Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #31
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingFanNo1 View Post
Would he still have the same output, especially in the late rounds, without those miles? Doubt it.
You couldn't possibly know.

Quote:
Who are we to question the training regime of the current P4P no1 and highest ranked current ATG?
High level boxers do stupid shit all the time. We're not allowed to question what they do because of their boxing status?

Ricky hatton does a bodybuilding weight routine including leg press, leg extensions and leg curls for high reps. Stupid and pointless to a boxer. Am I not allowed to say it's stupid just because he's a good boxer? I've seen many pro boxers training in a sweat suit to "burn more fat". That's just idiotic. But I'm not allowed to say that though am I because they're pro boxers and I may upset one of you guys...

This is why boxing is evolving so slow, everyone wants to stay in the past, how the pros trained which is some cases is dangerous (training in a sweat suit for example) and not anywhere near as productive as it could be, wasting time running 10 miles every day is a prime example.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #32
smithj1234jj

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
Good post. I thought the 100miles a week idea kind of died out in recent years, but there was definitely a time when volume was the way to go.

Anyway, my best 800 was 2:27 so I don't like you very much.
haha yes it has go down but its sitll important just done abit more cleverly now than back in the day when 20 miles a day and such wasnt un heard of and going out smashing 10 miles a day every day at a fast pace was what was just done!

but anyway this thread about manny im not convicned doing 10 miles a day would actually help his boxing skill and im not conivnced he actually do 10 miles a day while i dont fink it would help him much i dont see it as being unconceivable and would actaully of thought he could do it although would be abit pointless if u ask me?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:42 AM   #33
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2650

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÉL86 View Post
We're posting in the boxing training forum, I think if anyone has the right to discuss this topic it's the individuals in this thread.

Alot of top athletes excel in spite of non-perfect training habits.

For example there was an interview with Ray Leonard posted in a thread here not long ago that went like this:

Interviewer: ''What did you usually eat after going for a long run?''

SRL: ''I usually didn't eat much, just a cold glass of water did me''

I'm pretty sure SRL would have been better off getting some food in after his roadwork. It's in the 'Famous Boxers Training Regimes' thread, can't find it right now.
So you're fine with someone calling the training regime of the best boxing has to offer right now "retarded"? If that's the type of discussion you wish to participate in fill your boots mate.

Maybe the regime will be altered with age catching up on Pac but what can't be denied is the results to this point. I'd bet 99% of people who question it don't have the knowledge base to back their argument, virus fills that criteria.

SRL didn't have a sports nutritionist with the knowledge of Azira in his corner. I'm pretty sure things would have been different. Even back then people would have questioned it but we're all different, what works for you may not work for me. Results are irrefutable though and obviously SRL's programme worked for him, anything else is just speculation.
BoxingFanNo1 is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #34
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Quote:
So you're fine with someone calling the training regime of the best boxing has to offer right now "retarded"? If that's the type of discussion you wish to participate in fill your boots mate.

Maybe the regime will be altered with age catching up on Pac but what can't be denied is the results to this point. I'd bet 99% of people who question it don't have the knowledge base to back their argument, virus fills that criteria.

SRL didn't have a sports nutritionist with the knowledge of Azira in his corner. I'm pretty sure things would have been different. Even back then people would have questioned it but we're all different, what works for you may not work for me. Results are irrefutable though and obviously SRL's programme worked for him, anything else is just speculation.
Say "regime" one more time....
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #35
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
You couldn't possibly know.
What I do know is that whatever Pac does MUST have the thumbs up from Roach and Azira, the two most knowledgable people with regards to Pacs physiology. What I also know is the results are evident for all to see.

Quote:
High level boxers do stupid shit all the time. We're not allowed to question what they do because of their boxing status?
Again, what works for Pac may not work for others, it obviously works for him.

Quote:
Ricky hatton does a bodybuilding weight routine including leg press, leg extensions and leg curls for high reps. Stupid and pointless to a boxer. Am I not allowed to say it's stupid just because he's a good boxer? I've seen many pro boxers training in a sweat suit to "burn more fat". That's just idiotic. But I'm not allowed to say that though am I because they're pro boxers and I may upset one of you guys...
Hatton's regime reflects the results, did he beat Pac and Mayweather? And considering Hattons lifestyle outside the ring it's hardly a great comparrison.

Quote:
This is why boxing is evolving so slow, everyone wants to stay in the past, how the pros trained which is some cases is dangerous (training in a sweat suit for example) and not anywhere near as productive as it could be, wasting time running 10 miles every day is a prime example.
Boxing may be evolving slow but every generation has one or two guys that can hang with the best and those guys usually do things a little differently than the rest. I know people who criticise Mayweathers pad routine but it obviously works doesn't it?

I believe the 10 mile thing is inflated, but even if it's true it's got the guy where he is. Whether he'd be better or worse off is just speculation, what I do know is that to lable it "retarded" is in itself retarded considering the knowledge base and results.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #36
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
Say "regime" one more time....
I did say "programme" too.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #37
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

That's fine, mate, if you want to believe the bullshit info pro boxers dish out, go ahead. I prefer to question things and look at it from my own experience and knowing what others are capable of.

It's been stated in this thread that high level track athletes run 10 miles a day. Maybe you can explain why 10 miles every day for a pro boxer is so beneficial. I know he's the top P4P boxer and all that, I mean why you think it's so beneficial that I'm not allowed to have an opposing opinion on his training.

Also, like somebody else said, some of these guys are at their level in spite of their training, not because of it.

I'm asking for your opinion on his training, not "but he's the best so you can't question his training" like you keep saying.

Something works for everyone, but it may not be optimal.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #38
smithj1234jj

vCash:

Quote:
That's fine, mate, if you want to believe the bullshit info pro boxers dish out, go ahead. I prefer to question things and look at it from my own experience and knowing what others are capable of.

It's been stated in this thread that high level track athletes run 10 miles a day. Maybe you can explain why 10 miles every day for a pro boxer is so beneficial. I know he's the top P4P boxer and all that, I mean why you think it's so beneficial that I'm not allowed to have an opposing opinion on his training.

Also, like somebody else said, some of these guys are at their level in spite of their training, not because of it.

I'm asking for your opinion on his training, not "but he's the best so you can't question his training" like you keep saying.

agreed.

10 miles a day for a boxer is stupid as boxing isnt a predomitally aerobic sport however training is both mental and physical so if thats what manny needs to do to get mentally right then thats fine however a 4-5 mile tempo threshold run would be much much more specific to the way a boxing fight is and would actaully increase his punch output rather than a 10 mile slow run at probably outside 8 minute pace. id be surprised if manny did 10 miles a day.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #39
smithj1234jj

vCash:

long intervals and tempo runs are what help boxing not slogging a 10 mile run at a shit jog pace. hows that gonna help?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:13 AM   #40
smithj1234jj

vCash:

just because manny does it doesnt mean its the best training and eveyrone should do it. manny doing it has nothing to do with what is the best and optimal for a boxer.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #41
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithj1234jj View Post
most of the top collegiate level runners that do 800m and are 800m/1500m type runners will do 70-100 miles a week overall, my good friend boaz lalang who i shared a house with for 4 months is on about 80 miles a week and hes ran a 1:42 and 3:50 odd for a mile, nick symmonds is on 80-100 miles a week, i know that most of your run of the mill 1:45 guys are on 60-80 odd, when i was running i was on about 60 miles a week at my highest mileage then about 40 in the summer racing season even at 15/16 year old. What you fail to relise even if your running twice a day MOST (not all but most) of your high end and even collegiate runners will be doing two runs a day (some do choose to do all there mileage in one run but its not that common but is heard of) is that you run twice a day with maybe a 3-4 miles run in the morning then on your non workout days a 6-7 mile run all at a good pace. When i was training for 800m/mile i used to do

Monday - am 3 miles at an easy pace in about 20-21 minutes pm - 7 miles at 6:30-7 minute pace
tuesday - 3 miles easy pm Workout depending on time of the year maybe something like 6x1000m in under 3 minutes then in the summer maybe 8x300m in 41-42
wednesday 3 miles 20-21 minutes pm 7 miles 6:30 pace
thursday 3 miles easy pm workout again depending on time of year in the summer season this would always be speed like 10x200m in 27-29 average
friday am easy 3 miles in about 22 minutes pm easy 7 miles in 7:30 pace
saturday am hard workout usually fast 600 meters with alot of reps maybe something like 4x600m mile pace/200 jog/200m 800m pace (so taht would be a 600m in 92, 200m jog, 200m in 28, 400m jog repeat 4 times.)
sunday would always be a long run depening on what the milage was for hte week the run would never be shorter than 8 miles but never longer than 12.

in the winter its alot more mileage with maybe 1 or 2 workouts a week doing alot of strides to keep the race pace there then come april may you start brining more race speed and speed stuff into it.

iv got a link to my training if you would like it when i used to run in the NCAA to when i was 14 year old its on a spreadsheet and can easily be uploaded. my race times were good but not world class i ended up getting badly injured half way through my scholarship in the ncaa and was asked to leave this is why i ended up taking up boxing, but i ran some great times at a young age and have some great memorys of racing and winning national titles running for my country and of course traveling all over britain and america, expirences i will never forget and i learn ALOT from running and make some great great friends and for someone to come from where i came from to getting an education and all this expirence purely being abit faster than your average person was great. so of course i have a good indication of what a top class 800m runner training looks like.i personally ended my career with a 1:50 odd 800!

heres a link to one of my videos to show im not bullshitting. when i ran 1:56 aged 15.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Great post.

Just curious though, what was your fitness like in boxing terms when you made the transition from being an 800m runner to a boxer? Being that you obviously did a lot of exercise/running and that 800m training can hit a pretty high heart rate, id imagine that it would have been a pretty good base. The only thing lacking I believe was actual muscle endurance, specially in the arms.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #42
BoxingFanNo1
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
But here in lies the problem. You question things from your experience and what others are capable of, Manny doesn't fit that mould, he's very different.

Quote:
Manny has probably ran 10 miles a day since he first got interested in the sport. It's developed his mental toughness and stamina, it's a part of who he is. I'd say telling someone who's done that for years to cut back to 4-6 miles a day could have negative consequences. I've already stated 10 miles a day would have a negative impact is the vast majority of boxers, but it appears Pacquiao is one of the few that actually benefits from it. I can't give you a clear answer as to why he benefits from it without knowing Manny's psychological and physological make up.

Quote:
I disagree. Lifestyle and training is what a boxer is, genetics/natural tallent can only do so much. Take Michael Jordan as an example. People call him naturally gifted. What they forget is that from a young age when training was over he stayed behind for hours when everyone else went home and perfected his game, he done it differently from the norm and it worked for him.

Quote:

My opinion is 10 miles does seem excessive and probably an exaggeration. But if he's been doing it all his life then his body and mind have adapted to it therefore imo it's more beneficial for him to continue doing it rather than change until his body tells him otherwise. If the leg cramps from the Mosley fight are to be believed that could be now.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #43
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Nigel Benn used to run 15 miles a day in high altitude, mostly uphill w/ wrist/ankle weights.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #44
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
Nigel Benn used to run 15 miles a day in high altitude, mostly uphill.
yeh he worked up to a point where he ran that distance and then tapered down it wasnt like he ran 15 miles a day for a long duration of time during his camp
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Old 06-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #45
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
Nigel Benn used to run 15 miles a day in high altitude, mostly uphill.
No he didn't.

Though he did shadowbox with 20lb dumbells. Watching his fight against Watson, he LOOKED like he had weights in his hands. Some of the punches he landed were sickening.

Now is it a good idea to shadowbox with 20lb dumbells? No. Nigel Benn got some mileage out of it, but he was probably extremely strong before he ever did that sort of training, so it didn't really hurt him. May have helped.

But yeah, Benn ran a LOT, but 15 miles a day is just ridiculous. You can tell by looking at the guy that he didn't train that way. He stated something like 8-12 miles, depending on the stage in camp. And I don't think he was doing that every day.
KillSomething is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing