Old 05-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #16
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Over training?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichuchu View Post
Training= mondays, wednesdays, fridays= skipping 10 mins, shadowboxing 4 three min rounds, 4 rounds on heavy bag, 4 rounds on speed ball, for 3 mins each. Pads with trainer and sparring averagly on 2 of those days.
tuesdays, thursdays= run (no idea how far, but for apox 45 mins)
sat= 1 hour run, and full body work out to no lose to much musclemass
sunday rest

So on Monday, Wednesday and Friday you are in the boxing gym for about 2 hrs. doing your routine.

On Tuesday and Thursday you run for about 45 minutes, so, if you are running between an 8-15 minute mile pace, you may be running between 3-5 miles twice a week. You really should measure your course to see just how far you are running. It is easier to measure gains that way.

The only issue I see from my perspective is your Saturday workout. I, and most folks that work with weights, would not recommend a "Full Body" workout in one session.

To make muscle mass it is better to target particular muscles and work them with less reps but heavier weights. If you are wanting to maintain muscle tone, work with more reps, less weight. Personally, I feel you are not getting the work you need with your routine of a 1 day complete body workout.

If you could space it out over 3 workouts during the week and target specific body parts, you'd likely benefit more from it. For instance, Monday do biceps and lats, Wednesday, do chest and shoulders, Saturday do legs and triceps. My workouts only take me about 45-60 min. a day and I target particular muscle groups, but I won't do biceps and triceps on the same day as it takes away from the intensity of the last muscle you work if you work the arms like that. I will follow up my workout with a good bit of ab work 3-4 times a week.

I've gone back and real all your posts but no info on how tall you are and what you weigh. You mentioned you don't like to be the shorter fighter and want to lose weight to get in a different weight class I'm assuming. At 15, your body is going through a lot of changes and likely won't stop growing in some way until you are close to 20. There's only so much you can do to alter that, the rest is just a lesson in futility.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #17
MrSmall
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

He just ate 6000 in a day it wasn't every day!
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #18
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

i dont think 6000 calories is that bad myself i could eat more than that in a day happily infact i do on occasions lol AND im a little guy i can only imagine the sort of foods say a big powerlifter goes through in a day !
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #19
MrSmall
Journeyman

Anyway that wasn't what his post was about.

Back to topic.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #20
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
He just ate 6000 in a day it wasn't every day!

I understood the post as a 1 day thing and realize it is not an everyday thing. If it was, he'd be asking for advice on how to lose the cottage cheese ass he has accumulated with his diet.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #21
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I've gone back and real all your posts but no info on how tall you are and what you weigh. You mentioned you don't like to be the shorter fighter and want to lose weight to get in a different weight class I'm assuming. At 15, your body is going through a lot of changes and likely won't stop growing in some way until you are close to 20. There's only so much you can do to alter that, the rest is just a lesson in futility.
Im not 15. im 19 years old
pichuchu is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #22
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
If you could space it out over 3 workouts during the week and target specific body parts, you'd likely benefit more from it. For instance, Monday do biceps and lats, Wednesday, do chest and shoulders, Saturday do legs and triceps. My workouts only take me about 45-60 min. a day and I target particular muscle groups, but I won't do biceps and triceps on the same day as it takes away from the intensity of the last muscle you work if you work the arms like that. I will follow up my workout with a good bit of ab work 3-4 times a week.
I do the weights on satudays so my muscles are not too sore or dead for boxing training
pichuchu is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #23
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Im not 15. im 19 years old

My mistake, I saw 15 when glancing at some follow-up posts and it wasn't yours.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #24
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I do the weights on satudays so my muscles are not too sore or dead for boxing training
That's kind of the problem with trying to do a whole body workout at one time. You overtax your muscles with too much, too soon. If you worked out in steps and targeted specific muscles on each workout like I mentioned, you probably wouldn't feel so sore once you got use to the routine.

Plus you could take Saturdays off after the run and have almost 2 full days to recover. Rest is important for muscle recovery.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #25
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
That's kind of the problem with trying to do a whole body workout at one time. You overtax your muscles with too much, too soon. If you worked out in steps and targeted specific muscles on each workout like I mentioned, you probably wouldn't feel so sore once you got use to the routine.
yeah that does make sence i apreciate the advice. But i was wondering wouldnt it be counter productive to work out on days i go to the boxing gym, or the day before?
pichuchu is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #26
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
yeah that does make sence i apreciate the advice. But i was wondering wouldnt it be counter productive to work out on days i go to the boxing gym, or the day before?
If you only lift weights one day a week then definately a full body rotuine, not that it matters what you do, one day a week won't make any difference to your muscle mass.
viru§™ is online now  Top
Old 05-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #27
MrSmall
Journeyman

If your priority is boxing, don't feel like you have to do some strength training for the sake of it if you don't want to fit it in or take the time to get used to doing it to complement your boxing.

And the 15 year old is the other dude not this dude.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #28
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
If you only lift weights one day a week then definately a full body rotuine, not that it matters what you do, one day a week won't make any difference to your muscle mass.
it doesnt make a difference but it helps retain it doesnt it? What i understand is that cardio (running, which i do alot of) burns muscle and fat...
pichuchu is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #29
MrSmall
Journeyman

It does make a difference and you can make some gains, and of course helps maintain.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #30
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
It does make a difference and you can make some gains, and of course helps maintain.
Why do you think you can gain muscle and or strength (if you believe that to) with just a single day of weight training? Frequency is key when trying to build muscle. We both know how tough it is to build muscle, even when training hard 4 or more days a week. I don't see why you think one day a week would be effective in the slightest?
viru§™ is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing