Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 05-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #1
Rakim
Captain ****wit

vCash: 6000
Default Anyone else do light, fasted cardio?

Being a fat cunt these days, I've decided to start doing a bit of cardio. I saw this light, fasted stuff recommended by Smalls and a couple of others in the Lounge, and decided to give it a go.

How light is the cardio supposed to be? I've been doing a quick walk.

What do you eat when you get back? I've found starting off with a bit of exercise makes me want to eat a bit better throughout the day.

Any other tips to make it more effective? I've done three sessions so far, two were 35 minutes, and one was half an hour.

Cheers.
Rakim is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
MrSmall
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Anyone else do light, fasted cardio?

quick "brisk" walk is what is needed.
When you get back don't eat shit, eat a decent breakfast.

Try and make it 40 minutes daily.
Have a black coffee if that is your thing, beforehand.

Should see GREAT results.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
Rakim
Captain ****wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
quick "brisk" walk is what is needed.
When you get back don't eat shit, eat a decent breakfast.

Try and make it 40 minutes daily.
Have a black coffee if that is your thing, beforehand.

Should see GREAT results.

I don't drink coffee, any other recommendations? I won't be able to do it every day, but I should be able to go around 4 times a week.
Rakim is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
MrSmall
Journeyman

That's fine, I don't either.
4 times a week should still be ok.
40 minutes minimum then.
You can take a caffeine pill?
Or get some reflex green tea extract pills and take 3 before you go out for that there walk.
I say the expensive reflex nutrition ones because they have good levels of polyphenols which is what you want in them, a lot of others are much cheaper but those are pitifully low so you just need to take a dozen to make up for it.

Do you eat porridge or eggs? A combo of the two ideal when you get back.
Drink lots of water, 3L a day. Dehydration even by 1% can take months to rehydrate from and it slows your metabolism right down.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
Rakim
Captain ****wit

Quote:
That's fine, I don't either.
4 times a week should still be ok.
40 minutes minimum then.
You can take a caffeine pill?
Or get some reflex green tea extract pills and take 3 before you go out for that there walk.
I say the expensive reflex nutrition ones because they have good levels of polyphenols which is what you want in them, a lot of others are much cheaper but those are pitifully low so you just need to take a dozen to make up for it.

Do you eat porridge or eggs? A combo of the two ideal when you get back.
Drink lots of water, 3L a day. Dehydration even by 1% can take months to rehydrate from and it slows your metabolism right down.

What do the polyphenols do?

I always drink a load of water anyway, and I'll try and have eggs or somethign when I get back, cheers.
Rakim is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
MrSmall
Journeyman

They are just a measure for the concentration of the green tea extract.
Just eat as you are now really and see the result adding the cardio and no other changes, then see after about a month.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
Rakim
Captain ****wit

Quote:
Just eat as you are now really and see the result adding the cardio and no other changes, then see after about a month.

Yeah I think I'll go for that. I'll carry on doing what I'm doing, stick with the heavy lifting, and just see how much difference this light fasted stuff makes.
Rakim is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

This looks interesting

Mrsmall have you got some links to reliable sources and stuff so i can have looksy?

I dont do Long slow distance stuff anymore i try to stick to HIIT as iv found it more effective.

Is light fasted cardio recommended for everyone? Is it just purely for fat loss? Im 6ft and 12.0 stone on a good day. Im not really needing to loose weight as such as i dont compete in a weight class ( and i feel alot stronger and healthier than when i weighed 11.5 stone! ) . Just generally interested. Any info you can give appreciated
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Buy a Mountain Bike.

Rack up the miles.

Clean up your diet.

Profit?
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
MrSmall
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post
This looks interesting

Mrsmall have you got some links to reliable sources and stuff so i can have looksy?

I dont do Long slow distance stuff anymore i try to stick to HIIT as iv found it more effective.

Is light fasted cardio recommended for everyone? Is it just purely for fat loss? Im 6ft and 12.0 stone on a good day. Im not really needing to loose weight as such as i dont compete in a weight class ( and i feel alot stronger and healthier than when i weighed 11.5 stone! ) . Just generally interested. Any info you can give appreciated
I recommend it PURELY for fat loss. This has been proven by anyone and everyone to be the most efficient way to lose bodyfat. Who need to be in peak aesthetic and lowest bodyfat condition as a top priority? Bodybuilders. And that's how they do it. It is boring and unexciting and takes time, but it gets the results, at no expense to your musculature which is usually a concern and should be for most people. More muscle = better metabolism apart from everything else, so you will be burning more fat anyway.
For athletic capabilities, performance, better endurance, HIIT is a better option for sure. When training for boxing, you shouldn't really need to do any fasted cardio since all your sports training will take care of bodyfat levels. If you are fat for your class, then throw it in there and clean up your diet, and train a bit harder, its hard to imagine anyone seriously boxing and being fat for very long.
The number two way to lose bodyfat? Build some muscle. By build some muscle you don't even have to gain much scale weight or inches on your legs etc, just changing your body composition to being more muscular will make your body a fat burning furnace!
So usually my recommendation is fasted cardio + heavy lifting, as a baseline for everyone wanting to lose fat. In addition to that, you add any sports training you want to be doing, or lessen or remove the fasted cardio if your bodyfat is at acceptable levels, and boom, you become a machine!
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

wow i never knew light fasted cardio would burn fat , personally ive always ran 3-6 miles or use hiit , or circuit training stuff , might try this though sounds ****ing easy compared to a long old run
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #12
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
I recommend it PURELY for fat loss. This has been proven by anyone and everyone to be the most efficient way to lose bodyfat. Who need to be in peak aesthetic and lowest bodyfat condition as a top priority? Bodybuilders. And that's how they do it. It is boring and unexciting and takes time, but it gets the results, at no expense to your musculature which is usually a concern and should be for most people. More muscle = better metabolism apart from everything else, so you will be burning more fat anyway.
For athletic capabilities, performance, better endurance, HIIT is a better option for sure. When training for boxing, you shouldn't really need to do any fasted cardio since all your sports training will take care of bodyfat levels. If you are fat for your class, then throw it in there and clean up your diet, and train a bit harder, its hard to imagine anyone seriously boxing and being fat for very long.
The number two way to lose bodyfat? Build some muscle. By build some muscle you don't even have to gain much scale weight or inches on your legs etc, just changing your body composition to being more muscular will make your body a fat burning furnace!
So usually my recommendation is fasted cardio + heavy lifting, as a baseline for everyone wanting to lose fat. In addition to that, you add any sports training you want to be doing, or lessen or remove the fasted cardio if your bodyfat is at acceptable levels, and boom, you become a machine!
thankyou very much interesting reading
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #13
MrSmall
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMPY KNUCKLES View Post
wow i never knew light fasted cardio would burn fat , personally ive always ran 3-6 miles or use hiit , or circuit training stuff , might try this though sounds ****ing easy compared to a long old run
HIIT, running, are much better for conditioning, endurance, vo2 max etc.
Purely for fat loss with minimal to no muscle loss, fasted brisk walking or crosstrainer or anything steady state low impact low intensity is ideal.
It's boring and takes time but gets the job done. HIIT, running etc is all good for that too of course just not as efficient and without any muscle loss (minor but still) and all that bullshit. It's minor stuff but it does make a difference.
Of course if time is pressing, or you need something to do with your other workouts in the afternoon or any other time after food consumed, nail the HIIT. But in optimal conditions, fasted steady cardio works best.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #14
RightHooker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Damn, I get up and run 5 miles or do sprints or 8 rounds of hard shadow boxing before eating.

Get cramps if I eat too close to exercise and don't have time in the morning to eat let it digest and then workout.
RightHooker is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
MrSmall
Journeyman

you catabolise muscle to an extent for fuel if you do that, if the exercise is intense. To a minor extent, but it does make a difference overall, not so much to smaller guys (and most boxers are smaller guys unless light heavy+, if you are 140lbs soaking wet then the difference is negligible).
This is not ideal for conditioning purposes, only for fat loss purposes. It all depends on your goals! If you want to improve your conditioning and lose some weight, do HIIT. If you strictly want to lose bodyfat without any real conditioning benefits, do fasted steady state cardio. The benefit is it does not interfere with your recovery for any other training in the day, and doesn't potentially catabolise muscle.
Someone like Rakim should go with the second option, for a competitive boxer you should stick with what gives you the best performance in the ring which would probably be the HIIT option.
End of the day though - the BEST thing you can do, is to do what works well for YOU, that's all there is to it. I can go on about science and shit here but if you get up and run a 5k in 15 minutes every morning and you feel great and perform great, then obviously do that.
MrSmall is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing