Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-29-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
ben1990
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Got perscribed concerta...

Well I have always had trouble in school and my doctor said that my teachers said I show signifigant signs of ADD/ADHD. I just tried it for the first time today and I really didn't notice much except I feel dizzy and nasuea. Its not that I feel weak, I just feel really off balance and strange.

I was wondering if anyone else takes medicine similar to this and what they think about training on this. I am hoping the dizzyness will go away, but does anyone here know any possible side effects this would have during boxing? I didn't go in today cause I felt really dizzy but was just wondering if this could mess with my body in anyway.(ex. Not having as much endurance, being slower, weaker.) If you know anything about this just let me know what your experience/opinion is.
ben1990 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075
Default Re: Got perscribed concerta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1990
Well I have always had trouble in school and my doctor said that my teachers said I show signifigant signs of ADD/ADHD. I just tried it for the first time today and I really didn't notice much except I feel dizzy and nasuea. Its not that I feel weak, I just feel really off balance and strange.

I was wondering if anyone else takes medicine similar to this and what they think about training on this. I am hoping the dizzyness will go away, but does anyone here know any possible side effects this would have during boxing? I didn't go in today cause I felt really dizzy but was just wondering if this could mess with my body in anyway.(ex. Not having as much endurance, being slower, weaker.) If you know anything about this just let me know what your experience/opinion is.
Not used it myself however i do work in a doctors surgery and i know when trying any drug for the first time you should see how it goes but dont ignore sideeffects. Go back and consult your doctor someone may come one here and tell you its fine but everyone reacts differently. You may just be getting used to it and this side effect may where off , you should be able to have a pretty much normal life with this drug. But im no doctor i just work in a surgery so go back and speak to him thats what hes there for.
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

I could help you I think, I took certain kinds of pills for ADD as well. Some of the stuff I took made me dizzy like you said and would also make my heart beat heavily out of chest, it was a wierd feeling let me tell you.

I couple things I found out to bad were like you said dizzyness, increased heart rate, a found myself also getting real hot and sweating alot even though I wasnt fat and pretty in shape at the time. It did however help me to concentrate better in school, and kept me out of fights which I got into alot at that time. Another side affect is loss of appetite, so if your trying to put on muscle it could become a problem.

In my opinion the shit isnt worth it, unless your a really hyper guy and your grades are really suffering becasue of it. I would tell your mom or dad to have the doctor lower the dossage, that should help, because the amount your given is determined by how much you weigh. I hope I helped you a little bit, if you need to know anything else just let me know.

Last edited by Punisher33; 11-29-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher33
I could help you I think, I took certain kinds of pills for ADD as well. Some of the stuff I took made me dizzy like you said and would also make my heart beat heavily out of chest, it was a wierd feeling let me tell you.

I couple things I found out to bad were like you said dizzyness, increased heart rate, a find myself also getting real hot and sweating alot even though I wasnt fat and pretty in shape at the time. It did however help me to concentrate in school, and kept me out of fights which I got into alot at that time. Another side affect is loss of appetite, so if your trying to put on muscle it could become a problem.

In my opinion the shit isnt worth it, unless your a really hyper guy and your grades are really suffering becasue of it. I would tell your mom or dad to have the doctor lower the dossage, that should help, because the amount your given is determined by how much you weigh. I hope I helped you a little bit, if you need to know anything else just let me know.
Good advice from someone whos bin through it , but id still go back to the doctor and explain the whole situation there is always nearly another option youve just gota tell the doctor what you want first otherwise hell think your just happy with the current situation.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007
Good advice from someone whos bin through it , but id still go back to the doctor and explain the whole situation there is always nearly another option youve just gota tell the doctor what you want first otherwise hell think your just happy with the current situation.
Your right, he should go back to the doctor. I think what they will end up doing is lowering his dossage, to see if that may be the problem. I think after that if the problem persists, I think they will put him on a different medication.

Last edited by T.S.; 10-13-2006 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:36 PM   #6
ben1990
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Yeah, what he basically said was to try it for a week or so and if it still feels really wierd taking it that he will get a different dosage, or different medicine.

Did you feel that it effected your performance negatively though in the gym? I am not trying to put on muscle because I fight around 150 and don't really plan on getting much taller. My main goal is just to box really.
ben1990 is offline  Top
Old 11-29-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Yeah, what he basically said was to try it for a week or so and if it still feels really wierd taking it that he will get a different dosage, or different medicine.

Did you feel that it effected your performance negatively though in the gym? I am not trying to put on muscle because I fight around 150 and don't really plan on getting much taller. My main goal is just to box really.
Is 150 the weight you want to stay at? I could honestly say theres a positive to taking the pills I took for ADD and there is a negative, the positive was it let me concentrate better on what my trainer wanted me to do during sparring and bag work, the negative being I didnt feel like working out alot and when I ran I got dizzy or my heart would beat faster than normal. I did not like training while on medication as a whole, I felt sluggish and weaker, though that could of just been a mental thing.

I would tell your mom or dad everything your experiencing, because what your saying was similiar to what I went through, and trust me its not a normal for your body to react to things like that. If you dont mind me asking how bad is your ADD? I mean how hard is it for you to concentrate in school?
Old 12-01-2007, 02:42 AM   #8
ben1990
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

My add isnt very bad, or at least I don't think it is. I had some trouble in the past in school and still do now. But I didn't take it today and felt much better. Did you return to normal after not taking it for a while?
ben1990 is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2007, 07:36 AM   #9
Dekkers
Team Bergeron
ESB Senior Member

If you can manage to function properly without it, don't take it. Try to find other means of managing your ADD without resorting to medication, a lot of this stuff along with anti-depressants is extremely overprescribed these days. You're still young (and that can be a factor with some medications) and you never know what the long side effects of some of these medications are.

I know two people who took roaccutane for acne when they were younger, ****ed them mentally (mood swings and anxiety, without any cause). Had a cousin back in Argentina who was given sedatives when he was younger, he's ****ed in the head. Like I said before, you never know with this shit, if you can find away to function without it, avoid taking it, last resort only.
Dekkers is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #10
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
My add isnt very bad, or at least I don't think it is. I had some trouble in the past in school and still do now. But I didn't take it today and felt much better. Did you return to normal after not taking it for a while?
Yeah, it was just bad when I took the medication. If your not that bad in school dont take it, it is over perscribed enough as it is. Im 22 and out grew a couple years ago, which most kids do, especially the ones with the less serious cases.

If I were you I would try harder in school and prove to your parents you dont need it, trust me from someone who knows, the side effects out weigh the good it does for you IMO.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:03 PM   #11
ben1990
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Yea, I think that maybe I just need to get more sleep. That way I can try to focus better in school. I have only taken once so no damage done I guess. I'll try to go without it, I feel much better without it anyways.
ben1990 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #12
T.S.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Where the Hell am I and how did I get here?
T.S. is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 04:33 PM   #13
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekkers
If you can manage to function properly without it, don't take it. Try to find other means of managing your ADD without resorting to medication, a lot of this stuff along with anti-depressants is extremely overprescribed these days. You're still young (and that can be a factor with some medications) and you never know what the long side effects of some of these medications are.

I know two people who took roaccutane for acne when they were younger, ****ed them mentally (mood swings and anxiety, without any cause). Had a cousin back in Argentina who was given sedatives when he was younger, he's ****ed in the head. Like I said before, you never know with this shit, if you can find away to function without it, avoid taking it, last resort only.

Dont be put off by scare stories and dont stop taking them without at least phoning your doctor. This guys post may be spot on but your situation is completley different. I agree taking less drugs is better but trust your doctor over some people on a forum ( no offence boys). GO BACK AND SEE YOUR DOCTOR LOL
Old 12-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #14
JMonster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

to be honest w/ u...i think that whole ADD/ADHD is bull shit and the medicine will actually **** u up in the long run worse than u r right now..everybody goes through changes in life where it will be hard to concentrate n listen to ppl n all that...get off that medicine and just discipline urself and understand maybe ur mind/body r going through some changes or ur life is and that things might be harder for a while since ur mind is else where but as long as u don't do nething bad it will be ok
JMonster is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #15
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonster
to be honest w/ u...i think that whole ADD/ADHD is bull shit and the medicine will actually **** u up in the long run worse than u r right now..everybody goes through changes in life where it will be hard to concentrate n listen to ppl n all that...get off that medicine and just discipline urself and understand maybe ur mind/body r going through some changes or ur life is and that things might be harder for a while since ur mind is else where but as long as u don't do nething bad it will be ok
Wow weve got a doctor in the house good you can give out more advice

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing