Floyd Patterson 6 13.04%
Other 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #31
Sangria
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Worst chin for a champion level fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
RJJ without a doubt sometimes i think he just went down from the breeze of a punch
Jones only went down 3 times in his career. 2 of them were one punch ko's, but still...
Sangria is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #32
Sangria
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBomb 25 View Post
Maybe your right i had to rethink it RRJ got KO'd by Glen Johnson who wasnt even a big hitter at MW let alone LHW atleast Norris got KO'd by big punchers....let me refraise that big...big punchers...
Like Keith Mullings. You're right, he was terrifying.
Sangria is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #33
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
vCash: 1000

Tommy Hearns should not be on that poll. Being stopped in the manner that he was does not qualify you for being in the running for a thread title like this, ****s sake. Terry Norris is one of the better shouts if we're talking great fighters, not the likes of Morrisson who cannot hold Norris' jock strap. Patterson being the most kd'd heavyweight champion ever might get thrown into the mix but you'd have to understand that he was getting ****ed up by guys substantially outweighing him in some instances
teeto is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #34
MrOliverKlozoff
The guy in shades
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
Tommy Hearns should not be on that poll. Being stopped in the manner that he was does not qualify you for being in the running for a thread title like this, ****s sake. Terry Norris is one of the better shouts if we're talking great fighters, not the likes of Morrisson who cannot hold Norris' jock strap. Patterson being the most kd'd heavyweight champion ever might get thrown into the mix but you'd have to understand that he was getting ****ed up by guys substantially outweighing him in some instances
Hearns definitely does not belong here. Not even close.
MrOliverKlozoff is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 10:33 PM   #35
Iceveins
Puglistic Linguistics
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOliverKlozoff View Post
Hearns definitely does not belong here. Not even close.
We all love Hearns, myself included...but lets not act like its a shock for him to be mentioned in this discussion.
Iceveins is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #36
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beaver View Post
RJJ chin before the Tarver KO was pretty decent, he was about 33/34yrs at that time, after that then he went down hill.

If he retired after the Ruiz heavyweight bout he's probably voted in the top 50 chins of all time.
If he did retire after the Ruiz fight, i cant see putting him on any list that has to do with great chns. In my other post i did say that he shouldnt be on this poll as he was never kod or even seriously hurt in his prme.. However that doesnt mean he had a good or great chin.. He never really go tagged on the button so we really dont know... I remember Delvalle droppin him and he looked somewhat stunned,but thats not enough to say if he had a ood chin or a bad chin... To be honest my guess is that his chin was better than it is now, but far from having a good chin... Lot of older fighters that have been in wars have had very good chins well nto their 40s,, not as good as their prime but they didnt turn to glass, like the way Roys has... SO most likely it wasnt good,but since it never got tapped its not fair to assume it was glass.

George Foreman is one guy whos chin actually seemed to improve as he got older. Holyfield and Hopkins still have good chins... Durans held up to against some good fighters well into his 40s, didnt let him down till he was put in with then champ William Joppy. Chavez chin went down but for hte most part still solid... Trinidads was fine his comeback,Holmes,PalominoCamacho,Tapia,Barrera,Nelson,Campas,Castro.,Bramble,Morales,Arce are all fighters whos chin has stood the test of time despite everything else going downhill
anarci is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #37
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceveins View Post
We all love Hearns, myself included...but lets not act like its a shock for him to be mentioned in this discussion.
Roger Mayweather is a better replacment, he didnt just get stopped a few times, he literally got stretched like as in Knocked the **** out! Ingemar Johansen had one of if not the weakest chins of the Hw champs..

I agree with the post that said Pattersons wasnt as bad as most poeple think., and that he was kod by either huge punchers,or much bigger opponents.... Patterson seemed to be less likely to be dropped or hurt when he got older. Quarry was conidered a big puncher and has kod quite a few good fighters..but Patterson went the distance twice for a total of 22 rounds and although dropped was never seriously hurt, most thought Patterson won those 2 fights.... Also went 10 with Chuvalo who was much heavier and could punch.. Bonovena could bang he couldnt dent an old patterson,,, Either could Jimmy Ellis(solid puncher) another fight many though Patterson won.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #38
MrOliverKlozoff
The guy in shades
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceveins View Post
It's not a shock at all. It's just wrong in a typical way. Welterweight to cruiserweight, he was stopped by only punchers and two of three of those punchers were among the greatest fighters of all time (Hagler, Leonard and in their best weight classes), and two of which he rematched and went the distance with (Leonard and Barkley). I like Wladimir for instance but his chin is p4p glass and he reacts to punches awfully by comparison. Wlad and Terry belong on this list, not Tommy.
MrOliverKlozoff is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #39
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

No-one on that list was so badly hurt by a fighter as featherfisted as Carlos Baldomir.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #40
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
Roger Mayweather is a better replacment, he didnt just get stopped a few times, he literally got stretched like as in Knocked the **** out! Ingemar Johansen had one of if not the weakest chins of the Hw champs..
Good calls. Ingo knocked out by Brian London; he only won because he was saved by the bell in the final round. Brian London was hardly a heavy hitter.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #41
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1537

I've noticed the Tommy Morrison/Joe Hipp fight has been mentioned. I'm 99% sure Tommy won that fight with a broken jaw. Just to point out incase no one remembers or knows.
Anyway Norris and Junior Jones i remember being wobbled a lot. Didn't Simon Brown put Norris down with a jab?
Also, not an elite fighter but worth mentioning. Herbie Hide! Herbie was dazed and confused just from the wind of Bowe's and Vitali's punches.
Threetime no1 is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 12:04 AM   #42
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuyMan View Post
Roy Jones chin was fine. He was down what, once in his career prior to coming back down from heavy? Cutting that much weight when it's not fat or whatever is bad for you. Chris Byrd went the distance with legit monster heavyweight punchers, cut down to 175 at the end of his career and got stopped by a journeyman.
Thats a little different Jones ganed about 20 lbs and came in uder the cruisrweight liimit for 1 fight at heavy , he had 8 months to readjust until he fought Tarver and he even won that fight.. He then has another 6 months a t LH and then gets kod.. DOnt ound like a legit reason as to why he got kod. I could see if he got kod in his frist fight back... Besides alot of fighters in the lighte weights gain or walk oround at 20lbs heavier and stiill look ripped... How come a weight drained zombie like ODLH didntt get stretched by Manny? who happens to be a very good puncher.

Byrrd was at Hw hos whole career (at least 15 years),.. Then when was already kind of past it and not a top hw anymore, he decides to drop 40 to 50 lbs in a short period of time... Coming out of the amaturers Byrd was a natural LH but 15 years later i dont think he belonged at that weight, his body had been adjusted.to LH... he should have had his eye on CW at around 190.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #43
KOTF
Bingooo
East Side Guru

vCash: 66874

Norris is the only one I believe on this list to be KD and HURT by a jab
KOTF is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #44
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threetime no1 View Post
I've noticed the Tommy Morrison/Joe Hipp fight has been mentioned. I'm 99% sure Tommy won that fight with a broken jaw. Just to point out incase no one remembers or knows.
Anyway Norris and Junior Jones i remember being wobbled a lot. Didn't Simon Brown put Norris down with a jab?
Also, not an elite fighter but worth mentioning. Herbie Hide! Herbie was dazed and confused just from the wind of Bowe's and Vitali's punches.
yes i did mention that Tommy showed a good beard in that brawl and that was the the best prime fighter he beat. Hipp wasnt a huge puncher but he was maybe average and sluggin it out with a broken jaw and stopping Hipp showed alot of heart he showed he could dig deep.

Yey Jones chin wasnt that good .. THats why i wa so shocked that he beat Barrera twice!!.. Another guy with a shakey chin was Tim Austin. Not glass but not that good either..

I was huge on bright prospect Fast Eddie Hopson, he reminded me of a littlle meldrick taylor,,, And won a vacat world title.. but was iced by Tracy Patterson pretty quickly,,, Saw him again hoping hed come back adn he got kod by a tomotoe can by with a harmless punch

YEy Hides didnt have a good chin plus he was a small hw

Bruce Seldon had a bad chin.. And Oleg maskeauv sure got KTFO a lot of times.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #45
di tullio
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 268

Roy Jones Jr. was rarely hurt until his mid 30s.
di tullio is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum