Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 05-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054
Default geale vs sylvester

was this the type of fight that could be scored so widely different by the judges .i am asking as i have not seen the fight yet
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Shark Attack
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: geale vs sylvester

I dont think so Mr Butt the fight IMO was a lot closer than the scorecards indicated .

watch here - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R9fd-tv848[/ame]

I must congratulate Daniel Geale on his victory and acknowledge the monumental effort in winning a genuine world title belt in a foreign country .
That said i am also of the opinion that to win a belt as a challenger against the champ in his own backyard he must be very dominant in a points victory or win by TKO/KO .
Daniel didn't do either and although he got the victory did he really do enough to take the belt off the champ Sylvester ??
Shark Attack is offline  Top
Old 05-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
stewy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

disagree shark attack... Geale was the far busier fighter and a clear winner in a close fight...i had it 116-112... no way it was 118-110.. even Sylvester's trainer and Seb himself in the ring after the bout in German said they thought Daniel had won..
stewy is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 03:13 AM   #4
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

The guest won the fight hands down, but the scorecads are yet another indicator of how ridiculous official scoring at times is, I mean two judges had it like 8 rounds in favour of the guest and the third had it for sylvester by roughly the same margin, they must have watched completely different fights then.

116-112 is deffo a score I can agree with that. Geale was busier, sylvester had a few of his typical clean and sharp shots on target but too few of them, he had a low workrate. Sylvester had no problem admitting defeat after the bout.
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #5
Dantes
ESB Magnate
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Attack View Post
I dont think so Mr Butt the fight IMO was a lot closer than the scorecards indicated .

watch here - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I must congratulate Daniel Geale on his victory and acknowledge the monumental effort in winning a genuine world title belt in a foreign country .
That said i am also of the opinion that to win a belt as a challenger against the champ in his own backyard he must be very dominant in a points victory or win by TKO/KO .
Daniel didn't do either and although he got the victory did he really do enough to take the belt off the champ Sylvester ??
Yes. He outpointed the German- anyway you want to slice it he deserved the win. No rule exists that you have to beat the champ by a clear margin...
Dantes is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
ybsteam

I had Geale a clear winner, he out punched Sylverster 2 or 3 to 1, a lot of the punches were bolcked those that landed were far from bone crunchers, but he still did enough.

Germany is among the hardest place's to go and come away with a decision, maybe this is the start of somethng new in German scoring.
ybsteam is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
the beaver
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't agree that you have to clearly dominate the champ to get a win in their backyard...... If you win the fight you win the fight.....as simple as that.

Ok if a round is super close and the judge doesn't want to give a 10-10rd, then maybe give it 10-9 to champ.
the beaver is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #8
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

It was a good fight. There were some close rounds.

Geale was the clear winner.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 04:12 AM   #9
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsteam View Post
maybe this is the start of somethng new in German scoring.

Haven't been into boxing for long have you?

Schulz lost a decision to Botha, I d say it was disputable
DM lost on points to Gonzalez, it was a sd should have been a UD
Maske lost a decision to Hill, again the scoring at least a bit controversial
and there were several others, beyer lost to an italian bloke once i remember, häussler lost several bouts on points at home.
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 04:58 AM   #10
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flurry View Post

and there were several others, beyer lost to an italian bloke once i remember, häussler lost several bouts on points at home.

as you know i have been quite critical of ottke fights in the past , germany may be a difficult place at times to get a decision in but it is not impossible. as i have not seen the entire geale fight i cant comment on that one but thanks to everybody that has contributed to this thread .

but it was not intended to be a lets knock the german boxing integrity thread .so lets not please turn this into a cheat accusation type thread
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 05:32 AM   #11
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post
as you know i have been quite critical of ottke fights in the past , germany may be a difficult place at times to get a decision in but it is not impossible. as i have not seen the entire geale fight i cant comment on that one but thanks to everybody that has contributed to this thread .

but it was not intended to be a lets knock the german boxing integrity thread .so lets not please turn this into a cheat accusation type thread
well im not tryng to turn this thread into anything Im merely responding to a statement made by a poster in your thread. I was giving examples to disprove his arguement.

I wasnt even aware you d started the ottke thread, sorry to say, Im not really familiar with your username,
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 05:35 AM   #12
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
well im not tryng to turn this thread into anything Im merely responding to a statement made by a poster in your thread. I was giving examples to disprove his arguement.
sorry Flurry i was'nt really talking about you

YBsteam (quote)
I had Geale a clear winner, he out punched Sylverster 2 or 3 to 1, a lot of the punches were bolcked those that landed were far from bone crunchers, but he still did enough.

Germany is among the hardest place's to go and come away with a decision, maybe this is the start of somethng new in German scoring
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 07:09 AM   #13
ybsteam

Hey Guys i'm Not Knocking German Scoring, Bad decisions happen all over the world, the fights you point out are all good, i'm taking an overall view from the last 10yrs, and simply pointing out that it is hard to walk away with a decision, and i stand by what i said, but things are improving.

We all have different views,thats what makes the world go round, i will never post anything to knowlling upset anyone, so lets not get personal.

For the record boxing is my business, i've been involved in the sport for over 25years, but that's not really the point.... were all aloud our own views.
ybsteam is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #14
Flurry
Krautchamp
ESB Jr Member

I wasnt getting personal, was I, merely referring to the word "new" in your phrase "maybe this is the start of something new in German scoring ", there have been plenty of decision in favour of guestfighters in the past, so the word "new" is a bit out of place.

Quite surely there also have been lots of bad decisions in germany (as there have been in the states, DLH vs Sturm Foreman Vs Schulz), but thats a different chapter of the book, i wasnt disputing that.

Lets keep strict to the quotes, lets not get jumpy
Flurry is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
badlefthook84
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Ottke-Reid. Enough said !
badlefthook84 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum