Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #46
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,888
vCash: 75
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
No he didn't.

Though he did shadowbox with 20lb dumbells. Watching his fight against Watson, he LOOKED like he had weights in his hands. Some of the punches he landed were sickening.

Now is it a good idea to shadowbox with 20lb dumbells? No. Nigel Benn got some mileage out of it, but he was probably extremely strong before he ever did that sort of training, so it didn't really hurt him. May have helped.

But yeah, Benn ran a LOT, but 15 miles a day is just ridiculous. You can tell by looking at the guy that he didn't train that way. He stated something like 8-12 miles, depending on the stage in camp. And I don't think he was doing that every day.
no he did run 15 miles at the peak of his training , my memory tells me it was 14 but , 14/15 pretty much the same
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #47
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 1000
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

Straight from the horses mouth - Benn ran 6 miles a day in week 1, 7 in week 2, 8 in week 3, 9 in week 4, 10 in week 5, then 15 in week 6, 10 in week 7 and 8 in week 8. Up Mount Teide.

So he did run 15 miles every day at one point, with ankle and wrist weights too.
atberry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #48
smithj1234jj
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousity View Post
Great post.

Just curious though, what was your fitness like in boxing terms when you made the transition from being an 800m runner to a boxer? Being that you obviously did a lot of exercise/running and that 800m training can hit a pretty high heart rate, id imagine that it would have been a pretty good base. The only thing lacking I believe was actual muscle endurance, specially in the arms.
hi pal my fitness as a hole was great but i found it hard and have actually without even doing weights purely boxing training got ALOT more defined in abs and arms and got alot bigger via doing it, i actaully put on a hole 9kg through purely boxing training nad i wasnt fat or anyhting when before i used to be a skinny wee laddie haha however to begin with it was hard and the two sports arent comparable as one is litreally all legs and the other is all arms but i didnt find it too bad to be honest, the hard part wasnt really the fitness it was more the skill but that came iv been boxing 2 years now and have managed to get to a pretty good level!
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #49
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,665
vCash: 202
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
Straight from the horses mouth - Benn ran 6 miles a day in week 1, 7 in week 2, 8 in week 3, 9 in week 4, 10 in week 5, then 15 in week 6, 10 in week 7 and 8 in week 8. Up Mount Teide.

So he did run 15 miles every day at one point, with ankle and wrist weights too.
Running 15 miles 7 times in a training camp doesn't count as "every day," even if it's 7 consecutive days.

I can go without eating for 7 days, but that shouldn't be construed as "KillSomething doesn't eat."
KillSomething is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #50
BladeJrs
N/A
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 202
vCash: 1000
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÉL86 View Post
For example there was an interview with Ray Leonard posted in a thread here not long ago that went like this:

Interviewer: ''What did you usually eat after going for a long run?''

SRL: ''I usually didn't eat much, just a cold glass of water did me''

I'm pretty sure SRL would have been better off getting some food in after his roadwork..
Not really. The whole meal-timing and 'anabolic window' stuff has been dis-proven through research as not being special or extra beneficial in any way. Obviously SRL is a perfect example of this if that's what he's claiming. Much like the way guys like virus and others wish people would "catch up" with modern times and realize some of the stuff of the past that people still do is unnecessary (like what we're talking about with all the road work), a lot of dieticians, nutritionists and people who study this recreationally are waiting for people to understand the same when it comes to eating and getting over myths of the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingFanNo1 View Post
I disagree. Lifestyle and training is what a boxer is, genetics/natural tallent can only do so much. Take Michael Jordan as an example. People call him naturally gifted. What they forget is that from a young age when training was over he stayed behind for hours when everyone else went home and perfected his game, he done it differently from the norm and it worked for him.
Yea but to counter that, in the same sense you could say lifetsyle/training can only do so much. Another guy without natural talent and good genetics could train side by side as much as Jordan but that doesn't mean he'd be as good as him.
BladeJrs is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #51
ÉL86
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

[quote=BladeJrs;9809638]Not really. The whole meal-timing and 'anabolic window' stuff has been dis-proven through research as not being special or extra beneficial in any way. Obviously SRL is a perfect example of this if that's what he's claiming. Much like the way guys like virus and others wish people would "catch up" with modern times and realize some of the stuff of the past that people still do is unnecessary (like what we're talking about with all the road work), a lot of dieticians, nutritionists and people who study this recreationally are waiting for people to understand the same when it comes to eating and getting over myths of the past.


You're going to have to provide me with a source for this. I'm hugely skeptical.
ÉL86 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #52
BladeJrs
N/A
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 202
vCash: 1000
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

I don't blame you, people are usually skeptical when things go against what they believe (i.e. those who think 10mi a day for boxing is NECESSARY just because of routines of the past). In the grand scheme of things, meeting your caloric and macro needs by the end of the day is far more important than meal timing, as also shown by SRL being a world class athlete yet claiming he didn't need to eat after his roadwork. I will supply you with some sources soon (don't really feel like pulling up a bunch of research just for someone else while I'm trying to relax and watch t.v., no offense lol). There's some quite interesting reads out there if you're into the science of the stuff.

edit: I should clarify that I'm not saying it's better or worse to eat/not eat right after working out, just that the myth of some sort of 30-minute anabolic window has been disproven. If anything it should be an anabolic-barn door because of the huge length of time anyone has to take in nutrients, refill glycogen, etc after exercise.
BladeJrs is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #53
TheDuke
Let me marry Boxed Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Your girlfriend's handbag
Posts: 0
vCash: 75
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

**** this is hilarious reading critiques from people whose knowledge on training seems to reflect the Body for Life principles.
TheDuke is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:30 AM   #54
ÉL86
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeJrs View Post
I don't blame you, people are usually skeptical when things go against what they believe (i.e. those who think 10mi a day for boxing is NECESSARY just because of routines of the past). In the grand scheme of things, meeting your caloric and macro needs by the end of the day is far more important than meal timing, as also shown by SRL being a world class athlete yet claiming he didn't need to eat after his roadwork. I will supply you with some sources soon (don't really feel like pulling up a bunch of research just for someone else while I'm trying to relax and watch t.v., no offense lol). There's some quite interesting reads out there if you're into the science of the stuff.

edit: I should clarify that I'm not saying it's better or worse to eat/not eat right after working out, just that the myth of some sort of 30-minute anabolic window has been disproven. If anything it should be an anabolic-barn door because of the huge length of time anyone has to take in nutrients, refill glycogen, etc after exercise.
I've never read about this before.

''What I believe'' is what I've come across several times when researching the topic (and my own personal experience of listening to my body to an extent)

So does this mean that articles for example this one:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

have been disproven?

''Studies have shown that consuming high GI carbohydrates, approximately 2g/kg of body weight, and 40g of protein within two hours after exercise speeds up the replenishment of glycogen stores and recovery time. It appears that the muscles are more receptive to and retaining carbohydrate during the two hours after exercise. [J Appl Physiol. 2002 Oct;93(4):1337-44. Early postexercise muscle glycogen recovery is enhanced with a carbohydrate-protein supplement]''

And there are hundreds more claiming this. Whereas i've not come across anything claiming the 'window of opportunity' is a myth. That's why I'm skeptical.
ÉL86 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:08 AM   #55
Leonius
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

No one I know who runs that kind of distance runs the same miles everyday and I believe it will be no different with Pac.

I could see him running ten miles on a "long run" day maybe but there is no way he is running the same distance everyday for weeks and weeks, not even distance runners run the same milage everyday, just look at any running program that involves running for 5 days or more, they always alternate the distances and pace.

Come to think of it no athlete keeps the exact routine everyday for any period of time, if they did they would never get any better.

IMO what would matter most about whether that is a good distance for a pro boxer would be how fast he is running the 10 miles.


A 12 round boxing match including recovery between rounds lasts just under 50 minutes

Running 10 miles in less than 60 minutes is doable for most people. The record is something like 45 minutes.

So if he is running the 10 miles at a really fast pace it will take him about the same period of time as it takes to fight a twelve rounder, and I can certainly see the benefit in that, not only will he be able to go twelve rounds but he will be able to do it with intensity.

Taking the same thinking to the amateurs you would want to run a 5k and try to get up to doing it in under 15 minutes.

Last edited by Leonius; 06-03-2011 at 02:20 AM.
Leonius is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:38 AM   #56
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 1000
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
Straight from the horses mouth - Benn ran 6 miles a day in week 1, 7 in week 2, 8 in week 3, 9 in week 4, 10 in week 5, then 15 in week 6, 10 in week 7 and 8 in week 8. Up Mount Teide.

So he did run 15 miles every day at one point, with ankle and wrist weights too.
Also, in altitude, 15 miles is the equivalent of around 25 miles at sea level. PLUS it was uphill, PLUS he wore resistance weights on his ankles and wrists, PLUS he threw punches the whole run.
atberry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:33 AM   #57
bez
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 246
vCash: 1000
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

Man gotta respect Benn's work ethic!
bez is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:39 AM   #58
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 1000
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

He was also the most intense exciting trainer in the gym by all accounts and wanted to be out of there asap, no hanging about.
atberry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:06 AM   #59
bez
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 246
vCash: 1000
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

What u mean?..he wasnt real sociable or anything? just did his work and left?
bez is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #60
smithj1234jj
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: PacMan : 7000calories /day,2000 sit ups, 10 miles a morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonius View Post
No one I know who runs that kind of distance runs the same miles everyday and I believe it will be no different with Pac.

I could see him running ten miles on a "long run" day maybe but there is no way he is running the same distance everyday for weeks and weeks, not even distance runners run the same milage everyday, just look at any running program that involves running for 5 days or more, they always alternate the distances and pace.

Come to think of it no athlete keeps the exact routine everyday for any period of time, if they did they would never get any better.

IMO what would matter most about whether that is a good distance for a pro boxer would be how fast he is running the 10 miles.


A 12 round boxing match including recovery between rounds lasts just under 50 minutes

Running 10 miles in less than 60 minutes is doable for most people. The record is something like 45 minutes.

So if he is running the 10 miles at a really fast pace it will take him about the same period of time as it takes to fight a twelve rounder, and I can certainly see the benefit in that, not only will he be able to go twelve rounds but he will be able to do it with intensity.

Taking the same thinking to the amateurs you would want to run a 5k and try to get up to doing it in under 15 minutes.
not dissing you but you have no respect for how fast under 15 minutes is, if there is actually one person on this forum who has done that i would be surprised its not even close to world class but your average person who goes to the gym to lift weights 3 times a week would probably struggle to break 20 if you train for boxing and have a little talent then 17 minutes would be very good if you train for running and have a little talent under 16 is good, under 15 is very good running belive me. as for 10 miles in under 60 mintues have you ever actaully ran before!?

in 2011 to date only 98 people have ran under 15 minutes for the 5km in the UK...10 miles in 6 minutes is easier and i would expect a boxer to be able to do that on a one off but not everyday.

in 2010 only 151 people broke 5km in the UK, these people are going out and busting there balls 7 days a week trianing purely for running if a boxer was under 15 minutes for a 5km training purely for boxing then he is in the wrong sport.

Last edited by smithj1234jj; 06-03-2011 at 06:21 PM.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013