Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-01-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
Proud Warrior
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Mayweathers last fights

Someone called kingpin on the Hatton forum posted this and i was quite shocked by the age of some of Mayweathers last opponants,Hatton has been accused of fighting over the hill performers but Floyd would have to face a 28 year old in his prime.Anyway i thought it was quite a good post so here it is.

Is Floyd "untouchable" ?

I'm ****ysing his 6 or 7 most recent fights here as he's climbed through the weight divisions successfully and primarily am using his recent "form" as investigative material in which to "weigh-up" Ricky Hatton's chances in the proposed "Superfight" we all hope is imminent.

If anyone could add any details they feel could be relevant to my ****ysis it would be welcomed and I would really appreciate if fine-details/statistics of these fights were "dug-up" by you lot.

Oscar De La Hoya -- Aged 34. -- Jnr Middleweight-150lbs.-- SD12--2007

Stats - Punches thrown - ODLH - 587 - Landed - 122 - % 21
............................... - Floyd - 482 - Landed - 207 - % 43.

Carlos Baldomir.... -- Aged 35. -- Welterweight - 147lbs....-- UD12--2006

Stats - Punches Thrown - CB - 670 - Landed - 79 - % 12
.................................- PBF- 458 - Landed - 199 - % 43

Zab Judah...........-- Aged 29. -- Welterweight - 147lbs.....-- UD12--2006
Sharmba Mitchell..-- Aged 35. -- Welterweight - 147lbs.....-- TKO6--2005
Arturo Gatti.........-- Aged 33. -- Jnr Welterweight - 140lbs.-- TKO6--2005

Stats -- Punches thrown - Gatti - 245 - Landed - 41 - % 17
..................................- Floyd - 295 - Landed - 168 - % 57

Henry Bruseles.....-- Aged ??. -- Jnr Welterweight - 140lbs.--TKO8--2005
DeMarcus Corley..-- Aged 30 . -- Jnr Welterweight - 140lbs.--UD12--2004

I don't want to come off as too much of a critic here because clearly what Mayweather has achieved is outstanding.

However,I would like this thread to explore any legitimate weaknesses we see in Mayweather or the opponents he has faced.

This post should signal the beginning of a detailed dissection of Floyd Mayweather's recent form and should highlight any weaknesses we think Ricky can exploit or any question marks hanging over PBF's performances.

First off I would appreciate if anyone could either provide a link to,or actual details of ring-size,glove-size etc in any of the above mentioned fights.

I'm now off to watch as many of these fights as possible and will be providing a critical ****ysis of Floyd when I return with my findings.

Here is a rough "initial" critical breakdown.

Floyd HAS "fought" a few older guys recently.

Oscar,Baldomir and Mitchell could arguably be considered "over the hill" or at the very least be labelled "a bit long in the tooth".These guys were 34,35 and 35 respectively. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I don't think the likes of Mitchell,Bruseles,Gatti or Corley would trouble The Hitman so unless anyone would like to add any support that these fights should be considered any further,I'm writing them off as "meaningless".

That leaves us with Zab,Baldomir and De La Hoya.

Of these I would consider the Baldomir fight as "irrelevant" with regards to any comparison with The Hitman simply because this 35 yr old guy "suited" Mayweather's style perfectly.
Here was a 35 yr old renowned not for his "power punches",but for his "heavy hands" that hurt his opponents in attacks of "sustained" pressure.
I argue that Baldomir had little-to-no chance of any "sustained" attack on a slickster like Floyd and was therefore either a "good" fight for Floyd to take OR a fight which PBF "shrewdly" chose.
Again,any further input would be beneficial.

This leaves us with the Judah and Oscar fights and I plan to post up seperately my opinions on these two.

Thanks for reading and any views would be appreciated.
Proud Warrior is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
markbrooklyn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Mayweathers last fights

Ummm Oscar is a Hall of Famer and at the age he is now is still WAY better then anyone that Hatton has faced including Kostya Tzsyu. Zab Judah is also better then anyone other then Tszyu that Hatton has faced and so is Sharmba Mitchell.. So i dont know where you are going with this? And wasnt Hatton talking about wanting to fight Gatti??? WHen floyd fought Gatti alot of people gave Gatti a really good shot at beating Floyd.. Then what happened? Floyd went out and completely DOMINATED him.. Just like he'll do to Hatton!
markbrooklyn is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 12:01 AM   #3
4eyes
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

All this talk about floyd reminds me of the talk that use to go on about Roy Jones "unbeatable" "natural talent" "greatest fighter ever" then came Tarver....
4eyes is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 12:04 AM   #4
thewoo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyes
All this talk about floyd reminds me of the talk that use to go on about Roy Jones "unbeatable" "natural talent" "greatest fighter ever" then came Tarver....
And shane mosely before him and someone else before him. Boxing fans will never learn that no one is unbeatable
thewoo is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 12:07 AM   #5
C Money
Paul McCloskey
ESB Addict

It's not who he fought, ITS WHO HE HASNT FOUGHT

Hatton, SSM, Cotto, and the Margarito vs Williams winner are the top four fights which can all be made at 47 and would go a LONG WAY towards legitimizing PBF's claims.

PBF has four quality names on his record, Corrales, Castillo, Judah, and DLH. There's at least 4 more NAMES of equal or higher quality still remaining. Actions leave legacies and PBF has set the stage, but can he CLOSE THE SHOW????

Retirement sure as hell aint it
C Money is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 12:14 AM   #6
PBF P4P #1
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyes
Tarver came along after a 25 pound muscle weight loss and fought a guy who was falling out of his prime because of the drastic jumping around, if RJJ would have stayed at HW and found Holyfield, Tyson, Toney, and others with similar bodies there is no telling if he could have stretched that prime a bit more...if you say no to that dont forget how Ruiz/Holyfield worked out and how RJJ whipped Ruiz much worse than Toney....his subsequent fights at LHW would back that up as well....Floyd however is still in his prime and can go from 140-154 comfortably because his natural weight is such and he has no problem losing weight, he has more trouble keeping it on.

nice try though
PBF P4P #1 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 12:15 AM   #7
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Money
PBF has four quality names on his record, Corrales, Castillo, Judah, and DLH. There's at least 4 more NAMES of equal or higher quality still remaining. Actions leave legacies and PBF has set the stage, but can he CLOSE THE SHOW????

He has to fight at least 2 to 3 of those guys to be recognized as a top 20 all time fighter.
acb is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 01:23 AM   #8
codeman99998
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewoo
And shane mosely before him and someone else before him. Boxing fans will never learn that no one is unbeatable
As a person who predicts a Floyd victory, I just want it to be known that Floyd is definitely beatable. Everyone is beatable. It's just, until the Tarver fight there was no way I would have bet that Jones lost to anyone.

Very smart boxing ****ysts didn't predict that Buster Douglas would destroy Mike Tyson.

Just because I refuse to guess that Floyd loses, doesn't mean I think it is impossible for him to lose. Hell, if he DOES lose, Hatton is one of the three guys that could beat him, so if Hatton does win, while it would be a big surprise to me, it wouldn't be the biggest shock in the world. Hatton is a grade A world class fighter.

But, I mean, if you had to bet money on it, I can't see any other way than going with Floyd for this one.

Last edited by justafan; 02-10-2006 at 09:28 PM.
codeman99998 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum