Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 05-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #16
MayweathersDraw

vCash:
Default Re: Being a coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Tong View Post
This may seem a sort of strange post to add, but I just wanted to gather some general consensus on an issue that's been bugging me.

I'm 20 years old, and apart from 3 years boxing training when I was younger, I've no real experience as such of competing at a competitive level.

I've had an urge recently to get back into boxing, but not as a boxer as such but as a trainer/coach.

I just wondered, if you guys think that a coach should have a good boxing background behind him or if it's more down to the tutelage etc?
Learning every punch and footwork can only make you an above average coach.

How do you throw the perfect punch?

Which way do you move?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #17
MayweathersDraw

vCash:

For a trainer in a fight.........

......... it’s the notes his fighter’s not playing.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:33 AM   #18
Slacker
Big & Slow
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
Disagree, if that were the case then Buddy McGirt wouldn't be such a shit trainer. There's a difference between knowing what to do, and actually doing it. Just like when you watch tape of yourself in a fight or sparring, you see things you may have not seen in the fight.
Exactly. If that weren't true then Sweet Pea and Anne Wolfe would be Freddie Roach.

On the other hand, Emmanuel Steward was a Golden Glove champion...so who knows.
Slacker is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #19
wayneflint
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

There are plenty around there just like you that take classes and establish themselves as senior coach in many amature gym's. My theory is 99% of the coaches out there do more harm than good to the fighters they train, the talented fighters usually figure most of it out for themselves despite poor coaching while the average are left scratching their head and looking for some secret workout regime that will correct their poor technique and style which is what coach should be able to do, but for some reason he can only do it for a few fighters in the gym, why is that? because the kids do it themselves and the coach might aswell not be there for all the good hes doing.

If you feel you have more to offer than other coachs around you then go for it, but bare in mind that your dealing with kids lives and their health, dont decide to get into coaching because you want a career change or a hobby, or to line your pocket, get into it because your passionate about the sport and you care for the kids and want to truely help and feel you have information you can give them that will help them, information that possibly theyre not already being given by their current coaches, these are the reasons i coach, because i know when i was a kid i could have had so much better coaching than was available to me, i never had a chance, i want to give that chance i never had to people and kids because i feel im in a position where i can do that now better than some people around me can, and its what the kids deserve.
wayneflint is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 AM   #20
CHAL_DIESEL
GOAT
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

There is a difference between coaching and participating in something. Also Enzo Calzaghe was a musician and he coached his son, and won trainer of the year a few years back.
CHAL_DIESEL is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing