch would have knocked a heavyweight out,my vote easilly goes to Norris...followed by Jones...
TBomb 25 is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #19
TBomb 25
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceveins View Post
This is true.

But Hearns was hurt and knocked down quite a few times. Was dropped by James Kinchen, Freddie Delgado, Dennis Andries...also Barkley in the rematch. A couple other times also can't remember by who offhand. There's no doubt Hearns' chin could be wobbly at times.
SRL was knocked down as much as Hearns was.....and we know he had great chin...
TBomb 25 is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #20
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

RJJ without a doubt sometimes i think he just went down from the breeze of a punch
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 06:31 PM   #21
TBomb 25
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
RJJ without a doubt sometimes i think he just went down from the breeze of a punch
Maybe your right i had to rethink it RRJ got KO'd by Glen Johnson who wasnt even a big hitter at MW let alone LHW atleast Norris got KO'd by big punchers....let me refraise that big...big punchers...
TBomb 25 is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #22
Swarmer
Patrick
East Side Guru

Location: You know you done fucked up right? You know that right?
vCash: 1035

Norris. Wet toilet paper.
Swarmer is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #23
sportofkings
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I think its a myth about Roy's chin being bad ( at least in his prime)
sportofkings is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #24
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

What stands out here is that Jones is leading in votes for the weakest chin.. But yet he never showed a vulnerable chin ih his prime, wasnt kod until ha was fading. THe other ones were all kod at least twice in their primes.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #25
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBomb 25 View Post
Maybe your right i had to rethink it RRJ got KO'd by Glen Johnson who wasnt even a big hitter at MW let alone LHW atleast Norris got KO'd by big punchers....let me refraise that big...big punchers...
Keith Mullings and Dana Rosenblatt werent hughe punchers. PFP Glen Johson hit harder.. Tarver and especially Greene are good punchers.. Also i remember the mediocre Luis Santana hurting Norris.. Mr cry foul champion was really just a journeyman he wasn even a legit contender.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #26
sportofkings
Champion
East Side Guru

Im surprised that not more people are voting for Patterson. he got put down in half of his championship fights.
sportofkings is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #27
the beaver
Belt holder
ESB Addict

RJJ chin before the Tarver KO was pretty decent, he was about 33/34yrs at that time, after that then he went down hill.

If he retired after the Ruiz heavyweight bout he's probably voted in the top 50 chins of all time.
the beaver is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #28
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportofkings View Post
I think its a myth about Roy's chin being bad ( at least in his prime)
How would we know about that? Nobody ever was able to hit him in his prime. When was there ever an occasion when he sampled any serious leather in his prime?
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #29
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beaver View Post
RJJ chin before the Tarver KO was pretty decent, he was about 33/34yrs at that time, after that then he went down hill.

If he retired after the Ruiz heavyweight bout he's probably voted in the top 50 chins of all time.
No shit. It's amazing the lack of perspective people bring to Jones, Jr.

There are things you can criticize him on during his prime. His chin is not one of them.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #30
Iceveins
Puglistic Linguistics
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
No Morrison has become overrated here since his fighting days.... Some (probably noob fans) think he was one of the top hws of the 90s.. But really he wasnt, he was maybe on the next tier.. Now he was one of the best punchers but thats it.. He was too hot and cold. His wins over Pinklon Thomas,James Tillis , Carl williams,Razor Ruddock are mis leading, THomas and TIllis were shot.. And although WIlliams was still capable he was also past his prime and never had a chin anyways.... Ruddock had a long layoff after getiting kod by Lewsi and was also past it when he lost to Morrison... Every one of those guys would have beaten Morrison in ther primes.. And Thomas and Ruddock would have ended it violently..l

When Bentt blasted him he wasnt even close to being a ranked fighter.. He was still considered an inexperienced prospect.. After losing he was kod by Hide and never fought again (ring injuries).. Also went life and death with spoiler journeyman Ross Purity and got a draw.

Actually the best prime fighter he ever beat was Joe Hipp who was a solid fringe contender, and tough but more of a gate keeper,fringe contender...

Beating Foreman was a good win considering that he later won back the linear title... He out sped and fought a smart but safety first fight against the out of shape George.

Even if Morrison was around today, he could very well pull out wins over the top 3 or 4 contenders, but he could just as easily turn around and get kod by a Ray Austin or Monte Barret type of guy. His strengths were also his weakness.. A typical Gunslinger big punch,above average speed,Physically stong,had heart but flawed defense,bad habits, and a bad chin...
Ok, maybe Morrison was a stretch but he came to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
Keith Mullings and Dana Rosenblatt werent hughe punchers. PFP Glen Johson hit harder.. Tarver and especially Greene are good punchers.. Also i remember the mediocre Luis Santana hurting Norris.. Mr cry foul champion was really just a journeyman he wasn even a legit contender.
Norris is one of the best boxers with the quickest demises. Its almost absurd to count Mullings and Rosenblatt against him, Norris was already displaying signs of brain injury going in to those fights.

I think Norris' chin was average, but it seemed to me that he didn't take head shots very well, especially to the temple.
Iceveins is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum