Old 05-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 233
Default Blood Pressure

I just got my blood pressure measure and it was
113/61

I was wondering if that meant anything significant and what do the two numbers mean.

The last time I had it checked, I think it was like 121/64

Also I'm a 19 year old african american if that matters

Last edited by bballchump11; 05-23-2011 at 06:10 PM.
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Golden Boy 360
Boxing's Biggest Cash Cow
ESB Addict

vCash: 850
Default Re: Blood Pressure

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Golden Boy 360 is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #3
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Boy 360 View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
thanks that helped
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballchump11 View Post
I just got my blood pressure measure and it was
133/61

I was wondering if that meant anything significant and what do the two numbers mean.

The last time I had it checked, I think it was like 121/64

Also I'm a 19 year old african american if that matters
It means you are possibly on your way to being a statistic of the causes of death in the African American community. Now I am going to give you some tough/scare love...

I am no doctor, but for 19 years of age? There is something SERIOUSLY off with your numbers. The most alarming part is that your systolic pressure is ABOVE 120 (approaching 140!) and you diastolic blood pressure is alarmingly low (or normal for a VERY healthy guy).

The age and numbers point to you having a possible heart issue at worst and being at serious risk for health issues (heart attack, stroke, kidney failure, etc...) over time at best. You are far too young to have numbers like this.

Get proactive my man and get your heart scanned (ultrasound) for defects and start writing down your diet. I would definitely incorporate some slow/low intensity long cardio and a bowl of oatmeal. Also make sure you give blood 4 times per year. Start digging into your family history for what your people died of. If you find heart attacks? Get REAL focused on taking care of yourself.

This ain't a game man. You don't live for you. You live for the people around you that love you. Do them a favor and get on top of this Brotha!
bald_head_slick is offline  Top
Old 05-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #5
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald_head_slick View Post
It means you are possibly on your way to being a statistic of the causes of death in the African American community. Now I am going to give you some tough/scare love...

I am no doctor, but for 19 years of age? There is something SERIOUSLY off with your numbers. The most alarming part is that your systolic pressure is ABOVE 120 (approaching 140!) and you diastolic blood pressure is alarmingly low (or normal for a VERY healthy guy).

The age and numbers point to you having a possible heart issue at worst and being at serious risk for health issues (heart attack, stroke, kidney failure, etc...) over time at best. You are far too young to have numbers like this.

Get proactive my man and get your heart scanned (ultrasound) for defects and start writing down your diet. I would definitely incorporate some slow/low intensity long cardio and a bowl of oatmeal. Also make sure you give blood 4 times per year. Start digging into your family history for what your people died of. If you find heart attacks? Get REAL focused on taking care of yourself.

This ain't a game man. You don't live for you. You live for the people around you that love you. Do them a favor and get on top of this Brotha!
opps. That's a typo. My top number is 113 not 133

I'll fix that
Old 05-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
opps. That's a typo. My top number is 113 not 133

I'll fix that
Damn playa!

You stuff is really good then. You are fine.

And improving your cardio!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #7
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Damn playa!

You stuff is really good then. You are fine.

And improving your cardio!
thanks man
I was surprised to see my top number go down by that much. When does it get to the point that it may be too low
Old 05-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
thanks man
I was surprised to see my top number go down by that much. When does it get to the point that it may be too low
It can't and won't. If it gets "too low" you will know because you will wake up in a hospital and they will tell you! You pass out.

The top number is when your heart squeezes and the bottom number is when it releases. As long as the numbers are in sync? Everything is cool. For your age your numbers show that you are not only healthy, but in GOOD shape. You start a running program?

Make sure to write them down and keep track of them so you know about where they are depending on how you are living your life. Looks like you are living right now. Looking at them as you get older and make lifestyle changes (drinking, chilling, eating wrong, not sleeping right) might make you say damn, this ish has this DIRECT effect on my HEART? You will literally get a new understanding for when people say... "This ish is killing you!"
Old 05-23-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
It can't and won't. If it gets "too low" you will know because you will wake up in a hospital and they will tell you! You pass out.

The top number is when your heart squeezes and the bottom number is when it releases. As long as the numbers are in sync? Everything is cool. For your age your numbers show that you are not only healthy, but in GOOD shape. You start a running program?

Make sure to write them down and keep track of them so you know about where they are depending on how you are living your life. Looks like you are living right now. Looking at them as you get older and make lifestyle changes (drinking, chilling, eating wrong, not sleeping right) might make you say damn, this ish has this DIRECT effect on my HEART? You will literally get a new understanding for when people say... "This ish is killing you!"
yeah man I know what you mean. And yeah I've been training more often and running sprints and jump roping more often.
Also I just recently started to manage what I eat more thoroughly
Old 05-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
Jnes
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:

Even if it had been 133 that isn't that big of a deal. If you drank a cup or two of coffee or tea or were a little nervous in the doctor's office your systolic can easily go to 133 or higher.

Also let's say it WAS 133. Doctor won't prescribe anything because that is barely dangerous. The nurse won't even say anything. If you are lucky someone would ask you about your exercise and tell you to reduce sodium and/or alcohol intake. 133 is just not very high.

120/80 is a general comparison point but nobody bats an eye until you are at least 140/90 and higher. If you are young and there is no history of heart attacks, atherosclerosis, or diabetes in your family they especially will not care.
Jnes is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
bald_head_slick
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnes View Post
Even if it had been 133 that isn't that big of a deal. If you drank a cup or two of coffee or tea or were a little nervous in the doctor's office your systolic can easily go to 133 or higher.

Also let's say it WAS 133. Doctor won't prescribe anything because that is barely dangerous. The nurse won't even say anything. If you are lucky someone would ask you about your exercise and tell you to reduce sodium and/or alcohol intake. 133 is just not very high.

120/80 is a general comparison point but nobody bats an eye until you are at least 140/90 and higher. If you are young and there is no history of heart attacks, atherosclerosis, or diabetes in your family they especially will not care.
I think you are missing the context. It isn't the 133 that is the issue. It is his age of 19 and 133/61. There should never be a disparity that wide.

I don't know your credentials, but for you to go on this tangent and miss that is a bit... well I just hope you don't have health credentials. It seems you are more concerned with "knowing" than listening to the guy's actual situation. In any case it is moot because he mistyped. Still felt it should be said.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
Jnes
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
I think you are missing the context. It isn't the 133 that is the issue. It is his age of 19 and 133/61. There should never be a disparity that wide.

I don't know your credentials, but for you to go on this tangent and miss that is a bit... well I just hope you don't have health credentials. It seems you are more concerned with "knowing" than listening to the guy's actual situation. In any case it is moot because he mistyped. Still felt it should be said.

Wow your response is extremely slimy. Way to try to go for a low blow because someone undermined your internet boxing forum health expertise.

When I read this thread it was already known that his systolic was 113 and not 133, meaning that the difference between his systolic and diastolic was now a non-issue!

I was assessing your statements which seemed to focus on his systolic of 133. The way you phrased your paragraph it appears that you are pointing to that as the most important factor, and not underscoring the difference between the two numbers.

Quote:
The most alarming part is that your systolic pressure is ABOVE 120 (approaching 140!)
133 in itself is not very alarming

Quote:
The most alarming part is that your systolic pressure is ABOVE 120 (approaching 140!) and you diastolic blood pressure is alarmingly low (or normal for a VERY healthy guy).
This sentence does not make it clear that you are comparing the numbers with one another. It can easily be read that they are being assessed independently. You did not write a sentence explaining that there should not be a large difference between the two.

Listen, I think you had good intentions here, as did I. It probably seemed like I came in and criticized you. That isn't what I meant to do. But I did not appreciate your coarse response to my post, either.

Last edited by Jnes; 05-29-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Jnes is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #13
cheech
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 742

last week i volunteered to donate blood at my work. they tested my blood pressure which resulted in getting rejected. they would not allow to draw my blood because it was below the normal (90/40). I have not had any systems of passing out so I'm a little disappointed in their decision.
cheech is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #14
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech View Post
last week i volunteered to donate blood at my work. they tested my blood pressure which resulted in getting rejected. they would not allow to draw my blood because it was below the normal (90/40). I have not had any systems of passing out so I'm a little disappointed in their decision.
damn how the hell did it get that low?
Old 05-30-2011, 02:21 AM   #15
cheech
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 742

possibly a good healthy diet with great athletic conditioning. I'm in great shape.
cheech is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing