boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-25-2014, 12:57 AM   #1
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 0
Default Lifting! Boxing! Hiking! Other Stuff! Help me!

There's a lot of you on here with experience in designing workouts and I want to do this right so here's all the info you need. Got access to affordable gyms now and have the time to focus on boxing.

I've been out of lifting for 7 years and out of serious boxing for 4 years. I've kept up with light shadowboxing and have my weight pretty much under control. I can go as low as 150 (March 2014) and am 168 now. I want to fight at 165 (I'm awkwardly skinny at 152) and will need to add some muscle to make myself solid at that weight. My cardio is godawful. Stats:

Height: 6'0
Weight: 168lb/150lb lean (GOAL: 165lb lean)
Experience: 1 fight (GOAL: 11 by AUG)
RHR: 75-80bpm (GOAL: <50)
Lifts: No idea. (GOAL: 185 bench/225 Squat/275 Deadlift)

Attributes:
Used to have good aerobic fitness (RHR low 40's/3 miles in 18:30/quick recovery between rounds). Used to be strong/hard-hitting for my weight/height (Bench at 165 was 195, no idea on squats and deadlift...my heels go off the ground if I bend my knees 45 degrees...advice on how to fix that short of surgery would be welcome). I have slow reflexes and average speed. Very good chin. Skills are good (been on and off for 7 years, can hang with open class fighters in sparring and can beat up a lot of 5-9 fight novices when I'm out of shape).

Style:
I move forward and cut off the ring while jabbing and looking for the right hand. If they close the distance I try to counter with a body shot, find an angle for a combo, and push them to the ropes so I can hammer them. I'm really uncomfortable moving backward on the outside because of my slow reflexes. I'm more comfortable at mid-range or on the inside where I can physically control what the opponent does and feel his punches coming. My strengths are my jab, bodyshots, strategy/tactics/traps, and ability to control the pace. My biggest weakness is my fitness. I feel like if I could throw 100 punches per round it would be very difficult for most guys to beat me.

2wk Schedule
M: AM 10-15rd Shadowbox/3xMax pushups/PM Armstrong
T: AM 10-15rd Shadowbox/3xMax pushups/PM Armstrong
W: AM 10-15rd Shadowbox/3xMax pushups/PM Armstrong
R: AM 10-15rd Shadowbox/3xMax pushups/PM Armstrong
F: AM 10-15rd Shadowbox/3xMax pushups/PM Armstrong
S: AM 10-15rd Shadowbox
S: AM 10-15rd Shadowbox/PM Hike

12wk Schedule
M: AM 20rd Shadowbox/PM Boxing
T: AM 20rd Shadowbox/PM 5x5
W: AM 20rd Shadowbox/PM Boxing
R: AM 20rd Shadowbox/PM 5x5
F: AM 20rd Shadowbox/PM Boxing
S: AM 20rd Shadowbox/PM 5x5
S: AM 20rd Shadowbox/PM Hike

Progression:
Replace 5x5 with Boxing. Add hillsprints as a finisher to the shadowboxing.

DIET
I've cleaned up my lifestyle and am capable of sticking to a diet plan now. Basic plan is to just eat clean and limit processed food. No drinking except on special occasions. White Sugar/Flour/etc. are out. I'll figure out what my body needs and go from there. Might take a fish oil and multi.

Prep:
2 weeks of shadowboxing and the Armstrong Pullup Program to get a little bit of a base. Might throw in some hillsprints. Had good results with the Armstrong program before. Went from 12 to 21 pullups in 4 weeks when I was 18. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Boxing:
3x/wk, increase to 6x/wk after completing lifting program.

Wrap hands/Rock out
3rd Skipping
Stretch
3rd Shadowboxing
Bags/Drills/Mitts/Sparring as directed
4rd Burpees/Shadowboxing OR Hammer/Tire
30min Skipping cooldown
Stretch

Lifting:
Used to do full-body strength training 2x/wk (5 sets of 2/2min rest for compound exercises and 3 sets of 8/1min rest for supplementals). I didn't use a calorie surplus, so my weight stayed steady and it was pretty much just training my CNS. I think this helped me hit hard and outmuscle stronger guys on the inside.

My plan is to do a 12 week 5x5 program 3x/wk to bring my lifts and bodyweight back to where they used to be since I've lost a lot of strength and muscle. Starting all the lifts at minimums (45 for squat and Overhead Press/80 for Bench and Row/100 for Deadlift) so that I can ease into it and not interfere with my boxing training in the early stages. (It will take about 8 weeks for the weight to increase to a point where it will be difficult and require recovery.) Program: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Hiking:
Total-body strength/Mental toughness/Aerobic fitness/Fun. 6-20 miles. 15-20min/mile. 80-120lb pack. Hike once per week. Increase 1 mile /week. I love hiking and think it's an underrated form of training. Used to do it a lot.

Roadwork:
Big change...I'm not doing it. Going to work my way up to 20rd shadowboxing each morning. I visualize and go pretty hard...it wears me out fast. Will allow me to mimic the pace of a fight and whatnot, so the cardio benefits will be there and I'll make technical improvements simultaneously.

Is this a realistic program for a person who is totally sedentary and has been for a few years? Does it make sense? Let me know. The priority is the boxing training but I really do need to supplement it and get my body to the point where it can handle harder training.

tl;dr:
Hey, I want 2 box but am 27. Am I too old to become world champion? How much should I lift? I heard lifting is bad but I want to make some size gains bro particularly my arms. Pls help.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
freddieMaize
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Lifting! Boxing! Hiking! Other Stuff! Help me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
Hey, I want 2 box but am 27. Am I too old to become world champion?
You won't become one.. script this on your nearby stone and put on my name as I said it so..

If you become one I would let you hit me with that stone.. Free hit.. I assure.. Good luck mate..
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2014, 05:59 AM   #3
BEATDOWNZ
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Hiking is awesome.
BEATDOWNZ is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Is anyone else confused?
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
Is anyone else confused?
Basic question is 'is it too much work for someone just coming off the couch?'

I added all the other info 1. So nobody says they need more info and 2. because I'm not sure if where I used to be matters at all or if I should basically start back at square 1. My coach told me that in one month of hard training I could be ready to fight again but something tells me that's too optimistic.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddieMaize View Post
You won't become one.. script this on your nearby stone and put on my name as I said it so..

If you become one I would let you hit me with that stone.. Free hit.. I assure.. Good luck mate..
Dammit!

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing