Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-31-2011, 11:13 PM   #16
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What if Gene Tunney had not retired in 1928?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyListonsJab View Post
Why does everyone think a 32-33 year old Tunney would get by hall of fame heavyweights George Godfrey, Jack Sharkey, and Max Schmeling so easily? He doesn't even get to Carnera and Baer if he doesn't beat those men. I don't think with tunney's lack of infighting, low hands, lack of headmovement, and age would allow him to beat all three younger hungry men. Tunneys legs would give out on him at some point, then hes toast.
...man, you really are low rating Tunney..this is ridiculous.
red cobra is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2011, 11:20 PM   #17
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
More than once, from the beginning of my membership here in April 2007, I've expressed the belief that, defending once per year, if Gene goes on as long as he can, that Louis would have been the once to eventually dethrone him. If Joe got to Tunney before Schmeling got to the Bomber in June 1936, that Gene would have easily deciphered the same susceptibility to the counter right, and successfully exploited that vulnerability in an initial defense against Joe, perhaps near the end of 1935, after Louis dispatched Max Baer. Tommy Farr was able to jab with Joe, so I believe the combination of Gene's faster jab, mobility, toughness, and fast right over the top, would have been too much for a less experienced and undefeated Louis (who thought he "was hot shit" going into Schmeling I).

Joe would earn a second title shot, and this time win the decision to finally end Gene's reign. Before that happens, I think it's entirely possible that Tunney achieves the record as oldest heavyweight champion which Foreman eventually breaks. Jack Britton was able to attain an obscenely long career with many of the same crafty tactics and artistry which Gene applied. (Don't forget that he also had the sage counsel of associates like stablemate Benny Leonard.)

Tunney came in at a career high 192 for Heeney. A year of lumberjack work had put his former hand problems behind him, and he was getting stronger at the end. He had the discipline and focus while competing not to let himself go and dissipate. And he doesn't likely let his weight go above 200 pounds, no matter how old he gets.
it's almost a cliche to speak of Tunney's focus and discipline, but really...that was all true, and combined with speed, skill and a great chin, well...it's good to see the long pissed upon Tunney finally getting some deserved recognition..
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 06-01-2011, 10:07 AM   #18
SonnyListonsJab
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Tunney would have, in my opinion, beaten all the champs that came between him and Louis..and as for Louis...
Ahh so Gene Tunney in his mid-late 30s defeats prime hall of fame heavyweights like Max Schmeling, Jack Sharkey, Max Baer, George Godfrey all in a row?

My god do you overrate Gene Tunney. Who did Gene Tunney ever beat at heavyweight that makes you think he could go on a run like this? Who did Gene Tunney ever beat that was a big and dangerous that makes you think he could take out Baer and Godfrey so easily? What young 6'1 200lb technicians did Tunney ever beat that had even close to the skills Schmeling and Sharkey had? The truth is Tunney was one of the most carefully protected fighters of all time, and drew the color line. Sorry but two victories over a well past his prime Jack Dempsey(one being controversial) ain't gonna cut it.
SonnyListonsJab is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum