Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-01-2007, 09:52 PM   #16
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How Good Was/is Marco Antonio Barrera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
I agree that Marquez is the most talented out of Morales, Barrera, and himself and that he is an underachiever. He doesn't have nearly the resume's of Barrera or Morales.

How do you see Morales-Marquez at 126 going with both at their best at that weight?
Thats a very tough fight to predict. I'd go with Marquez, but he'd have to get up from a knockdown to earn the decision. He got up from three knockdowns against Pacman, and once against Barrera to pull out wins. Lets not forget, he took some flush punches from Pacquaio during the 2nd round, and managed to weather the storm. His sharp punching and slick defense really took off after the 2nd round. And against Barrera he weathered the storm during the 8th and 9th rounds, to come back and dominate Barrera clearly during the 10th, and win the 11th and 12th rounds as well. No reason to suggest he could not do the same against Morales if he hit the canvas, same applies to if Pacman and Barrera can knock him down, so can Morales.

Barrera and Marquez are very similar type in terms of style. And we know how close the Barrera and Morales matches were. I thought Barrera won the first fight, and the third fight, and you could make a case for him winning the second fight as well, although it was disputed.

I feel Marquez has enough in his arsenal to beat Morales by 2-3 points, even after getting floored along the way.

I thought Marquez was punch perfect against Peden. He really gave that kid a serious lesson. He picked his punches like a master, and mixed in some lovely boxing with power punching. He hit Peden with a left hook to the body with about 10 seconds remaining at the end of the 10th round. Peden sagged from the effects of the punch, and took some more, the went back to his corner to violently puke blood into a bucket. It was gross. End of fight.
Robbi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #17
Fedor Em
Enforcement, VRWC style
ESB Addict

A boxer who had no major flaws in his prime, complete is the word when you talk about a prime MAB. Very good power, very good chin, great defense, great stamina, great speed, supreme counterpuncher(even when he got hit with a shot he was capable of countering that punch so fast), the man had it all, hell he is still an elite fighter(though not prime) and considering how long he has been boxing that is unbelieveable. Any man that can hold his own against Juan Manuel Marquez when he has been boxing since about 88-89 just proves what world class fighter he is.
Fedor Em is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #18
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

A great fighter.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 10:15 PM   #19
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

BORKED

Brooklyn. Here is a good clip showing Marquez' wide variety of punches from either hand. He wobbles Jandaeng with a left uppercut, then later in the round after a serious assualt from both hands, floors him with a left uppercut.

Just before the stoppgae he floors Jandaeng with a right uppercut, immediatley followed by a big overhand right. Thats not a combination you see very often in boxing, right uppercut/overhand right.

Many fighters are only comfortable throwing an uppercut from one hand, Marquez from either side no problem.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 10:32 PM   #20
jopez707
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 497

One of the greatest Mexican fighters ever. One of the ten best fighters of the last decade or so.
jopez707 is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 11:17 PM   #21
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
BORKED

Brooklyn. Here is a good clip showing Marquez' wide variety of punches from either hand. He wobbles Jandaeng with a left uppercut, then later in the round after a serious assualt from both hands, floors him with a left uppercut.

Just before the stoppgae he floors Jandaeng with a right uppercut, immediatley followed by a big overhand right. Thats not a combination you see very often in boxing, right uppercut/overhand right.

Many fighters are only comfortable throwing an uppercut from one hand, Marquez from either side no problem.
Thanks man!

I saw this a few months back, but watching it again helps me to remember just how good Marquez is...he's a beautiful boxer, a great counterpuncher, and a guy who is willing to fight you toe to toe. He is a master with uppercuts...the combination with the two left uppercuts was awesome.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 11:39 PM   #22
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Barrera was the complete fighter. He is one of my favorites so I am biased. But I will tell you this, when I saw him fight live (even on a so so night against Juarez) it was like watching a virtuoso, he adapted so many times during that fight and could do so many different things in the ring.

On top of that he was tought as nails.

A great fighter I would say.
acb is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 12:05 AM   #23
Oscar de la Roa
I'm THE lightweight champ
ESB Senior Member

I read an article at ring`s magazine once that barrera is known as the most balanced fighter in the sport, I think it was october 2006 edition
Oscar de la Roa is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 02:24 AM   #24
jyuza
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar de la Roa
I read an article at ring`s magazine once that barrera is known as the most balanced fighter in the sport, I think it was october 2006 edition
That's awful. Morales is much more balanced than Barrera.
jyuza is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 03:16 AM   #25
the_what
Bolo Punch KO
ESB Addict

Only behind Roy Jones and Felix Trinidad as the greatest fighters of my generation.
the_what is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum