Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 05-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
Pete Tong

vCash: 500
Default Being a coach.

This may seem a sort of strange post to add, but I just wanted to gather some general consensus on an issue that's been bugging me.

I'm 20 years old, and apart from 3 years boxing training when I was younger, I've no real experience as such of competing at a competitive level.

I've had an urge recently to get back into boxing, but not as a boxer as such but as a trainer/coach.

I just wondered, if you guys think that a coach should have a good boxing background behind him or if it's more down to the tutelage etc?
Pete Tong is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Being a coach.

I personally think you need a solid background in boxing to be a decent coach. It's the same with being a fitness instructor, for example. You have the awful instructors, the guys that go to college, learn all the bullshit they teach you and pass that on. Then you have the good guys that have been in gyms for years and have a solid foundation of knowledge and experience of what works vs what doesn't.

You can only be taught so much on a learning course. Most of what you teach has to be from experience.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #3
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
I personally think you need a solid background in boxing to be a decent coach. It's the same with being a fitness instructor, for example. You have the awful instructors, the guys that go to college, learn all the bullshit they teach you and pass that on. Then you have the good guys that have been in gyms for years and have a solid foundation of knowledge and experience of what works vs what doesn't.

You can only be taught so much on a learning course. Most of what you teach has to be from experience.
Demato only had 1 amateur fight, and he lost. I think boxing is something you can really study and get a grasp of it.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
Demato only had 1 amateur fight, and he lost. I think boxing is something you can really study and get a grasp of it.
If that were true we'd all be taking advice from Ylem.

To be good at teaching something you have to be half decent at whatever you're teaching so you can fix problems and have different ways of teaching things. Anyone can teach someone how to throw a jab, but to make it a really good jab would take experience.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
RightHooker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Go for it, most gyms will be happy to have an extra person around to help. Doesn't mean you'll be training their top boxers but there's always people to help, and will appreciate someone willing to work with them.
RightHooker is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
If that were true we'd all be taking advice from Ylem.

To be good at teaching something you have to be half decent at whatever you're teaching so you can fix problems and have different ways of teaching things. Anyone can teach someone how to throw a jab, but to make it a really good jab would take experience.
Disagree, if that were the case then Buddy McGirt wouldn't be such a shit trainer. There's a difference between knowing what to do, and actually doing it. Just like when you watch tape of yourself in a fight or sparring, you see things you may have not seen in the fight.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

There are examples of top coaches with minimal experience. I do think however you should get in the ring and have a reasonable amount of bouts to trully understand the competition process, how to interact with your fighter, psychological pressure etc.

No need to become a great champion (frequently top boxers are shit coaches), but get at least 20 odd bouts under your belt and then go for coaching.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2011, 02:27 AM   #8
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
Angelo Dundee never boxed I believe.

IMO you either learn your craft through experience, or through study.

Yes you do get guys who came out of Uni with sports degrees but cant train someone as well as someone who's just worked and learned it through the gym. However, its also true vice versa...there are many 'athletes' who couldnt teach a damm and guys who have probably never set foot in the gym but would know how to teach it.

Wasn't there a vid showing what a terrible coach Iran Barkley is?
dangerousity is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2011, 02:30 AM   #9
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk47 View Post
There are examples of top coaches with minimal experience. I do think however you should get in the ring and have a reasonable amount of bouts to trully understand the competition process, how to interact with your fighter, psychological pressure etc.

No need to become a great champion (frequently top boxers are shit coaches), but get at least 20 odd bouts under your belt and then go for coaching.
I agree, I think by 20 bouts, if you really study the game, you can learn a lot, enough to teach. However it would take many more bouts to put into practice and make a habit of what you've learned yourself.

As a coach you dont need to be able to do it, just know how to do it. Thats why those who cant, teach, and those who can, do.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2011, 04:04 AM   #10
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Iv toyed with the same idea. One day. I still want to do some more boxing yet and have an amateur career. I dont think its required to be a coach. If you are a good teacher and you study your craft then i believe you can coach anything. However i do think that it really helps as a coach in anything to have been there done it and got the t-shirt sort of thing. Even if it wasnt at a high level it would help to have some sort of boxing experience. If you had a coach that had never stepped foot in the ring you wouldnt be sure what he was telling you is correct.
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #11
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

I feel like extensive experience is not necessarily a MUST, but the more the better.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #12
nbg

i think to be a good trainer you need to practice it, same as anything else. you cant say you NEED to be a good boxer to be a good trainer, i think you just need to practice being a trainer and what to look for etc to become a good trainer
nbg is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
Dish
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

LEARNING TO BE A COACH is much more important.

Being a boxer doesn't make you a boxing coach. Being a coach makes you a boxing coach.

Learn the craft. Find a coach that can mentor you. It's a discipline unto itself.
Dish is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #14
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousity View Post
I agree, I think by 20 bouts, if you really study the game, you can learn a lot, enough to teach. However it would take many more bouts to put into practice and make a habit of what you've learned yourself.

As a coach you dont need to be able to do it, just know how to do it. Thats why those who cant, teach, and those who can, do.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #15
BoxerGaz
East Side Boxing VIP
ESB Addict

vCash: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Tong View Post
This may seem a sort of strange post to add, but I just wanted to gather some general consensus on an issue that's been bugging me.

I'm 20 years old, and apart from 3 years boxing training when I was younger, I've no real experience as such of competing at a competitive level.

I've had an urge recently to get back into boxing, but not as a boxer as such but as a trainer/coach.

I just wondered, if you guys think that a coach should have a good boxing background behind him or if it's more down to the tutelage etc?
Im abit older than you mate, and i have recently completed my Leaders course and just completed my Assistant course which is Level 1, i got to do a year training in a club, which im currently doing, i boxed previously when i was younger and consider to have a fair knowledge about boxing but would not consider myself as a master super expert and im doing alrite mate, i train ammateurs who are fighting in wales germany etc and i have had no bad comments. its what you put into it mate be 110% comitted and you will be fine!

G
BoxerGaz is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing