Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,406
vCash: 75
Default Collegiality in Boxing.

Anyone noticed that boxers seem to get along and help each other out, whereas teammates in other sports seem to have a more competitive mindset?

For example...in high school I played soccer and basketball. Not a season went by without guys fighting each other, quitting the team, and just generally being angry at each other all the time. Lots of shit talking about who's better than who, etc.

In boxing, it's like everyone's in it together, which is weird, because it's an individual sport where we punch our teammates/training partners in the face and try to hurt them. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a great boxer, but I don't have other boxers coming up to me telling me I suck.

I think it's down to players fighting for the spotlight with each other. In boxing you are automatically given the spotlight. It's more of a responsibility and a challenge than a reward. You're stuck in there by yourself with everyone's eyes on you, now let's see what you do with it.


Random observation over. Now the point: Can this be a bad thing?

Going back the the soccer and basketball example, the competition within my teams made me a better player. Eventually I got to the point where I was good enough to be getting awards in tournaments and such, captain, mvp, etc. But I worked my ass off obsessively to do it. And I strongly doubt I would have without all the pressure to...beat my teammates.

This didn't occur to me until a few days ago when my cousin wanted to do a round with me (actually he wanted to take a free shot at my face, but I talked him into letting me defend myself and hit him in the body). Later on in the day we're fighting about something or other and he comes out with "Yeah, well you're not ever gonna be that good at boxing because...you're just not good at it."

Now, I take that with a grain of salt but it got me thinking. I used to hear shit like that about other sports and it PISSED ME OFF. That's what got me working. I hadn't ever heard that in boxing. All I hear in boxing is positive reinforcement.

Are we too nice to each other in the gym?
KillSomething is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Celtic Warrior
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 216
vCash: 1050
Default Re: Collegiality in Boxing.

I agree that boxers are usually very respectful and that's one of the best things about the sport, however I disagree with your second point.

After a tough fight/spar you know better than anybody how you performed. If I have performed badly, I feel like shit. This feeling makes me strive to be better, because I hate the feeling of failure. That is where my motivation comes from.

Some high school smack talk about who is better has no place in a boxing gym. Everyone takes a beating sometime, if you talk shit it will come quicker.
Celtic Warrior is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
MrSmall
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 34
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Collegiality in Boxing.

if its a one on one sport this is USUALLY the case.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 7,779
vCash: 719
Default Re: Collegiality in Boxing.

2 reasons for this:

1) Boxing/combat sport is a primal sport, all other sports are just a metaphor. They invented ball's to throw around so we dont have to hurt each other in order prove who is the best, whereas back in the tribal days we just fought. Just like an argument can lead to a fight. A sport can lead to an argument and then into a fight. A fight can lead to a...oh, you already fought.

2) In team sports, you can blame your team mates for not performing well, they did this, that whatever, they can blame you and you can say, no I did this that etc. In boxing, you and the other guy know exactly where you stand, no words need to be said, you either got beat up or you didn't. In team sports you need to prove yourself to your team, you can do this by either putting them down to raise you up, or raising yourself up to put em down...in 1v1 you only need to prove something to yourself.

I think its a good thing, as for pushing yourself...I dont know about you but getting beat up by someone I should beat motivates me far more than someone saying I'm shit.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,406
vCash: 75
Default Re: Collegiality in Boxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousity View Post
2 reasons for this:

1) Boxing/combat sport is a primal sport, all other sports are just a metaphor. They invented ball's to throw around so we dont have to hurt each other in order prove who is the best, whereas back in the tribal days we just fought. Just like an argument can lead to a fight. A sport can lead to an argument and then into a fight. A fight can lead to a...oh, you already fought.

2) In team sports, you can blame your team mates for not performing well, they did this, that whatever, they can blame you and you can say, no I did this that etc. In boxing, you and the other guy know exactly where you stand, no words need to be said, you either got beat up or you didn't. In team sports you need to prove yourself to your team, you can do this by either putting them down to raise you up, or raising yourself up to put em down...in 1v1 you only need to prove something to yourself.

I think its a good thing, as for pushing yourself...I dont know about you but getting beat up by someone I should beat motivates me far more than someone saying I'm shit.
Good points.

Is it normal to beat yourself up over getting beaten up like two of you have mentioned? I usually figure if I take a beating it's because the other guy is better than me, I'll just have to get better. Not something that makes me angry or anything. Maybe I have to work on motivating myself better.
KillSomething is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #6
dangerousity
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 7,779
vCash: 719
Default Re: Collegiality in Boxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
Good points.

Is it normal to beat yourself up over getting beaten up like two of you have mentioned? I usually figure if I take a beating it's because the other guy is better than me, I'll just have to get better. Not something that makes me angry or anything. Maybe I have to work on motivating myself better.
Depends who I get beat by. If its someone far more experienced than me, then I measure my success based on how well I did against him in a losing effort. If its someone who has only trained a year and for example I trained 3 years, then I would be annoyed with myself, I'll think either I'm not as naturally talented therefore may quit or simply work harder, or I'll think I havent trained as hard as he did therefore need to work much harder. Its not even about winning or losing for me, its about how well I did relative to my opponent. Winning and barely getting by a novice would surely discourage me I guess.

I guess you will know where you are coming short, whether its your lack of proper training, your lack of talent and its up to you how you deal with it.
dangerousity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: GA
Posts: 29,714
vCash: 3571
Default Re: Collegiality in Boxing.

I think boxers gain more respect with people the spar with or box. I've felt this with my competition and sparring partners in the past
bballchump11 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
Steenalized
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,673
vCash: 203
Default Re: Collegiality in Boxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Warrior View Post
I agree that boxers are usually very respectful and that's one of the best things about the sport, however I disagree with your second point.

After a tough fight/spar you know better than anybody how you performed. If I have performed badly, I feel like shit. This feeling makes me strive to be better, because I hate the feeling of failure. That is where my motivation comes from.

Some high school smack talk about who is better has no place in a boxing gym. Everyone takes a beating sometime, if you talk shit it will come quicker.
this exactly. I love the friendly nature of my boxing gym, there is no competition and macho attitude problems, everyone treats everyone with respect. I sparred a few days ago and honestly got whooped pretty good by a guy much smaller than me (though far more experienced). Afterwards it wasn't him trash talking me about how I could barely land on him, he was friendly and congratulatory on the improvements I had made. I'll take this over the attitude and shit I dealt with back when I played football, it drove me away from team sports.
Steenalized is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013