Floyd Patterson 6 13.04%
Other 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2011, 02:06 AM   #46
Threetime no1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1537
Default Re: Worst chin for a champion level fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
yes i did mention that Tommy showed a good beard in that brawl and that was the the best prime fighter he beat. Hipp wasnt a huge puncher but he was maybe average and sluggin it out with a broken jaw and stopping Hipp showed alot of heart he showed he could dig deep.

Yey Jones chin wasnt that good .. THats why i wa so shocked that he beat Barrera twice!!.. Another guy with a shakey chin was Tim Austin. Not glass but not that good either..

I was huge on bright prospect Fast Eddie Hopson, he reminded me of a littlle meldrick taylor,,, And won a vacat world title.. but was iced by Tracy Patterson pretty quickly,,, Saw him again hoping hed come back adn he got kod by a tomotoe can by with a harmless punch

YEy Hides didnt have a good chin plus he was a small hw

Bruce Seldon had a bad chin.. And Oleg maskeauv sure got KTFO a lot of times.
Morrison definitley showed heart in that fight with Hipp.
Hopson only came to my attention just months before the Patterson fight, but good shout.
Seldon really didn't have belief in himself when taking a punch, similar to Hide.
Threetime no1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2011, 05:05 AM   #47
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by di tullio View Post
Roy Jones Jr. was rarely hurt until his mid 30s.
Thats because he was nearly impossible to hit with a clean shot. Even the more techinichaly sound Mayweather has taken some flush shots and proven that his chin is at least better than average.

Early in Whittakers career i suspected that WHittaker had a bad chin, and would get kod cold one day.. Well i was wrong about him cause when he got old he finally ate some big bombs and against a great puncher.

Even these defensive geniuses proved their chin.. What happen to Roys?
anarci is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 05:41 AM   #48
gooners!!
Champion
East Side Guru

Junior Jones.

When Jones got hurt he was done, he just couldn't recover.
gooners!! is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 06:04 AM   #49
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Patterson did not have a bad chin. He shouldn´t be on that list.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 06:16 AM   #50
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I vote Norris . Ko`d on several occasions by guys who just weren`t big hitters. And like someone mentioned, even wobbled by Santana ! Even in his prime every fight involving him and his chin was an adventure ...
Waynegrade is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #51
taobum70
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I think Hearns would have the biggest discrepancy between his world - class attributes and his chin. His combination of skills and power was unique at 147 - 154, while is chin was vulnerable. And I don't agree with the statement that anyone would have gone down from those shots by Hagler or Barkley. Hagler could go through Hearns like that because his shot were starting to deteriorate Hearns in the second half of the first round. Hearns had a very vulnerable chin.
taobum70 is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #52
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
How would we know about that? Nobody ever was able to hit him in his prime. When was there ever an occasion when he sampled any serious leather in his prime?
In Tarver 1, past prime he took some serious punches, some on par with the 1 that put him out in the rematch, he had to show heart in that 1. Ruiz hit him clean with right hands in their fight. In other fights he was never really taking a pounding but ofcourse he got hit
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #53
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Thats a little different Jones ganed about 20 lbs and came in uder the cruisrweight liimit for 1 fight at heavy , he had 8 months to readjust until he fought Tarver and he even won that fight.. He then has another 6 months a t LH and then gets kod.. DOnt ound like a legit reason as to why he got kod. I could see if he got kod in his frist fight back... Besides alot of fighters in the lighte weights gain or walk oround at 20lbs heavier and stiill look ripped... How come a weight drained zombie like ODLH didntt get stretched by Manny? who happens to be a very good puncher.

Byrrd was at Hw hos whole career (at least 15 years),.. Then when was already kind of past it and not a top hw anymore, he decides to drop 40 to 50 lbs in a short period of time... Coming out of the amaturers Byrd was a natural LH but 15 years later i dont think he belonged at that weight, his body had been adjusted.to LH... he should have had his eye on CW at around 190.
It was pretty obvious Jones wasn't the same fighter in Tarver 1, he was breathing heavy early, looked weaker, slower, his legs were nearly done. He had to show heart and take punches in that fight and it could be that fight damaged him. In Tarver 2 he was older and maybe had battle scars from the first. Punch resistance goes when you've had a beating, it goes when your legs and reactions go, it can go worse once you've suffered a concussion. Then you have to bare in mind that Jones fights with low hands with his chin out, once you lose your reactions that puts your chin in a very procarious position

Just look at fighters like Vargas and Mugabi, were they always chinny?
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #54
ecto55
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Location: a little sun-drenched vinyard 3 hours north by nor-west of Sydney, NSW, Australia...

Last edited by ecto55; 06-11-2011 at 01:34 AM.
ecto55 is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #55
Iceveins
Puglistic Linguistics
ESB Senior Member

While somebody's chin grade can always be subjective there are some good points made for or against some of the fighters mentioned...I went ahead and named the fighters that who's chins have been pointed out as their weaknesses in previous discussions. I for one think every champion level fighter can take a punch, but the extent of their chin's durability is another thing.

The debate I am reading about Roy is a good one...did he always have a suspect chin but was so slick and hard to hit that it was never exposed? Or did he actually have a good chin that deteriorated with age and/or the weight loss, or was just cracked open by Tarver? Hard to say.

Maybe someone can have some input on this, but what do you think was the hardest shot that Roy took before the Tarver KO?
Iceveins is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #56
Iceveins
Puglistic Linguistics
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecto55 View Post
Here's something for those wondering perhaps about the 'how' or 'why' of weak chins...
Anthony Mundine, although probably not 'elite' by American standards was at least a 2 or 3 time World champion, has shown a lot of china in his chin. Some beleive that his desire to drop from SMW, to 160lb and now down to 154lb's comes principally from his desire to avoid the punchers at SMW.
I'm not so sure...but he was knocked out in devestating fashion by Sven Ottke- although exhastion after fighting for 10+ rounds on the back-move was likely a factor also, dropped by journeyman Manny Siaca and Nishiwaza, before recently being kayo'd by a 10 fight novice ex-footy player Garth Woods.
If his chin's as vulnerable as it often seems, his accomplishments are quite significant...

Interistingly, for those old enough, Anthony's father Tony Mundine Snr was also reputed to have weak chin- glass jaw was the often cited monniker. Tony Snr was kayo'd by lethal punching Kahu Mahunga, solid puncher Monzon and in a startling upset, was starched early by one Luis Rodriguez moving up.

Genetic's anyone???
Genetics definitely play a part. I'm sure every child of Marvin Hagler's, including the females, can take a Barry Bond's bat swing to the point of the chin and be back to chewing gobstoppers within 24 hours.
Iceveins is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #57
di tullio
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 268

Quote:
Thats because he was nearly impossible to hit with a clean shot. Even the more techinichaly sound Mayweather has taken some flush shots and proven that his chin is at least better than average.

Early in Whittakers career i suspected that WHittaker had a bad chin, and would get kod cold one day.. Well i was wrong about him cause when he got old he finally ate some big bombs and against a great puncher.

Even these defensive geniuses proved their chin.. What happen to Roys?
No, he was hit with plenty of clean shots.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UEtWnFFaZs&feature=related[/ame]
di tullio is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #58
UncleChris
Journeyman

vCash: 500

These bad chin threads almost always remind me of one single punch; the jab that rocked Mark Breland early-ish in his classic against Aaron Davis.

I don't know enough about Breland to declare whether or not he was truly glass jawed, but that punch certainly had a disproportionate effect on him. It's a great fight that one by the way, for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Come to think of I thought Mosley getting decked at the weekend had more to do with the right jab which landed rather than the follow-up left. Not that that's a comment about Mosley's chin overall, of course.
UncleChris is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #59
bigjake
Contender
ESB Senior Member

funny joe louis wasn't on the list he was dowm 10 times i believe
bigjake is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #60
Iceveins
Puglistic Linguistics
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by di tullio View Post
No, he was hit with plenty of clean shots.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Its funny that through that whole vid it still shows he really didn't take too many heavy flush shots. I think he got tagged with the most clean shots in his career to that point in the first fight with Griffin...in that vid the shot he took from Griffin at 2:33 might be the hardest punch I remember him taking before the Tarver knockout.
Iceveins is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum