Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Very Good Or Great?
Very Good 56 93.33%
Great 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #16
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,255
vCash: 500
Default Re: Very good or great? Volume 5: Diego Corrales

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Many fighters have 1 sided losses and styles that didn't suit them. Corrales has his weaknesses but I don't think he did have 'no defense' I think he sacrificed it to land his better punches as many punchers do. In a way his offense was his defense, very fast hands, short accurate devastating punches. He did plod a bit and didn't have the fastest feet

Corrales was never going to fight tall because he had T-Rex arms

Still I would have liked to have seen him against Morales, Barrera, Marquez, Pacquaio. He may just have beat all of them at 130lbs
He may have, though obviously he wouldn't have beaten any of them at 130lbs.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #17
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "To win without risk is to triumph without glory"
Posts: 1,339
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Very good or great? Volume 5: Diego Corrales

Chico was merely a good fighter, but with that power of his combined with an all-time great heart and will to win, the classic go out on my shield and fight to the bitter end attitude makes him a great in his own right in my eyes.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #18
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: in a boxing gym near you
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Very good or great? Volume 5: Diego Corrales

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Many fighters have 1 sided losses and styles that didn't suit them. Corrales has his weaknesses but I don't think he did have 'no defense' I think he sacrificed it to land his better punches as many punchers do. In a way his offense was his defense, very fast hands, short accurate devastating punches. He did plod a bit and didn't have the fastest feet

Corrales was never going to fight tall because he had T-Rex arms

Still I would have liked to have seen him against Morales, Barrera, Marquez, Pacquaio. He may just have beat all of them at 130lbs
No he had bad defense. T Rex arms? He had a decent reach. He simply had poor defense. If your sacrificing your face to land a shot, you have bad defense. Defense is what prevents that.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #19
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: Very good or great? Volume 5: Diego Corrales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I would say Corrales is on the same level as say, Chacon.
Nah, Chacon is flat out better IMO.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #20
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "To win without risk is to triumph without glory"
Posts: 1,339
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Very good or great? Volume 5: Diego Corrales

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Nah, Chacon is flat out better IMO.
As far as entertainment and providing exciting fights for us viewers goes thuogh, Corrales ranks right up there with Bobby.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #21
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SAN GABRIEL VALLEY
Posts: 12,225
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Very good or great? Volume 5: Diego Corrales

Great Puncher and great action figther,and heart.. But too flawed to be considered great... I say he belongs in the HOF... But i would not label him an all time great and dont think hes that close to be a top 100 fighter.... Maybe top 150.
anarci is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #22
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SAN GABRIEL VALLEY
Posts: 12,225
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Very good or great? Volume 5: Diego Corrales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL View Post
As far as entertainment and providing exciting fights for us viewers goes thuogh, Corrales ranks right up there with Bobby.
No way Bobby was a better fighter.... In a hth matchup the much bigger Corrales would have a shot, but even then i think Chacon whethers the storm, and comes back to ko Corrales in the mid to late rounds, despite Bobby being a natural fw and Corrales being at least a natural LW.
anarci is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #23
P00ckerh00ked
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Very good or great? Volume 5: Diego Corrales

Almost an ATG.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #24
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Very good or great? Volume 5: Diego Corrales

In terms of skills he is flawed, and not great, that much is blatant. His will to win is atg, his power was great. His power could change a fight. I don't know how great he was ultimately, but if you beat Diego Corrales I rate it as a fine win. He mixed it with the era's top men and had positive results. He was above Mayweather in the pound for pound rankings at the time they fought I believe, he was a genuine pound for pounder who was considered a monster by everyone then.
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #25
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,629
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Very good or great? Volume 5: Diego Corrales

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
No he had bad defense. T Rex arms? He had a decent reach. He simply had poor defense. If your sacrificing your face to land a shot, you have bad defense. Defense is what prevents that.
He had short arms for such a tall man though, not saying he had a great defense but he did want to draw the exchanges to create openings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I would say Corrales is on the same level as say, Chacon.
Corrales takes his head off, not very similar really
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #26
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Very good or great? Volume 5: Diego Corrales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL View Post
Chico was merely a good fighter, but with that power of his combined with an all-time great heart and will to win, the classic go out on my shield and fight to the bitter end attitude makes him a great in his own right in my eyes.
This is exactly how I see it. Good post and kudos on consolidating your statement to get it across nicely, I find that hard to do sometimes.
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #27
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 40,048
vCash: 75
Default Re: Very good or great? Volume 5: Diego Corrales

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
He had short arms for such a tall man though, not saying he had a great defense but he did want to draw the exchanges to create openings



Corrales takes his head off, not very similar really
I'm not comparing them stylistically, only in levels. Chacon faced the better opposition overall, but they both had varied levels of success, were both exciting and both had big hearts.

Greg, I disagree, I love Chacon but don't hold him too much higher than Corrales personally. I agree that he has more depth though.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #28
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT
Posts: 14,048
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Very good or great? Volume 5: Diego Corrales

I know this is not the question being posed but I agree with PP that Corrales takes Chacon's head right off at 130.
teeto is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #29
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SAN GABRIEL VALLEY
Posts: 12,225
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Very good or great? Volume 5: Diego Corrales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I'm not comparing them stylistically, only in levels. Chacon faced the better opposition overall, but they both had varied levels of success, were both exciting and both had big hearts.

Greg, I disagree, I love Chacon but don't hold him too much higher than Corrales personally. I agree that he has more depth though.
CHacon did get hit alot at JL...But when he was a Fw he was a much more fluid boxer,quicker better defense. Not the Brawler he was in his days at JL, where as Corrales never had defense and didnt use his boxing skills too much.. Corrales only advantag over Chacon, was his natural size and the edge in power(although Chacon could really punch too)... Even at JL Chacon was the better boxer,Better chin,better combos, hand speed close, and when he wanted the much better defensive fighter..
anarci is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #30
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: "To win without risk is to triumph without glory"
Posts: 1,339
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Very good or great? Volume 5: Diego Corrales

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
No way Bobby was a better fighter.... In a hth matchup the much bigger Corrales would have a shot, but even then i think Chacon whethers the storm, and comes back to ko Corrales in the mid to late rounds, despite Bobby being a natural fw and Corrales being at least a natural LW.
I know he was, I was just pointing out the fact that as far as entertainment value is concerned, that Chico ranks up there with Bobby, as they were both so much fun to watch. As far as ability and skill is concerned, yeah Bobby is a notch above Diego in that respect. But Chico would have fit in nicely with the jr.featherweight quartet of Chacon, Boza, Limon, Navarette and others of the 80s era, would have made for some tremendously exciting fights to say the least win or lose.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013