Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #1
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 874
vCash: 75
Default Over training?

I kind have a problem and really need advice. Basicly ive been training 6 days a week, including 3 days boxing gym, 2 days running and satudays running with weight training to retain muscle mass, while trying to eat as little as possible to help me lose weight cuz i HATE being the shorter boxer, reach really pisses me off. Lately ive been feeling weak, not able to run as much with out being dead, sparring i feel weaker and less strong physicly etc. I was wondering what people would recommend? suck it up? Eat more? rest more?.....
pichuchu is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,888
vCash: 75
Default Re: Over training?

eat more , rest more , suck it up to an extent
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 720
vCash: 500
Default Re: Over training?

The phrase "eating as little as possible" is kind of vague not knowing how much that really is. If you could break that down to caloric intake daily, or a glimpse into what kind of foods you are eating and how often, that might give folks a better idea of what you're doing.

As for your training, running, weightlifting, again you are vague in the intensity of your workouts. Going to the boxing gym and hitting the heavy bag, jumping rope, sparring, ab work and shadow boxing a few rounds can be pretty intense depending on how long you're doing it. Running 2 miles a couple days a week is different than running 5 miles in the same time span.
You'll get better advice if folks on the forum know more detailed info.

That said, from the info I got from your post, you are draining yourself with a lot of activity and too little food to maintain your body.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,097
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Over training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMPY KNUCKLES View Post
eat more , rest more , suck it up to an extent
This.

Quote:
Basicly ive been training 6 days a week, including 3 days boxing gym, 2 days running and satudays running with weight training to retain muscle mass, while trying to eat as little as possible
This is just dumb. You're not giving your body the fuel it needs to get through the day. What do you expect?

Starving yourself is not the way to lose weight.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
MrSmall
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 72
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Over training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichuchu View Post
I kind have a problem and really need advice. Basicly ive been training 6 days a week, including 3 days boxing gym, 2 days running and satudays running with weight training to retain muscle mass, while trying to eat as little as possible to help me lose weight cuz i HATE being the shorter boxer, reach really pisses me off. Lately ive been feeling weak, not able to run as much with out being dead, sparring i feel weaker and less strong physicly etc. I was wondering what people would recommend? suck it up? Eat more? rest more?.....
Eating as little as possible = as an athlete is the worst thing to do to lose weight.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
Broxi
Me Whee!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Scotland, UK
Posts: 2,586
vCash: 3681
Default Re: Over training?

Read the nutrition sticky, then you wont need an answer to this question.
Broxi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,665
vCash: 202
Default Re: Over training?

Eat more and run more. You're not even close to overtraining if you eat a semi-normal diet.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:07 AM   #8
furor celtica
Creeping Death
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Default Re: Over training?

i train two hours a day 6 days a week and i'm fine. in order to not overtrain you should vary the intensity of your workouts day to day. for example i train very hard on monday and tuesday (skill, strength training, sprints, jogging, heavy bag, bicycling you name it) and i still train two hours on wednesdays but at a lower rate (shadowboxing, slip bag, slip line, stretching, etc.).
And eat all the time. Just do more weight loss specific exercises.
furor celtica is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:51 AM   #9
MrSmall
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 72
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Over training?

Eat a bit more mate but cut down on junk, and carbs on your off days a little, if you want to lose weight.

If you are trying to lose weight you cannot increase your performance very well, its counter productive.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:09 AM   #10
Boxinglad123
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,064
vCash: 75
Default Re: Over training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
Eat a bit more mate but cut down on junk, and carbs on your off days a little, if you want to lose weight.

If you are trying to lose weight you cannot increase your performance very well, its counter productive.
Mr Small. I've been training pretty hard recently, my coach had set up a couple of fights for me at 63kg because I usually sit 64kg. I noticed when I was weighing in I was coming in around 62, so for the last fight I was eating 3000 calories per day, ate 6000 calories the day before the fight and 2500 on the day before the weigh in yet still only weighed in at 62.4kg. Thing is my performance is increasing too so I can't understand how this weight just seems to fall off me. I haven't lifted weights in about a month. I'm 15 years old, any explanation?
Boxinglad123 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:44 AM   #11
Gandhi
Celtic
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Scotland
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Default Re: Over training?

there has to be a balance between working out, resting, and your diet.

sounds like you dont have a balance and its obviously having an effect.

Eat more (healthily though not shit) and make sure your getting around 8 hours sleep.
Gandhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:04 AM   #12
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,459
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Over training?

6000 calories in a day? How the **** do you do that?
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
MrSmall
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 72
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Over training?

6000 calories is nothing if its a one off in a day. Get a dozen doughnuts from Krispy Kreme, that's close enough. And that's with nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxinglad123 View Post
Mr Small. I've been training pretty hard recently, my coach had set up a couple of fights for me at 63kg because I usually sit 64kg. I noticed when I was weighing in I was coming in around 62, so for the last fight I was eating 3000 calories per day, ate 6000 calories the day before the fight and 2500 on the day before the weigh in yet still only weighed in at 62.4kg. Thing is my performance is increasing too so I can't understand how this weight just seems to fall off me. I haven't lifted weights in about a month. I'm 15 years old, any explanation?
Your metabolism from training, your training and you being at the peak of your body's growing, 3000 calories a day is probably not enough to gain weight as you've seen. But you feel better for it, so stick to eating more. If you see you are putting on weight, cut it down a bit if you don't want to get bigger. But keep doing what you are doing for now! Remember you need a lot more calories to gain weight than you do to maintain, so if you were undereating you wouldn't necessarily be losing weight, but your performance could be suffering or any other physiological effect rather than scale weight. You could be catabolising muscle for energy even. Your body will try its absolute hardest to maintain a certain weight unless it is pushed to put on weight, its nowhere near as natural for your body to try and shed weight though, its not part of our nature and that's why its always harder for people to get started losing significant weight instead of putting on, unless its done for a long time and there are somewhat dramatic changes to your lifestyle and diet.
There is no real correlation to how much you've eaten calorie wise and weighins though. You can have 6000 calories from dense heavy low calorie foods, or you can have a dozen doughnuts that weigh probably 400grams or less, you know what I mean?
Only if you do it consistently will these calories not used be stored as fat weight, but that won't happen from one day to the next, but you will feel better performance wise for having all that food in your body. A lot of athletes do this. They load up on food the days before competition if they can afford it with their weighin (or don't have a weighin), or load up on food after their weighin.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #14
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 874
vCash: 75
Default Re: Over training?

Quote:
The phrase "eating as little as possible" is kind of vague not knowing how much that really is. If you could break that down to caloric intake daily, or a glimpse into what kind of foods you are eating and how often, that might give folks a better idea of what you're doing.

As for your training, running, weightlifting, again you are vague in the intensity of your workouts. Going to the boxing gym and hitting the heavy bag, jumping rope, sparring, ab work and shadow boxing a few rounds can be pretty intense depending on how long you're doing it. Running 2 miles a couple days a week is different than running 5 miles in the same time span.
You'll get better advice if folks on the forum know more detailed info.

That said, from the info I got from your post, you are draining yourself with a lot of activity and too little food to maintain your body.
Training= mondays, wednesdays, fridays= skipping 10 mins, shadowboxing 4 three min rounds, 4 rounds on heavy bag, 4 rounds on speed ball, for 3 mins each. Pads with trainer and sparring averagly on 2 of those days.
tuesdays, thursdays= run (no idea how far, but for apox 45 mins)
sat= 1 hour run, and full body work out to no lose to much musclemass
sunday rest
pichuchu is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #15
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 720
vCash: 500
Default Re: Over training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
6000 calories in a day? How the **** do you do that?
Easy, he's 15. Have you not seen what a 15 yr. male can eat??? I have, since I've raised a couple of them over the years. They can be bottomless pits when it comes to food, especially food they like. Add to that the fact the young man is working out pretty heavily for 6 days a week and you have a food devouring machine on your hands. Like I told my wife as the kids were in their teens---"I'd rather clothe them than feed them, much cheaper!!"

It's not that hard to eat 6000 calories in a day depending on what is eaten just as MrSmall has pointed out.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013