Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 05-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #16
Rakim
Captain ****wit

vCash: 6000
Default Re: Anyone else do light, fasted cardio?

It hasn't cropped up yet, but am I alright to do my walk, get back and have some water and a decent meal, then go and lift weights an hour or so later?
Rakim is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #17
MrSmall
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

Of course.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #18
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
Being a fat cunt these days, I've decided to start doing a bit of cardio. I saw this light, fasted stuff recommended by Smalls and a couple of others in the Lounge, and decided to give it a go.

How light is the cardio supposed to be? I've been doing a quick walk.

What do you eat when you get back? I've found starting off with a bit of exercise makes me want to eat a bit better throughout the day.

Any other tips to make it more effective? I've done three sessions so far, two were 35 minutes, and one was half an hour.

Cheers.
Creating the habit of blocking out the time is the FIRST step. Just do a walk. Pace doesn't matter. Just do the walk regularly. Eventually start to pick up the pace. Maybe add a touch of jogging. Over time? You will be doing real work. Just create the habit and fitness will follow.

If you do it first thing in the morning? You should pound a glass or two of water first. Your body is pretty dehydrated from breathing all night. If you are going to push yourself? Have a plain glass of black coffee before you go. The caffeine will kick in about 20-30 minutes into your work out and give you a monster second wind.

When you get back? Just drink water and eat healthy. If you are just walking, best thing you can do before you get into fancy dieting is stopping eating 3-4 hours before bed time.

Starting out, doing = effective. Your body will handle the improvements. You just have to get your mind to handle the discipline to adhere to scheduling. Mon, Tue, Wed-off, Thur, Fri, Sat-longer, Sun-off.

Good luck man. Stay strong.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2011, 07:08 AM   #19
Rakim
Captain ****wit

vCash: 6000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
Creating the habit of blocking out the time is the FIRST step. Just do a walk. Pace doesn't matter. Just do the walk regularly. Eventually start to pick up the pace. Maybe add a touch of jogging. Over time? You will be doing real work. Just create the habit and fitness will follow.

If you do it first thing in the morning? You should pound a glass or two of water first. Your body is pretty dehydrated from breathing all night. If you are going to push yourself? Have a plain glass of black coffee before you go. The caffeine will kick in about 20-30 minutes into your work out and give you a monster second wind.

When you get back? Just drink water and eat healthy. If you are just walking, best thing you can do before you get into fancy dieting is stopping eating 3-4 hours before bed time.

Starting out, doing = effective. Your body will handle the improvements. You just have to get your mind to handle the discipline to adhere to scheduling. Mon, Tue, Wed-off, Thur, Fri, Sat-longer, Sun-off.

Good luck man. Stay strong.

Cheers mate, I went again this morning and it took 38 minutes. The only thing I haven't done so far is drink water before I go, I've been doing it on a completely empty stomach. I'll start by having a pint before I leave the house from now on.
Rakim is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #20
MrSmall
Journeyman

You might get stitch.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #21
skellington
Bogbrush
ESB Senior Member

It is surprising how much brisk walking can help you. I used to walk to the train station to go to work, and it would take about 45 minutes in total (both ways) per day. Since stopping doing that I've put on nearly a stone in weight! Exact same diet, a year older. It's the first weight I've put on in about 7-8 years.
So it is clear that brisk walking is an effective exercise for keeping your weight down.
skellington is offline  Top
Old 05-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #22
digit
Journeyman

vCash: 851

Weight loss is my biggest challenge so im keen to learn more on this and give it a try. Cheers!
digit is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #23
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
That's fine, I don't either.
4 times a week should still be ok.
40 minutes minimum then.
You can take a caffeine pill?
Or get some reflex green tea extract pills and take 3 before you go out for that there walk.
I say the expensive reflex nutrition ones because they have good levels of polyphenols which is what you want in them, a lot of others are much cheaper but those are pitifully low so you just need to take a dozen to make up for it.

Do you eat porridge or eggs? A combo of the two ideal when you get back.
Drink lots of water, 3L a day. Dehydration even by 1% can take months to rehydrate from and it slows your metabolism right down.
i sure it doesnt make a difference but wanted to check , can you go walk without a coffee and get the same result at the end IE i had a small glass of water this morning and then went .. ?
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #24
MrSmall
Journeyman

sure that's pretty much the same, just anything to speed up your metabolism helps a little, like green tea, caffeine etc
then again you won't suffer if you don't have any of that!
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #25
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
That's fine, I don't either.
4 times a week should still be ok.
40 minutes minimum then.
You can take a caffeine pill?
Or get some reflex green tea extract pills and take 3 before you go out for that there walk.

I say the expensive reflex nutrition ones because they have good levels of polyphenols which is what you want in them, a lot of others are much cheaper but those are pitifully low so you just need to take a dozen to make up for it.

Do you eat porridge or eggs? A combo of the two ideal when you get back.
Drink lots of water, 3L a day. Dehydration even by 1% can take months to rehydrate from and it slows your metabolism right down.
Not at all to discount this, but in my experience caffeine pills or any other pill that isolates caffeine rather than in a natural form coffee/tea seems to leave you prone to heart racing and jitters. Neither are good feelings.

Maybe less of a chance of this while walking versus doing more vigorous cardio.
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2011, 12:27 AM   #26
BladeJrs
N/A
ESB Jr Member

The fasted cardio is unnecessary, and with all due respect to MrSmall, simply another opinion on how to go about doing something when it comes to weight loss. It boils down to calories in vs. calories out. You don't need to do it fasted especially if you're a "fat cunt" since any cardio will help you lose weight, and food will help fuel you to even work out harder. Personally I tried fasted morning cardio and couldn't do it because I was lacking the energy to sustain a jog even half the distance I'd normally run. Basically the main thing is **it boils down to what you prefer to do**.

Several other supporting key points from a simple googling of fasted cardio:

-Exercise Physiologist Greg Landry, MS, author of "The Metabolism System for Weight Loss and Fitness," explains, "I agree that you burn a fuel mix that is a little higher in fat if you’re exercising on an empty stomach. However, I think the real question is, does that matter? I believe we have a ‘pool’ of calories stored in different forms in the body (fat, glycogen, etc.), so ‘burned’ calories all come from the same pool. Thus, it really doesn’t matter that the fuel mix has a little more fat in it at a given time. If it’s pulling from fat stores at that time, then it’s pulling less from glycogen stores and thus future consumed calories will be a little more likely to be stored as fat because glycogen stores are a little fuller. So it’s all a wash."

-Lyle McDonald, an expert on bodybuilding nutrition and author of "The Ketogenic Diet," agrees. He argues that the body will compensate later in the day and is simply "too smart" for strategies like this to make a substantial difference in results: "All that research says is that you burn a greater proportion of fat this way, which I agree with 100%," says Lyle. "The majority of research shows that as far as real world fat loss goes, it doesn’t really matter what you burn. Rather, 24-hour calorie balance is what matters. Because if you burn glucose during exercise, you tend to burn more fat the rest of the day. If you burn fat during exercise, you burn more glucose during the day. The end result is identical. If that weren’t the case, then athletes like sprinters who never ‘burn fat’ during exercise wouldn’t be shredded.

- [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

(I don't usually like posting things claiming "studies have shown..." because you can pretty much find a study supporting anything you want. If I showed a study claiming my laptop is black, someone could probably find a study claiming they found it to be red. You get the idea. )
BladeJrs is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2011, 05:12 AM   #27
MrSmall
Journeyman

BladeJrs, its an efficient way to lose fat, its a means to an end but definitely not the only way! Moving is the best thing you can do to lose weight over restricting calories and still sitting on your ass all day, that's an important factor for me too. Different stimulation (sprints) has different results (maybe the same, maybe better)! It's mostly based on calories in vs calories out, and if you are fat anything will help you lose weight. However, how do you really know what calories you are using, or need to lose, or need to gain weight? There are calculators, but you show me two that come up with the same numbers! Plus counting calories is a bit rubbish, unless its a general guideline as to avoid eating too much. But then again you can monitor that in other ways (are you getting fatter?).
Back to topic: sprints burn fat throughout the day sure, but the difference is the fasted steady state does not bother your recovery or ability to train later in the day, whereas if you have a solid sprint session, you might be compensating your recovery from your skills training, or other training you may wanting to be doing. Plus you can put the steady state pre breakfast, it doesn't interfere with your day. I don't think anyone would say fasted sprinting sessions are optimal to be done first thing in the morning. Plus something easy early in the morning starts the day off pretty nicely I think. And if you don't have the energy to have a brisk walk for 40 minutes in the morning without breakfast you have some sort of diet or fitness issues, no offence! But not a jog, which is what you said you had issues with, which is probably understandable to an extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
Not at all to discount this, but in my experience caffeine pills or any other pill that isolates caffeine rather than in a natural form coffee/tea seems to leave you prone to heart racing and jitters. Neither are good feelings.

Maybe less of a chance of this while walking versus doing more vigorous cardio.
It depends how used to caffeine you are! Green tea pills have a similar effect on your metabolism, but are more expensive, but don't give you the jitters.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 05-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #28
BladeJrs
N/A
ESB Jr Member

"its a means to an end but definitely not the only way!"

Which basically supports my point: do what works for you. I didn't say anyone had to run sprints, the point is you don't HAVE to do fasted cardio because it doesn't necessarily benefit someone more in terms of weight loss than other forms of cardio
BladeJrs is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2011, 01:15 AM   #29
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

My light cardio can be heading to the park with a soccer ball. Jog around throw in a few sprints.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 05-25-2011, 05:31 AM   #30
MrSmall
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeJrs View Post
"its a means to an end but definitely not the only way!"

Which basically supports my point: do what works for you. I didn't say anyone had to run sprints, the point is you don't HAVE to do fasted cardio because it doesn't necessarily benefit someone more in terms of weight loss than other forms of cardio
Yeah agreed mate. Just there are a few other benefits that I mentioned elsewhere from that one line of my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
My light cardio can be heading to the park with a soccer ball. Jog around throw in a few sprints.
sounds good, don't overdo it on an empty stomach though!
MrSmall is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing