Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #46
Thom
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,804
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gegard Mousasi in the UFC...

At 205 in the UFC, he'd get wrestle****ed by a lot guys. For that reason, he'd be barely top 10 if that IMO. After Strikeforce is dissolved, dude needs to go back MW or find a camp with good wrestlers for him to train with if he wants to make it in the UFC.
Thom is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2011, 12:05 PM   #47
Anarchy99
Babalu will KILL You!
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 441
Default Re: Gegard Mousasi in the UFC...

Gegard is an absolute brilliant striker and I've spent the majority of my morning watching every fight of him I could dig up. Brilliant at any weight he fights at BUT his wrestling knowledge is atrocious. AKA would do him wonders.
Anarchy99 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #48
Beekeeper
Bedtime Story, Aoki Style
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: France
Posts: 2,210
vCash: 277
Default Re: Gegard Mousasi in the UFC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
You re clutching at straws now, I'll just agree to disagree
Clutching at straws or giving you facts?
Beekeeper is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #49
Beekeeper
Bedtime Story, Aoki Style
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: France
Posts: 2,210
vCash: 277
Default Re: Gegard Mousasi in the UFC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
At 205 in the UFC, he'd get wrestle****ed by a lot guys. For that reason, he'd be barely top 10 if that IMO. After Strikeforce is dissolved, dude needs to go back MW or find a camp with good wrestlers for him to train with if he wants to make it in the UFC.

Rashad could not handle Machida's striking despite his wrestling pedigree, you really cannot dismiss great strikers like this, even though there are a few examples to the contrary I know.

I think Moussasi has what it takes to compete with the top 5 in the UFC
Beekeeper is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #50
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Default Re: Gegard Mousasi in the UFC...

Strikers have to earn the right to impose their striker on a wrestler by having decent takedown defense. Machida providing he stays active and doesn't allow himself to be backed up against the cage has some of the best takedown defense in the division. Which after is not surprising because along with karate he comes from a sumo background.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #51
Beekeeper
Bedtime Story, Aoki Style
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: France
Posts: 2,210
vCash: 277
Default Re: Gegard Mousasi in the UFC...

This is true, but his KO potential cannot be discounted. He also needs to improve working off his back because he will be in this situation a lot if he starts fighting the elite.
Beekeeper is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #52
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gegard Mousasi in the UFC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
Clutching at straws or giving you facts?
No young man, clutching at straws that the wins he mentioned, though decent, is an indication that Gregard can hang tough in the UFC

Do I have to keep correcting you? It's very boring
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #53
Beekeeper
Bedtime Story, Aoki Style
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: France
Posts: 2,210
vCash: 277
Default Re: Gegard Mousasi in the UFC...

So you are saying that Balabu and Lombard are not UFC caliber fighters? Why not?
Beekeeper is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #54
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,934
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gegard Mousasi in the UFC...

Babalu is/was and I acknowledged it as a good win in this thread. Jury is still out on Hector imo

And I just looked back and the orignal reference was to Cyborg, Kang and Melvin
Stoo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:31 PM   #55
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Gegard Mousasi in the UFC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tko4 View Post
I've always maintained that Gegard is too small for LHW. This guy should be fighting at MW, particularly in the UFC, where the top 205 Americans are HUGE. Gegard is supremely talented but poor off his back. I see a slew of 205 fighters outwrestling him (and Jones flat our murdering him). At 185 though, I think Gegard's easily top 3 and would be a fun and worthwhile fight for Anderson Silva.
Gegard isn't small. I met him at last years SENI and he was slightly taller than me and im 6ft 1. His frame is that of a Light Heavys too. Although like you say i think he should stay at 85 simply because h has no problem making the weight.
Gegard has good stand up but his TDD is atrocious. Definitely gives Silva a few problems on his feet.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:13 PM   #56
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 75
Default Re: Gegard Mousasi in the UFC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
Gegard isn't small. I met him at last years SENI and he was slightly taller than me and im 6ft 1. His frame is that of a Light Heavys too. Although like you say i think he should stay at 85 simply because h has no problem making the weight.
Gegard has good stand up but his TDD is atrocious. Definitely gives Silva a few problems on his feet.

you say he has no problem making 185 thats not what I read, he moved up because he said it was too difficult to continue making the middleweight limit.

by the way should I make a list of fighters who dont have good wrestling who are champions. it is a fault but one that can be overcome.
yaca you is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #57
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,589
vCash: 500
Default Re: Gegard Mousasi in the UFC...

I think you'd struggle to make one of current champions. The only one in the two main US promotions is really Silva who's had his three trickiest matches in the UFC against menwho have been able to take him down.

Other than that you have Jose Aldo who's shown pretty good takedown defense and five wrestlers in the UFC. In Strikeforce Melendez, Souza, Henderson all have good to great wrestling. Overeem and Diaz have yet to defend against a wrestler so we can't say either way.

The same is true even in Bellator where four out of the seven champions are Division I westlers while Alvarez and M'Pumbu have good wrestling (well judo in M'Pumbu's case) as well.

Its quite possible that Anderson Silva will be the last long-term champion in MMA history to suck at wrestling. Just the way the sport is evolving.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #58
PrinceVega
帝拳ボクシングジム
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 307
vCash: 500
Default Re: Gegard Mousasi in the UFC...

gonna get wrestle-****.
PrinceVega is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #59
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 75
Default Re: Gegard Mousasi in the UFC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cooling View Post
I think you'd struggle to make one of current champions. The only one in the two main US promotions is really Silva who's had his three trickiest matches in the UFC against menwho have been able to take him down.

Other than that you have Jose Aldo who's shown pretty good takedown defense and five wrestlers in the UFC. In Strikeforce Melendez, Souza, Henderson all have good to great wrestling. Overeem and Diaz have yet to defend against a wrestler so we can't say either way.

The same is true even in Bellator where four out of the seven champions are Division I westlers while Alvarez and M'Pumbu have good wrestling (well judo in M'Pumbu's case) as well.

Its quite possible that Anderson Silva will be the last long-term champion in MMA history to suck at wrestling. Just the way the sport is evolving.
I basically agree I think wrestling is important, but Mousasi will probably never have great wrestling but he still can improve upon that.

remember he didnt take any damage from the bottom against Jardine, and didnt take all that much damage(less than he dished out) from King mo. He is not vornable in that way he just needs to remember MMA rules favour wrestlers so TDD is important not to allow his opponents to build up points scoring takedowns.

Room for improvement yes, he is still pretty young and could benefit from training more with wresters (I know he was training with gsp for a time, but he needs to place more effort into this)

by the way Will good post.
yaca you is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:01 PM   #60
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 75
Default Re: Gegard Mousasi in the UFC...

it also annoys me that upkicks are still illegal to a downed opponent. Upkicks are a big part of mousasi's strength.
yaca you is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013