Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #46
teemy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why was Muhammad Ali so mean to Joe Frazier?

edited

Last edited by teemy; 05-29-2011 at 08:28 AM.
teemy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #47
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemy View Post
i guess in the end he got his
I think this is a horrible thing to think, if your serious. What about all the good he did? He gets a little aggressive with some opponents in a combat sport and he deserves an agonizing disease? Really?
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #48
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[quote=Unforgiven;9778598]No, I already said I don't think it's quite taunting, but it IS gloating over a fallen opponent. (Not just the arm raising, the standing over and looking down at the fallen man)
It's an unnecessary statement of superiority and underlines the subjugation of the opponent. I have no problem with it. I'm just saying.

I have no problem with his celebrating/gloating.
I'm just giving my interpretation on what I see.[/quot

Fair and honest reply
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #49
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Here he was calling Joe an Uncle Tom....yet Ali has some Irish in his background...
RockyJim is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #50
Vsec
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegrade View Post
Hard to believe that Bryant Gumbel was quotes as saying `Is Joe Frazier ` white champ in black skin ` ? Joe Frazier came from a humble,very hard background. And was a tough and proud man. Who tried his best to do right by his family and his boxing fans...
Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh View Post
Not a nice thing to say that, and Boxing Illustrated ran with it as their cover story.

Not that I like Bryant Gumbel, but I will say that Bryant Gumbel admitted to being wrong for doing that.
Vsec is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #51
DDDUUDDDEE
Undisputed Ambien (taker)
East Side Guru

Ali is a big meanie!!
DDDUUDDDEE is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2011, 07:24 AM   #52
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJim View Post
Here he was calling Joe an Uncle Tom....yet Ali has some Irish in his background...
What has being an 'Uncle Tom' got to do with Ali's Irish ancestry
Old 05-30-2011, 07:27 AM   #53
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmaff36 View Post
What has being an 'Uncle Tom' got to do with Ali's Irish ancestry

Every Irish man has at least one uncle Tom.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #54
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

I think it was because. A lot of people simply didnt like Ali because he was ****y and black (i hate to say that) and a draft dodger. So they aligned themselves with Frazier purely because they wanted Ali beat. Ali then indirectly decided to get back at these people by insulting Frazier.

Basically by insulting Frazier, he was indirectly taking shots at those who hated him for more than just boxing purposes.

Similar to the way people jump at any of Mayweathers opponents purely because they want him beat.
Azzer85 is online now  Top
Old 05-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #55
willmc83
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 138

I think Ali was just a bit of a prick at times and you can over rationalize these things.

Some things Ali said were a disgrace, he said that any white blood he had was the product of rape in a 1978 interview. He knew at that stage that he had a white great grandfather who married his great grandmother yet he accussed his own ancestors of rape. His comments about a Frazier were a disgrace too and I don't believe that Ali was quite the sophisticated wit that many people believed he was. He essentially stole his whole demanour from a 1940s professional wrestler known as Gorgeous George.

He was a fantastic fighter but unfortunately he has been given an undeserved reputation as some exceptional noble figure who can't be criticised.
willmc83 is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #56
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Every Irish man has at least one uncle Tom.
Funnily enough, i have
Old 05-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #57
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmc83 View Post
I think Ali was just a bit of a prick at times and you can over rationalize these things.

Some things Ali said were a disgrace, he said that any white blood he had was the product of rape in a 1978 interview. He knew at that stage that he had a white great grandfather who married his great grandmother yet he accussed his own ancestors of rape. His comments about a Frazier were a disgrace too and I don't believe that Ali was quite the sophisticated wit that many people believed he was. He essentially stole his whole demanour from a 1940s professional wrestler known as Gorgeous George.

He was a fantastic fighter but unfortunately he has been given an undeserved reputation as some exceptional noble figure who can't be criticised.
True, its funny how ALi is looked as a complete angel and Tyson is looked at some sort of pyschpathic brute.

The truth is Tyson always had a kind caring heart and deep down...Ali was probably more ruthless
Azzer85 is online now  Top
Old 05-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #58
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmc83 View Post

W, you are so darn right. Ali ,were he white ,and said such racial crass baloney,would be unanimously chastised by everyone in society, but he above any sports celebrity get's a free pass and becomes an undeserved icon...
Well I and millioins of other suckers who paid money to see him fight never
hurt he or his race, would hear him spout his brand of bigotry and cringe.
Give me the joe louis, Ezzard Charles, Floyd Patterson, Archie Moore, Arguello, Joe Frazier type anytime over Ali's brand of meanness disguised as
an icon...And he did change, and he is sick now,and I wish Ali nothing but the best for him now. He is brave for sure, and I too now admire him for his demeanor since his retirement...Cheers...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #59
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I must admit, some of the stuff Ali said was extreme racism, offensive to any decent person, whatever way you slice it. When you're saying blacks and whites shouldn't be allowed to marry, or should be killed for "messing with each other's women" you are stating some serious sickening and backward opinions, even by the standards of earlier times.

To be fair, I suspect the guy just wasn't very clever, and remained young and foolish for too long because he was idolised by so many blacks and whites alike who didn't really look behind the superficial image and canonized him as a symbol of defiance.
He's overrated in that respect.
But he was a heck of a fighter, really.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #60
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegrade View Post
Hard to believe that Bryant Gumbel was quotes as saying `Is Joe Frazier ` white champ in black skin ` ? Joe Frazier came from a humble,very hard background. And was a tough and proud man. Who tried his best to do right by his family and his boxing fans...
Bryant Gumbel wrote a whole article about Frazier being a white champ in black skin. Gumbel's article did nothing but fuel Ali's racist propaganda against Frazier saying he represented black people and Frazier represented the whites. Nothing but a BS, stupid article that only served to hurt Frazier and praise Ali.
round15 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum