Old 05-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #31
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Very good or great? Volume 5: Diego Corrales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL View Post
I know he was, I was just pointing out the fact that as far as entertainment value is concerned, that Chico ranks up there with Bobby, as they were both so much fun to watch. As far as ability and skill is concerned, yeah Bobby is a notch above Diego in that respect. But Chico would have fit in nicely with the jr.featherweight quartet of Chacon, Boza, Limon, Navarette and others of the 80s era, would have made for some tremendously exciting fights to say the least win or lose.
Yey i agree he was about on par with his rivals.. I can see Corrales winning someand losing some to those 4 guys.
anarci is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #32
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Devastating in his inital run. Has top wins over Castillo, Casamayor and Freitas. Thats 3 fighters better than anyone that, for example, Dempsey beat.
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #33
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachilles View Post
Devastating in his inital run. Has top wins over Castillo, Casamayor and Freitas. Thats 3 fighters better than anyone that, for example, Dempsey beat.
You'll find out quicly that Castillo and Casamayor aren't shit on here
teeto is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #34
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
I don't think his win over Casamayor was particularly 'top'.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #35
Pachilles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
I don't think his w...

It doesnt matter what you think!!
Pachilles is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #36
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
As far as entertainment and providing exciting fights for us viewers goes thuogh, Corrales ranks right up there with Bobby.
One of the very few, I must add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
No way Bobby was a better fighter.... In a hth matchup the much bigger Corrales would have a shot, but even then i think Chacon whethers the storm, and comes back to ko Corrales in the mid to late rounds, despite Bobby being a natural fw and Corrales being at least a natural LW.
Corrales to me is similar to Little Red Lopez and we seen how Chacon dealt with that threat. And we see how Corrales faired with an angle finder in Mayweather.

I think Chacon's slippery use of angles to set up his offensive arsenal is good enough hear to beat Corrales. Although if Corrales lands it could be, to quote Jim Murray, 'ALL OVER.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I'm not comparing them stylistically, only in levels. Chacon faced the better opposition overall, but they both had varied levels of success, were both exciting and both had big hearts.

Greg, I disagree, I love Chacon but don't hold him too much higher than Corrales personally. I agree that he has more depth though.
Chacon has better wins, more depth and a bit more longevity. I also think on film he appears to be the level above. At Featherweight he was a dazzling, if inconsistent and undedicated, offensive boxing master. At Super-Featherweight he became the crafty war merchant we remeber him as.

Quote:
I know he was, I was just pointing out the fact that as far as entertainment value is concerned, that Chico ranks up there with Bobby, as they were both so much fun to watch. As far as ability and skill is concerned, yeah Bobby is a notch above Diego in that respect. But Chico would have fit in nicely with the jr.featherweight quartet of Chacon, Boza, Limon, Navarette and others of the 80s era, would have made for some tremendously exciting fights to say the least win or lose.
I cant begin to imagine how exciting that would have been. Imagine Limon and Corrales trading hooks and uppercuts?
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 01:16 PM   #37
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post

I cant begin to imagine how exciting that would have been. Imagine Limon and Corrales trading hooks and uppercuts?
Exactly what I was thinking when I mentioned Corrales against any of the fab jr/lightweight four, Corrales vs Limon would have been brutal yet wildly exciting as well. And speaking of a Chacon vs Chico matchup, some folks on this thread think that Bobby gets his head taken off but I digress, Bobby has one weapon in his arsenal that is will be a kryptonite for Corrales and that is his lead right hand.

Mayweather dropped him what 3-4 times all with lead rights if I remember correctly, and with the way Diego leaves himself open while constantly coming forward looking to land the big punch I see him getting bounced off the canvas a few times before getting stopped for good by those same lead rights from Bobby that he will inevitably walk right into I reckon and get flattened.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #38
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Chacon has better wins, more depth and a bit more longevity. I also think on film he appears to be the level above. At Featherweight he was a dazzling, if inconsistent and undedicated, offensive boxing master. At Super-Featherweight he became the crafty war merchant we remeber him as
Thanks for the refresher, for my mind Lopez was better than Corrales, so yes, that slipped my mind and I was thinking too much on the Arguello/Limon/Boza Edwards fights and not of his earlier work. Especially considering those fights with Limon How silly of me.

Quote:
Exactly what I was thinking when I mentioned Corrales against any of the fab jr/lightweight four, Corrales vs Limon would have been brutal yet wildly exciting as well. And speaking of a Chacon vs Chico matchup, some folks on this thread think that Bobby gets his head taken off but I digress, Bobby has one weapon in his arsenal that is will be a kryptonite for Corrales and that is his lead right hand.

Mayweather dropped him what 3-4 times all with lead rights if I remember correctly, and with the way Diego leaves himself open while constantly coming forward looking to land the big punch I see him getting bounced off the canvas a few times before getting stopped for good by those same lead rights from Bobby that he will inevitably walk right into I reckon and get flattened.
This is a good point. Corrales was a much bigger guy than Chacon though, and Chacon couldn't resist a tear up.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #39
wgain
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 644

This is the guy that made me a die hard boxing fan he has allways got a place in my heart pure great to me. people today are to bothered about glass chins and the 0 loses this guy piss's alll over that mentality he'l go down and get up he was a great champ
wgain is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2011, 04:25 AM   #40
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4120

Pity these are the only 2 options because I can't vote for neither
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2011, 04:25 AM   #41
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4120

Maybe if the question was about spitting his mouthpiece then i could have voted
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2011, 09:18 AM   #42
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
Pity these are the only 2 options because I can't vote for neither
And if it were a question about David Tua?
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #43
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:

It doesnt matter what you think!!
Yes it does. I'm an incredibly important person.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #44
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
Yes it does. I'm an incredibly important person.
Well, he's got you there, Pach.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 05-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #45
emanuel_augustus
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd vote for flawed but great to watch. True gladiator who left us some great fights to look back to. I rewatched the Castillo and Freitas fights this weekend.
emanuel_augustus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum