Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #181
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Most overrated HW of all time.

For the last time its Lennox Lewis!!!
One of the most Big fragil men ever.
He was a big,safty first ,fragil,heart & soul lacking overated HWC.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2007, 07:53 PM   #182
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHudson
Bummy Davis,

I am interested in your top 10 HWs based on your analysis below:

1) Who are the other HWs that are so good Ali has only 'a case' for top 4? Everyone else on the forum has Ali a lock for top2, and most at #1.

2) Where do you rank Holmes as I see you mock a top3 placing.

48 consecutive wins over a 13 year stretch, including Norton, Shavers, Weaver, Berbick, Witherspoon and Smith is a tremendous run of form.

I am also amazed at your comment that 'old timers' would laugh at a top3 ranking, as Holmes is the modern heavy that most resembled one of the craftsmen of the 20s and 30s. I think many old timers would approve of a high Holmes placing. I find the textbook ramrod job, the years of sparring and learning from Ali, plus his will-to-win and general guts as a very difficult combination to overcome.
I Have Ali at 3 but I see a lot of people have him rated over 1 as the all time greatest ever superman. Ali was a top 4 lock IMO but he could lose on a given night to Louis,Dempsey,Marciano,Frazier and others. Holmes won a split decision over a15 fight Witherspoon but many felt spoon won(Holmes never rematched him) Norton lost a SD to Holmes on 6/09/78 but Norton was KO'd in 1 by Shavers on 3/23/79 and dropped twice in the 10th round and lucky to Draw with journeyman Scott Ledoux on 8/19/79 and out of Nortons next 5 fights he won 2, Berbick was a wide punching muscle guy but look how Tyson bounced him around, Weaver was a19-8 fighter when Holmes fought him and he Wacked Holmes around the ring until a premature stop(Holmes never rematched Weaver) and Holmes never unified, Smith was a big Bum, Holmes also avoided to many fighters in his era,Page,Dokes,Coetzee,Thomas,Weaver,Williams and Witherspoon in rematches then he lost to soft touch Spinks but Holmes never tried to unify and avoided good right hand Bangers. Holmes had skills but avoided too many to be listed so high, I have Holmes bordering the top 10, he fought the weakest contenders and never unified
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 07:59 PM   #183
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Ali is usually over-rated, Dempsey, also. Both are given more credit than is due for their abilities because they came around at the right time.

But no one is more over-rated than Jack Johnson, a middlin' champion at best. A more sober eye finds him quite disappointing.

Lewis is decidedly under-rated. I would bet on him to beat any champion head-to-head who ever lived. He could lose, no doubt, but the ODDS are he would win.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 08:00 PM   #184
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Even PRIME Tyson?? Or Joe Louis?? I dont see Lewis getting by them.

Last edited by rapidfyre; 04-01-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 08:05 PM   #185
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Lewis had a great offence but not lasting stamina or late power, his KO over Rahman was classic(but Maskaev did it to Rahman also 2 times) tKo over Rudduck was good, Ko over Golota,Botha,Grant very good but the talent was abit better than ordinary, He could not hurt Evander or Mercer, so he is hard to judge
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #186
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
Ali is usually over-rated, Dempsey, also. Both are given more credit than is due for their abilities because they came around at the right time.
Yeah, Ali was so lucky to come thru such a weak era wasn't he. Sonny Liston the champ, then followed by peak Frazier and Foreman. Easybeats, all three. Contenders like Young, Norton, Lyle, Shavers, more fruit.

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 08:42 PM   #187
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Yeah, Ali was so lucky to come thru such a weak era wasn't he. Sonny Liston the champ, then followed by peak Frazier and Foreman. Easybeats, all three. Contenders like Young, Norton, Lyle, Shavers, more fruit.

Not that I don't think Ali was great, I just don't think his farts cure cancer like some.

Devil's Advocacte...
Liston was old as dirt and threw at least one of those fights for money or fear.

Norton would not even be remembered were it not for the fact he had Ali's number.

Foreman beat two decent (one good in Norton and one well on his way down in Frazier) fighters in his early reign. Probably the most protected heavy prospect of all time.

Shavers got beat by lots of people noone remembers, Young was a sparring partner, Lyle a stubborn but not all that talented cat...

Meanwhile, Ali got gifted Norton III, lost to Spinks-unforgiveable at any age, and fought a bunch of fleabags in the 70's.

OK, back to reality, do I consider Ali one of the top 2 heavies of all-time by virtue of his record? Yes. Can I still consider him to be over-rated despite this lofty praise? Yes.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 10:06 PM   #188
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Not that I don't think Ali was great, I just don't think his farts cure cancer like some.

Devil's Advocacte...
Liston was old as dirt and threw at least one of those fights for money or fear.

Norton would not even be remembered were it not for the fact he had Ali's number.

Foreman beat two decent (one good in Norton and one well on his way down in Frazier) fighters in his early reign. Probably the most protected heavy prospect of all time.

Shavers got beat by lots of people noone remembers, Young was a sparring partner, Lyle a stubborn but not all that talented cat...

Meanwhile, Ali got gifted Norton III, lost to Spinks-unforgiveable at any age, and fought a bunch of fleabags in the 70's.

OK, back to reality, do I consider Ali one of the top 2 heavies of all-time by virtue of his record? Yes. Can I still consider him to be over-rated despite this lofty praise? Yes.
A negative slant like this can be aimed at anyones career/record. This is absolute worst case scenario. The facts are that Ali very likely fought the toughest collective of any Heavyweight champ ever. If we really want to get back to reality, 3 of Ali's victims are commonly found in the Top 10 Heavyweight lists ever, often all 3 at once.

Last edited by cross_trainer; 04-01-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:42 PM   #189
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Fraizer sometimes makes my list. Foreman often does also. Liston has never made my top ten list. He is always a what if, sort of like Baer.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:49 PM   #190
Street Lethal
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Rocky Marciano. It wasn't that he wasn't a hell of a fighter, but when I see him ranked in the top 10 all time list then he is overrated.
Street Lethal is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 10:52 PM   #191
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
A negative slant like this can be aimed at anyones career/record. This is absolute worst case scenario.
bullshit. facts are facts. Foreman was entirely protected. Liston threw at least one of those fights. Norton would be another over-exalted 70's contender were it not for his ability to give Ali fits- that is the ONLY thing he has going for him. Shavers, Young and Lyle were were b-level fighters at best. Dispute these contentions, please.

Ali is OVER-rated but still highly rated by me. OVER-rated because many want to deify him rather than take him warts and all.

Oh yeah, no body attack, clinched and held as much as any heavy since 1910, allowed to grab the ropes, clutch opponents necks...

Still, number 2 all-time in my book as a heavy.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 10:58 PM   #192
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
Fraizer sometimes makes my list. Foreman often does also. Liston has never made my top ten list. He is always a what if, sort of like Baer.
Liston comes down heavily to personal perception and criteria. He always makes my top 10, lower half. I look at all the work he did pre title, basically clearing the challengers Patterson wasn't so keen to face. Sonny really should have been champ at this time but couldn't get his shot. By the time he fought Clay he was getting a bit old and facing a stylistic nightmare. The second fight was a fix IMO. Almost definitely. Head to head i think he beats Frazier and Foreman.

You know, this convo inspires me to get some reading material about Sonny. I think there is 2 books. I must look.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:09 PM   #193
hdog
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Roy Jones Junior?

Last edited by hdog; 07-28-2007 at 11:27 PM.
hdog is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2007, 11:14 PM   #194
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
bullshit. facts are facts. Foreman was entirely protected.
I knew you absolutely hated Liston, but didn't realise you were so hard on Foreman as well, sheesh.

Ok. Protected? I'd term it brought along carefully rather than protected. At the end of the day he still had to face a champion that had beaten Ali and was held in great esteem. A great fighter. You can spin the old and fragile stuff all day but the facts are Foreman beat a dominant champion, a great one. Not only beat him, he anniliated the man. Obliterated. He did the same thing to the decent, very decent, Norton. It wasn't even a contest. Spare me the crap that Foreman isn't a great fighter or a great, absolutely great, win for Ali. Even at a ridiculous age he was still able to come back and win the world title. Little doubt you will attack Moorer, but a fact is indeed a fact.

Quote:
Norton would be another over-exalted 70's contender were it not for his ability to give Ali fits- that is the ONLY thing he has going for him. Shavers, Young and Lyle were were b-level fighters at best. Dispute these contentions, please.
This group is no worse than the main of pretty much any champion ever. Are we forgetting the fits Norton gave Holmes by any chance? That's not one, but two great fighters he troubled immensely. Norton is a damn good fighter who struggled vs aggressive big hitting fighters but was a nightmare for all others. Add Liston, Foreman and Frazier on top and we have the best group of names on any champs resume IMO.

Out of interest, what champion faced better opposition than Ali? We might open up their opposition under a similar light.

Quote:
Ali is OVER-rated but still highly rated by me. OVER-rated because many want to deify him rather than take him warts and all.
I myself rate the Ali that was exiled as the best of him. I think he lost a fair bit of effectiveness later which showed in later struggles vs Young, Norton and co.

Quote:
Oh yeah, no body attack, clinched and held as much as any heavy since 1910, allowed to grab the ropes, clutch opponents necks...
You forget a seldom used left hook, but he did quite ok with what he had. Again, any champ can be dragged down. Louis had heavy feet, tho he'd be close to the most complete heavyweight ever.

Quote:
Still, number 2 all-time in my book as a heavy.
I have Ali 1 and Joe 2, but it's debatable. Joe didn't have the great wins Ali had (Tho you'd disagree lol) but he had a sensational level of consistency. Great fighters.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:42 AM   #195
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Lethal
Rocky Marciano. It wasn't that he wasn't a hell of a fighter, but when I see him ranked in the top 10 all time list then he is overrated.
Marciano belongs in the top heavyweights of all time. He earn and prove himself to be with the elite. He has beating Great fighters and HOFERS like Louis, Walcott, Charles and Moore. And 3 of em were a murders role at the time.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum