Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #76
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588
Default Re: Most overrated HW of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert ungurean
L.Lewis is so overated its sick.
For all that size he was fragile & lacked a warriors heart.
Who wants to see a 6'5 245 ib man constantly fight safty first because he knows his chin has glass in it.
Not me for one.So glad he retired.
Sir you clearly understand exactly how completely overrated Lewis is. Believe me, there are people around here who say he was the GOAT!!!!! It's insane. Like I said, he wasn't even the best HW of his era. Holyfield was CLEARLY greater, and Tyson, too for that matter, although I'll admit that's at least arguable.
Zakman is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #77
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
L.Lewis is so overated its sick.
For all that size he was fragile & lacked a warriors heart.
Who wants to see a 6'5 245 ib man constantly fight safty first because he knows his chin has glass in it.
Not me for one.So glad he retired.
Robert i've no wish to fall out with you over this but you're opinion where Lewis is concerned clearly can't be trusted.

It's fair enough for you to dislike him - I understand why - but i'd suggest that your dislike makes it impossible for you to make an unbiased view.

Your dislike for him shines through in this post.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 09:12 PM   #78
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman
Sir you clearly understand exactly how completely overrated Lewis is. Believe me, there are people around here who say he was the GOAT!!!!! It's insane. Like I said, he wasn't even the best HW of his era. Holyfield was CLEARLY greater, and Tyson, too for that matter, although I'll admit that's at least arguable.
P4P Hollyfield may have been greater. As a heavyweight it's hard to see how this statement can be defended - unless you're disregarding head to head alltogether?

Anyone who says Lewis is the GOAT has work to do and it's fair to say they'd be overating him.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 09:36 PM   #79
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Robert i've no wish to fall out with you over this but you're opinion where Lewis is concerned clearly can't be trusted.

It's fair enough for you to dislike him - I understand why - but i'd suggest that your dislike makes it impossible for you to make an unbiased view.

Your dislike for him shines through in this post.
No offense taken my friend.
I just dont think much of Lewis as a fighter & nothing can really change my mind on that.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #80
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
No offense taken my friend.
I just dont think much of Lewis as a fighter & nothing can really change my mind on that.

Fair enough.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 09:47 PM   #81
Doppleganger
Il Genio
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 800

Quote:
Lewis is in no way in any shape or form the G.O.A.T. but he's the best HW of his era, and a better HW than Holyfield or Tyson.
Doppleganger is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #82
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Joe Louis is the most overrated heavyweight of all time..........Period..............
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 10:23 PM   #83
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novirasputin
Any fighter can be torn down or overrated with the right spin.

However, the most overrated fighter of all time and i know this will hurt many people on here was Mike Tyson.

Not in the sense that he was a shitty mediocare fighter cause he wasnt.

Tyson had alot of great accomplishments as a pro (Spinks, Holmes, Berbick, just off the top of my head. All terrific wins) however the problem is since he was so popular people got it into their heads that he was invincible.

So much so that they made him think that and made this media machine out of him and forgot about the sport.

That shit ruined him.

Case in point: As good as Tyson was he could never dance at all.
A guy with that much good foot movement should have rightly been taught to
be a better defensive fighter.

This is why any time he got downed he stayed down.
i totally buy that he was overated to early and it's still in the mindset to day to be a media driven scary man...ripped the boxing abilty out of him he had a good jab for such a small short reached guy. he outjabbed tony tucker and parried lewiss jab with it.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 10:31 PM   #84
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Lewis is in no way in any shape or form the G.O.A.T. but he's the best HW of his era, and a better HW than Holyfield or Tyson.
The supposed "best" of the doesn't get starched by guys like McCall or Rahman, or fight old versions of Holyfield or Tyson, and not fight Bowe at all. But then, there's always excuses for all of that, right? How convenient.

Evander Holyfield doesn't need any excuses, he never got laid out early by second raters, and he beat two of the top guys of the era when it mattered. And Tyson dominated in a way that Lewis could only dream of!
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 10:35 PM   #85
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
i would put him top 5 he was only beaten by lucky shots not saying when your punching somone you are lucky to land but mccall didnt mean to ko him with that shot and rahman had hurt lewis before hand

great inside fighter great outside fighter

i feel people say he had a weak chin becuase he was so damn good that somthing had to give. and becuase he was koed twice ( by maybe the best countershot by McCall and rahman caught him badly when he wasnt defending).

his chin wasnt iron but it was above average he took flush hits from
tua, tyson, vitali, ruddock, briggs, holy...his career is a roll call of hard hitters and great fighters. some still fighting today

to say he was in control of a weak division is rubbish stop trying to undermine his achievements
Old 07-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #86
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

anyways most overated for me would be george foreman he was a tully hard hitting guy but maybe the worse skills i have everseen from any champion only darchinyan is in the same catagory. low defence went in hands low was slow and easily hit...it was his power,size and jaw that got him through and i feel it's almost unfair that he is rated as an amazing fighter (his comeback was very impressive) when most of the top men now have by far better skills abilty power speed chin but get disregarded on when foreman was by far less skiled and able.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #87
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
The supposed "best" of the doesn't get starched by guys like McCall or Rahman, or fight old versions of Holyfield or Tyson, and not fight Bowe at all. But then, there's always excuses for all of that, right? How convenient.

Evander Holyfield doesn't need any excuses, he never got laid out early by second raters, and he beat two of the top guys of the era when it mattered. And Tyson dominated in a way that Lewis could only dream of!
who did dempsey fight cant remember one firpo i rember ....got knocked out the ring in the first round gastly business
Old 07-02-2007, 11:24 PM   #88
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West
who did dempsey fight cant remember one firpo i rember ....got knocked out the ring in the first round gastly business
Dempsey got up and WON that fight. When Lewis hit the canvas, the fight was OVER. That's the difference between a top ten great, and a borderline top 15 fighter
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 PM   #89
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Dempsey got up and WON that fight. When Lewis hit the canvas, the fight was OVER. That's the difference between a top ten great, and a borderline top 15 fighter
Dempsey would have been allowed to continue in the McCall fight, of course.

Perhaps the difference is era?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 11:50 PM   #90
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Dempsey would have been allowed to continue in the McCall fight, of course.

Perhaps the difference is era?
If Lewis had been allowed to continue in the McCall fight he woulda ended up like he did against Rahman. Personaly I wish they had let it go on, then there wouldn't be all these excuses.
Zakman is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum