Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #31
Rumsfeld
Moderator
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Go to the Mushroom Mag!
Posts: 18,589
vCash: 655
Default Re: Who are the best 10 fighters at 168-175 at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
Here's the main factor Rumsfeld, I know that won't happen, so there is no point going further.

That's crap, and you know it. This is boxing, and Calzaghe has piss poor balance, not to mention, he ain't getting any younger either.

Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2007, 05:03 PM   #32
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who are the best 10 fighters at 168-175 at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumsfeld
That's crap, and you know it. This is boxing, and Calzaghe has piss poor balance, not to mention, he ain't getting any younger either.

See, this is why I don't bother, because you don't know what you're talking about. Calzaghe has some of the best balance around, as well as footwork, giving him the positioning to throw at extremely tight and awkward anles and land shots that ar hard to defend against.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:51 PM   #33
andyZOR
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 8,542
vCash: 823
Default Re: Who are the best 10 fighters at 168-175 at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
Erdei would SMASH Mundine and Bute, I would assure you that.
He probably would, but he won't. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam

1.Calzaghe
2.Kessler/Dawson tie
3.Erdei
4.Mundine
5.Woods
6.Bute
7.Diaconu
8.Glen Johnson
9.Bernard Hopkins
10.Andrade
I pretty much agree with this list than any other posted on here.
andyZOR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #34
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hungary
Posts: 410
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who are the best 10 fighters at 168-175 at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal
Anyway...Erdei is a natural LHW; Bute and Mundine are natural SMW/MW...
Actually, he's not. He's a very small LHW, most experts say that he could easily make the SMW limit. He competed at middleweight at the amateurs.
Darien is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:11 AM   #35
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,263
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who are the best 10 fighters at 168-175 at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien
Actually, he's not. He's a very small LHW, most experts say that he could easily make the SMW limit. He competed at middleweight at the amateurs.
So why has he fought so many fights at LHW if he is better suited for SMW? It makes no sense!
Decebal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #36
Rumsfeld
Moderator
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Go to the Mushroom Mag!
Posts: 18,589
vCash: 655
Default Re: Who are the best 10 fighters at 168-175 at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdam
See, this is why I don't bother, because you don't know what you're talking about. Calzaghe has some of the best balance around, as well as footwork, giving him the positioning to throw at extremely tight and awkward anles and land shots that ar hard to defend against.
We'll see who knows what they're talking about when Hopkins's hand is raised in victory for beating this hype job.

Your reluctance to answer a hypothetical scenario speaks volumes about your insecurity. You don't even believe your own bullshit.

Rumsfeld is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:25 AM   #37
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hungary
Posts: 410
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who are the best 10 fighters at 168-175 at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal
So why has he fought so many fights at LHW if he is better suited for SMW? It makes no sense!
Good question, lots of us asked it many times. Maybe because Universum wanted him to be the successor of DM form the beginning.

He usually says that he can exploit his quickness in LHW more than he could in SMW.

Or he just simply doesn't want to drain his body. Fact is he usually steps in the ring around 172lbs.
Darien is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:28 AM   #38
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,263
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who are the best 10 fighters at 168-175 at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien
Good question, lots of us asked it many times. Maybe because Universum wanted him to be the successor of DM form the beginning.

He usually says that he can exploit his quickness in LHW more than he could in SMW.

Or he just simply doesn't want to drain his body. Fact is he usually steps in the ring around 172lbs.
Sounds like he is banking on his speed. Bute goes in at as high as 184.
Decebal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:47 AM   #39
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hungary
Posts: 410
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who are the best 10 fighters at 168-175 at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal
Sounds like he is banking on his speed. Bute goes in at as high as 184.
Exactly. Very simple tactic: tight defence, and a very fast accurate jab with which he can land at will against almost anybody. Rather boring to watch but certainly effective. BTW his style changed a lot since he went pro. He was a very versatile combination puncher back at the amateurs.
Darien is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:54 AM   #40
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,263
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who are the best 10 fighters at 168-175 at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien
Exactly. Very simple tactic: tight defence, and a very fast accurate jab with which he can land at will against almost anybody. Rather boring to watch but certainly effective. BTW his style changed a lot since he went pro. He was a very versatile combination puncher back at the amateurs.
Effective it might be, but I am no longer a fan...I think he lacks the heart and self-belief needed at the highest level...he is not a Winner with a capital "W", like Ricky Hatton for example...alas!

Last edited by Thread Stealer; 10-10-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Decebal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #41
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hungary
Posts: 410
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who are the best 10 fighters at 168-175 at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal
Effective it might be, but I am no longer a fan...I think he lacks the heart and self-belief needed at the highest level...he is not a Winner with a capital "W", like Ricky Hatton for example...alas!
Well, matter of perspective again. I think he just wants to win at all costs. If the most effective way is by outjabbing the opponent then he outjabs the opponent. If he has to slug it out, then he slugs it out like he did against Sahnoune. I think that was the fight where he showed that he actually has a heart. He went into the ring with a bruised rib (that's what you get for sparring with Vadim Tokarev) and he gassed out after 4 rounds. He barely could move, wasn't even able to keep his guard up but he didn't quit, he kept on fighting and finally KOed the Frenchman in the 12th. If he was 100% fitt he would've chosen the easier way - outbox him as he usually does. And he could have done it without breaking a sweat.

If you decide not to be a fan of him it's your call, and I totally understand and respect your decision. People usually don't like these kind of fighters. He's not the warrior type, he doesn't go for the kill, he's just a guy who wants to win the most effective and least risky way.

BTW after the Sahnoune figtht a reporter told him that these are the type of fights that fans need. Erdei replied: that's true, but these are certainly not the types that I need.
Darien is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #42
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,263
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who are the best 10 fighters at 168-175 at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien
If you decide not to be a fan of him it's your call, and I totally understand and respect your decision. People usually don't like these kind of fighters. He's not the warrior type, he doesn't go for the kill, he's just a guy who wants to win the most effective and least risky way.
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear...it's not what I meant. I stopped being a fan not because he is in intelligent fighter who selects the best strategy for a certain oponent and sticks to it, even if it doesn't look pretty; in fact, it's quite the opposite! I like that in a fighter.

Reason I don't like Zsolt has little to do with his style or strategy and more to do with him as a person - he doesn't push the boat out/he doesn't dare to be great, probably because he lacks the heart and self-belief...

Of course, one could argue he just knows his limits and doesn't go overboard...but I'd much rather my favourite fighter measures himself against the very best once he reaches his peak at least once or twice, even if he is the underdog, than if he just stays in his comfortzone...

I think a loss against the best, if you give it your all and you put up a great fight means much more than a win over mediocre oppoeition.

Zsolt said he wanted to have a big fight...well, he is going about it the right way because the have-been NAMES in the division will think he is beatable, after his last fight. I am just disppointed because I thought he was gunning for someone more special now, having made enough money.
Decebal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:37 PM   #43
Darien
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Hungary
Posts: 410
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who are the best 10 fighters at 168-175 at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear...it's not what I meant. I stopped being a fan not because he is in intelligent fighter who selects the best strategy for a certain oponent and sticks to it, even if it doesn't look pretty; in fact, it's quite the opposite! I like that in a fighter.

Reason I don't like Zsolt has little to do with his style or strategy and more to do with him as a person - he doesn't push the boat out/he doesn't dare to be great, probably because he lacks the heart and self-belief...

Of course, one could argue he just knows his limits and doesn't go overboard...but I'd much rather my favourite fighter measures himself against the very best once he reaches his peak at least once or twice, even if he is the underdog, than if he just stays in his comfortzone...

I think a loss against the best, if you give it your all and you put up a great fight means much more than a win over mediocre oppoeition.

Zsolt said he wanted to have a big fight...well, he is going about it the right way because the have-been NAMES in the division will think he is beatable, after his last fight. I am just disppointed because I thought he was gunning for someone more special now, having made enough money.
Fair enough. You know, I don't think that this is some kind of a strategy. I mean looking bad against a mediocre (at best) opponent. Although Mendoza was much better than Santiago and Blades (both of whom Zsolt handled with ease) he still should have won much more convincingly. I think this is something to do with motivation. Calzaghe wasn't that impressive against Salem for example - not because he wasn't a world-class fighter, but because he wasn't motivated enough to fight a realtively unknown guy. His best performances were against top class opposition (Lacy, Kessler).

Erdei (on a different level of course, I don't want anybody come up with this how do I dare comparing Erdei with Calzaghe thing) has also showed the best performances on his biggest fights. He was a total underdog, an unknown prospect when he demolished the no2 ranked LHW in the world in Gonzalez. He wasn't an underdog but many thought that fighting his German stablemate Ulrich in Germany will be his toughest fight still he did a shutout.

I can't say for sure that he still wants to challenge himself. I can't say for sure that you're wrong. I just hope you are.
Darien is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #44
Amsterdam
Boris Christoff
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who are the best 10 fighters at 168-175 at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien
Fair enough. You know, I don't think that this is some kind of a strategy. I mean looking bad against a mediocre (at best) opponent. Although Mendoza was much better than Santiago and Blades (both of whom Zsolt handled with ease) he still should have won much more convincingly. I think this is something to do with motivation. Calzaghe wasn't that impressive against Salem for example - not because he wasn't a world-class fighter, but because he wasn't motivated enough to fight a realtively unknown guy. His best performances were against top class opposition (Lacy, Kessler).

Erdei (on a different level of course, I don't want anybody come up with this how do I dare comparing Erdei with Calzaghe thing) has also showed the best performances on his biggest fights. He was a total underdog, an unknown prospect when he demolished the no2 ranked LHW in the world in Gonzalez. He wasn't an underdog but many thought that fighting his German stablemate Ulrich in Germany will be his toughest fight still he did a shutout.

I can't say for sure that he still wants to challenge himself. I can't say for sure that you're wrong. I just hope you are.
Yes, he's hot and cold, I tried to tell Decebal that.

I don't have any problems with Erdei, I know how difficult it is to secure the types of matches people want when you're under European promotion and unknown in the United States, especially being that where you can get the westerner a payday is where they don't want to go(Germany).

But he and his promotion do need to do something soon, I rated him right behind Kessler and Dawson and that's where he belongs, he's also the second best LHW outright, better than Clinton Woods.
Amsterdam is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:12 PM   #45
Decebal
Lucian Bute
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 17,263
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who are the best 10 fighters at 168-175 at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darien
I just hope you are.
So do I, especially if it's true that he blows hot and cold...I hope he will blow hot against a top opponent soon!
Decebal is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013