Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Did Smoger display gross incompetence?
Yes, in Sillakh vs. Wandera 1 2.13%
Yes, in Lebedev vs. Jones 16 34.04%
Yes, in BOTH 17 36.17%
No, in neither was he incompetent. 13 27.66%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000
Default Smoger f'ed up bigtime, TWICE

The esteemed Steve Smoger refereed two bouts on the card in Moscow today.

He managed to bungle both.

First, he allowed Sillakh-Wandera to go on for far too long.

From the bell to start to third round, Sillakh was landing clean and heavy blows that had Wandera in trouble. The fight could have been stopped in that opening minute, easily. Granted, Smoger has a reputation as a "fighter's referee", so it isn't surprising that he did not stop it at this point. Many referees would have, however. Then at one point Wandera was stunned badly and turned his back to flee. That's borderline "even Smoger should stop it" territory. Nope. Then Wandera gets knocked down and is in a daze. Stopped? No! Wandera gamely got up, failed to offer any defensive adjustment, and took many more clean shots before Smoger finally deigned to intervene.

Then, he hesitated for an unforgivably pregnant moment as Lebedev was finishing off Jones. From the time that Roy took on the "blank look" and jelly-neck from one particularly big shot, Lebedev threw no fewer than half a dozen fully-loaded bombs. Before the very last one, he paused and looked to see if Smoger was going to step between them. Smoger didn't. Lebedev threw. Jones fell.

Being a "fighter's referee" is one thing, but the reason everybody has always liked Smoger is that he allows contests to reach their natural conclusion within reason. He often lets it go when unsteadier hands would already have started waving - and often he is exonerated as the boxers who are 'in trouble' do in fact come back to rally, or at least begin intelligently defending themselves. Smoger is renowned not for bloodthirst, but for his impeccable sense of timing and a seemingly intuitive appreciation of just how hurt someone is or isn't.

He didn't have that timing, or that intuition tonight. He froze up, while those under his watch were getting hurt and suffering with needless excess due to his negligent inertia. It wasn't a fluke. It didn't happen once. It happened two times, in as many hours. As a result, the health of two pugilists could be severely jeopardized. His reputation probably will - quite deservedly - take a hit. This is coming from a big fan of SS.

Bottom line? No referee is infallible. Everybody's human. Smoger and Bayless are considered two of the very best by most. Bayless recently screwed up with the knockdown blunder during Pacquiao-Mosley. The key differences: a) Bayless had one momentary lapse in judgment, not two... b) Bayless later came out and apologized for his incompetence; it remains to be seen if Smoger will have the class to follow suit... and most importantly, c) Bayless' error was not directly hazardous to anyone's health, as both of Smoger's were.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
BoxKing
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Smoger f'ed up bigtime, TWICE

Well put, IB.

But that isn't the news of the day, the KO is.

I still can't believe he went down like that with a minute to go in the last round. I was SO hoping to see him get out of this without getting knocked out.

Still am quite speechless about it.
BoxKing is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
pong
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The stoppage was at 2:59 of the last round. Smoger was allowing Jones a chance to finish the fight.
pong is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
janeschicken
hard work! deadicayshin!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2048

When you hear Ron Lipton recount tales of Smoger and Mercante, you can really see where he's coming from. He flat-out said years ago that Smoger was consistently out of shape and not in the condition to ref professional fights. And when you look at what just happened to Jones, he just ****ing waddled in between Roy and Dennis while Roy was out on his feet.

That said, **** YOU ROY JONES! When you have your wife in tears at the event, when you've already admitted to getting MRI's done for double vision and loss of balance, and when you have the whole boxing community telling you to stop, you need to call it a day.
janeschicken is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pong View Post
The stoppage was at 2:59 of the last round. Smoger was allowing Jones a chance to finish the fight.
Shut the **** up.

There were fourteen seconds left on the clock.

EVERYBODY could see about 7 punches before the last one that Roy was knocked out on his feet and defenseless.

How is it that people watching on tiny little screens on their computer could see that more clearly than the third man in the ****ing ring?
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
Yo Pimp
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Yo Pimp is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
Bazooka
Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pong View Post
Again the ref was in a tuff place, had he stopped it that late, we may have or he may have never heard the end of it, we would have been hearing about Taylor vs Chavez and why the ref didnt or wasnt aware that the final ten second warning had already clicked etc...

But I also think that the final shot that did land should not have even been thrown now you can blame Smoger all you want, but any fighter in that position could clearly see Jones was already knocked out, he should have shown sportsmanship and just let Jones fall...
Bazooka is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
AffectedToaster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 139

In hindsight it definitely should have been stopped but i'm guessing the ref wanted to see Roy make it to the scorecards, if this had happened in the 5/6/7 round than i think the ref wouldn't have hesitated to jump in
AffectedToaster is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
BoxKing
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Shut the **** up.

There were fourteen seconds left on the clock.

EVERYBODY could see about 7 punches before the last one that Roy was knocked out on his feet and defenseless.

How is it that people watching on tiny little screens on their computer could see that more clearly than the third man in the ****ing ring?
+1000

I would have liked to see him finish on his feet.
BoxKing is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
BigBone
It was man, it ****in was
ESB Addict

I was about to open the same thread. Shame on you Steve Smoger!
BigBone is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #11
sadlittleboy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Could it be the fact that Roy is known for clowning around? It all looked "weird" and maybe, just maybe, Smoger thought "He's taking the piss and he's about to land a counter after looking out of it"
sadlittleboy is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
Steenalized
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 203

Normally I'm a big Smoger fan, but seeing those two fights today I can't see he did a good job, both should have been stopped way sooner.
Steenalized is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
EpsilonAxis
HNIC
ESB Addict

vCash: 2296

I can see why he did what he did. It may not have been the totally correct choice, but of all refs, Steve Smoger deserves the benefit of the doubt. He's normally an EXCELLENT referee.

I watching it, I think he expected Jones to fall on his own for that split second (he looked like he was about to) and simply didn't react fast enough when he didn't to jump in.

It was a mistake, but hindsight is 20/20.
EpsilonAxis is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
EpsilonAxis
HNIC
ESB Addict

vCash: 2296

delete
EpsilonAxis is offline  Top
Old 05-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
shimmy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Certainly Smoger wasn't perfect tonight, rare from him though. I say Roy retires now, Smoger seemed like who couldn't believe what he was seeing and had a human moment in the ring.
Either that or Smoger was checking out the hot ring card girls. Either way it wasn't his best night, and RJJ needs to retire, no fighter wants to beat the shit out of a Legend fighting past his prime, Lebedev could have finished it at will it seems but seemed content to carry Roy to the finish, just didn't quite make it.
shimmy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum