boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 05-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
sunderland lad
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default best way of using punchbags

I'm just wondering is it best to use the punchbags in a certain order when you're training, eg 3 rounds on the heavy bag, then 3 on the maize bag, floor to ceiling bag, speedball etc? I normally do it like this but by the time I've done a few rounds on the heavy bad I'm already knackered, what's the best way of doing it? Is it better to mix it up even, like 1 round on the maize bag, then the heavy bag, then back on the maize bag?
sunderland lad is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2011, 02:25 AM   #2
Leonius
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: best way of using punchbags

The best way is to sort your fitness out so that you don't get knackered so easy.

Also you could be overdoing it on the heavy bag if your just wailing away rather than working on technique. Save the all out's for the end of the session.

You want to train your skills at the beginning of the session when your are fresh and then end the session with fitness drills like non stop punching on the heavy bag etc.
Leonius is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2011, 06:15 AM   #3
christos

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
christos is offline  Top
Old 05-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I usually go from most to least technical, i.e., Shadow Box > Double end > whatever else you do > Heavy bag. Reason being is that the heavy bag, while a great strength and endurance builder, doesn't do much for your footwork and balance while throwing big punches.

So as another poster said, sharpen your skill while your mind and body are fresh. Then increase your power and endurance by pushing the envelope on the heavy bag. When you think about it this is how a fight generally progresses.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 05-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #5
sunderland lad
Journeyman

thanks for the advice lads, i'll take it on board when i go to the gym tomorrow
sunderland lad is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
P.4.P.G.O.A.T.
Q Boro Killa Bee
ESB Addict

vCash: 13418

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
I usually go from most to least technical, i.e., Shadow Box > Double end > whatever else you do > Heavy bag. Reason being is that the heavy bag, while a great strength and endurance builder, doesn't do much for your footwork and balance while throwing big punches.

So as another poster said, sharpen your skill while your mind and body are fresh. Then increase your power and endurance by pushing the envelope on the heavy bag. When you think about it this is how a fight generally progresses.
This is sound advice. I always feel more productive doing my double end bag work when I'm fresh. Hands, feet, and head movement are all faster.
P.4.P.G.O.A.T. is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #7
Amrn4s
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:

Sounds like good advice Ill try this tomorrow when I hit the gym. I usually do this backwards. Never thought about doing it in this order. It really does make sense.

Thanks
Amrn4s is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #8
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:

Another handy thing about this is going from lesser impact exercises you should be fully warmed up by the time you get to the heavy bag, especially if your tired and technique is starting to lack sightly helps reduce injury then for example getting straight on the heavy bag and flailing away
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
BoxinScienceUSA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

you can also use it to get comfortable with footwork angles. push the bag and swing it in a straight line. when it comes at you, shuffle back (retreating). when it swings away from you, shuffle forwards (engaging). do this for a round or so and simply dance with the bag. once you become comfortable and patient with that, add angles. swing the bag and shuffle fwd/back once, twice, then on the third time when the bag comes at you, sidestep to the left, pivot to 180 getting behind the bag and starting all over again. once, twice, third time sidestep right, pivot 180 and get behind the bag. repeat this over and over and over and over again. and then do it some more.

this will help so much to get your foot outside your opponent's base before you angle. its immediate feedback. if the bag can run you over, so will your opponent. after you get positioning down then add punches. positioning is most important though. it doesn't matter how the punch was thrown if you're not in position to land it.
BoxinScienceUSA is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Two great points by Johnboy and BoxinScience.

To add a spin on the thread using their two points, I also use the heavy bag in a "technical" way. Once I get the bag moving I throw the "CORRECT" punch at it depending on its direction of movement.

-- Coming toward me far - Jab(*X), straight, fast "counter/check" hook, side shuffle/stance switch and body upper
-- Coming toward me close - quick lead upper-duck-roll, rear upper-left hook
-- Moving right - high/low right hook, shovel hooks (across the \ slant)
-- Moving left - high/low left hook, shovel hooks (across the / slant)

Then adding the combinations/complexity accordingly. It is a bit more technical and gives you a day to "think" on the bag while giving the muscles and reflexes a workout while resting the joints as it is a bit harder to "wail away" trying to do the "right" thing rather than just attacking.

Some of you young bucks don't have to worry about that though, hahaha!
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
Steenalized
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 203

Quote:

That's generally the course I follow. When I get to the gym I go Stretching > Jump Roping > Shadow Boxing > Maize Bag/Double End Bag (sometimes one or the other, sometimes both) > Heavy Bags > Core workout > Stretching
Steenalized is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2011, 02:34 AM   #12
BoxinScienceUSA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Two great points by Johnboy and BoxinScience.

To add a spin on the thread using their two points, I also use the heavy bag in a "technical" way. Once I get the bag moving I throw the "CORRECT" punch at it depending on its direction of movement.

-- Coming toward me far - Jab(*X), straight, fast "counter/check" hook, side shuffle/stance switch and body upper
-- Coming toward me close - quick lead upper-duck-roll, rear upper-left hook
-- Moving right - high/low right hook, shovel hooks (across the \ slant)
-- Moving left - high/low left hook, shovel hooks (across the / slant)

Then adding the combinations/complexity accordingly. It is a bit more technical and gives you a day to "think" on the bag while giving the muscles and reflexes a workout while resting the joints as it is a bit harder to "wail away" trying to do the "right" thing rather than just attacking.

Some of you young bucks don't have to worry about that though, hahaha!
you're right, that's a great next step! and when you start to hit the bag it will give you direct feed back on your timing and effectiveness (eg. if i jab the bag too early my punch gets stuffed and the bag stops OR i jab the bag too late and the bag swings escessively)
BoxinScienceUSA is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #13
HookwitdaHookah

I wonder why my trainers have me do the exact opposite of the advice here?
Warm up-->Jump rope 10 minutes-->Heavy Bagx3-->Double end bagx3-->Speed Bagx3-->and lastly pad work x3.

I'm always spent by the time I get to the pads. I even asked them, "shouldn't I be doing pads first when I'm fresh?" Nope, this is how they did it when they were ametuers/pros and the way I should do it too. Maybe its cuz they're mexicans and believe in toughness over skill?
HookwitdaHookah is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing