Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-01-2007, 03:44 PM   #16
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Most athletic boxer ever

P4P i'd say Ali. You know, taking into account what he has to drag about and that. Probably Jeffries deserves a mention where heavies are concerned.

I'd go with RJJ right enough though Dick Tiger deserves a mention. Not for reflexes, just for stamina.
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2007, 03:47 PM   #17
hobgoblin
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamite
Holyfield actually beat Carl Lewis in an 800 meter race at a charity event in the early 90's.
It could not have been a "real contest". It was probably just a show, like Muhammad Ali losing to someone. I find this very hard to believe! No way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamite
I have always thought Evander Holyfield was also an extremely atheltic individual. He had very fast hands and excellent reflexes early on in his career.
I agree with you great post.
hobgoblin is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 03:52 PM   #18
Terrible Terry
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

How about Mr Terry Norris? His speed, power, movement and combonations were insane.
Terrible Terry is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 03:54 PM   #19
NickHudson
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

As far as I am aware the Holyfield Lewis 800m race was real, and Holyfield won!

But, dont read too much into this. 800m running is 50% aerobic, 50% anaerobic. Lewis was a pure power athlete (100m and long jump). He was also retired, old and untrained at the time.

Still, as a 1:48 800m man myself would like to know Holyfields time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobgoblin
It could not have been a "real contest". It was probably just a show, like Muhammad Ali losing to someone. I find this very hard to believe! No way.

I agree with you great post.
NickHudson is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #20
justaboxingfan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned FLoyd Mayweather Jr. I think he is one of the most gifted athletes ever, especially in the stamina department.
justaboxingfan is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 03:56 PM   #21
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHudson
As far as I am aware the Holyfield Lewis 800m race was real, and Holyfield won!
Am I alone in expecting a 100% conditioned boxer to beat even a 100% conditioned sprinter over 800m?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #22
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaboxingfan
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned FLoyd Mayweather Jr. I think he is one of the most gifted athletes ever, especially in the stamina department.
I agree with you, though stamina is unproven (is suspect you are right though). I'd include him for his reaction time - which is up there, right up there.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #23
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

If championship caliber boxers throughout history were to compete in a decathlon or pentathlon type event, Jim Jeffries might well come out on top.

Ali was a great boxer, but he was no kind of all-around athlete.

Ken Norton and Earnie Shavers were very good athletes in school, and to the best of my recollection, Norton acquitted himself very well in the Superstars competition. (I think Floyd Patterson may have also performed respectably in a retired athletes segment, but I could be mistaken about that. It wouldn't be too surprising if he did do well though, as Floyd was about the size of an Olympic class decathlete.

While I'd have to think about it a good deal more, those are the names that occur to me immediately.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 04:03 PM   #24
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Am I alone in expecting a 100% conditioned boxer to beat even a 100% conditioned sprinter over 800m?
You should be. I was a sprinter in High School. Even though I would've gotton killed by 800 m runners, people who didn't run track would have had a hard time beating me. Even as a sprinter, we did plenty of drills that built up our endurance. Boxers have plenty of endurance but have no need for the type of speed needed in track , even an 800 m race.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 04:05 PM   #25
NickHudson
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

yes, this is an interesting one.

one the one hand, the track sprinters are 'designed for running' and carry less baggage in the upper body and the boxers particularly the heavies are MUCH heavier. On the other, a boxer geared for 12-15 rounds would have much better cardio fitness than a sprinter.

Holyfields performance for a 15 stone man sounds impressive, but we still havent heard the time!

Quote:
Old 07-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #26
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible Terry
How about Mr Terry Norris? His speed, power, movement and combonations were insane.
Terry was also a terrific baseball player and I remember reading he could bench 300lbs.

Regarding the Ali Superstar comp, it was in the mid-70's and is mentioned in the Hauser book. You can respond that a 30-something Ali was over the hill, but I'm a nobody and can still get near 11 seconds in 100 meters pushing 40 years old. If Ali were the great all-encompassing athlete as suggested, he should have beaten 12 seconds for 100 yards.

I also remember reading some very funny anecdotes given by Holyfield regarding Tyson's utter lack of ability on the basketball court. Evander does seem like a special athlete. I would not be suprised to learn he was excelled at other sports.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #27
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigReg
You should be. I was a sprinter in High School. Even though I would've gotton killed by 800 m runners, people who didn't run track would have had a hard time beating me. Even as a sprinter, we did plenty of drills that built up our endurance. Boxers have plenty of endurance but have no need for the type of speed needed in track , even an 800 m race.
No disprespect but sprinting high school and top 1% are very different. I'd argue that the olympic gold medalist over 100m is the most finely tuned athlete on the planet. And they're tuned for explosive and attacking fast twitch fibre action, no?

Last edited by one punch; 02-10-2006 at 10:11 AM.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #28
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Depends on how big the boxer is, and what kind of road regimen he is doing. A world class 100 meter man can invariably run 400 meters in 46-47 seconds if not faster. If he dogs an 800, he should still be well under 2 mintues, which is a difficult feat for more traditional stick and ball athletes and maybe a little less so for a boxer who runs 5 or 6 miles a day.

While we're at it, I seem to remember Crisanto Espana (who beat Taylor for a welter title) was a near world class marathoner.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 04:22 PM   #29
NickHudson
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I hear you with the elite 100m man rolling a 46/47 400m.

However, in my experience it all goes horribly wrong in the 800m, even with the comparatively ordinary 2 minute benchmark.

Even very good 400m runners blow at 600m and struggle to sub 2 minute.

It comes down to a reliance on anerobics and near 100% fast twitch fibres.

The boxers may not be so one-sided in their physiology as a sprinter. Having said all this, I would pick an elite 100m runner over an elite boxer if forced to bet.

Interesting debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
Depends on how big the boxer is, and what kind of road regimen he is doing. A world class 100 meter man can invariably run 400 meters in 46-47 seconds if not faster. If he dogs an 800, he should still be well under 2 mintues, which is a difficult feat for more traditional stick and ball athletes and maybe a little less so for a boxer who runs 5 or 6 miles a day.

While we're at it, I seem to remember Crisanto Espana (who beat Taylor for a welter title) was a near world class marathoner.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #30
ryanty22
VRWC Sledgehammer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

John Conteh. in a superstars competition in 1974 he proved he was the greatest at least that one time

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

as i read more i found out holyfield didnt do very good in his which was 1984
ryanty22 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum