Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 06-04-2011, 04:57 AM   #16
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Why do people hate on Chael Sonnen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Jab View Post
It wasn't the roids that impacted that fight, it was Silva's ribs.
Not both?
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #17
Flash Jab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
Not both?
Of course not.

But then again, I'm a cynic when it comes to roids and it's enhancement. People believe it turns you into Superman. He was always gonna take Anderson down with the state he was in.
Flash Jab is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #18
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

I'm indifferent to fighters, for the most part. I rarely get all worked up over who wins or loses.

While I don't hate Sonnen, I can't say I like him all that much. Sonnen is a hypocrite. He talks all this shit about Armstrong needing to own up to the fact that he gave himself cancer because he cheated. Sonnen needs to own up to the fact that he lost his license to fight because he cheated.

Sonnen lost his real estate license for unethical practices. Sonnen lost his fight license for unethical practices. Sonnen even looked content to act as though he didn't tap, and keep fighting against Silva. Do you see the trend?

Add to all this the, Mir like, douchey look on his face.

Sonnen is an unethical, douchey looking, hypocrite.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #19
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Sonnen is a good fighter and I thought he would give Silva hell but he puts himself on a pedestal. I loved his open and brutal talk but then it seemed like he was just saying shit for the hell of it. Just to get a rise out of people and wind everyone up.

Don't put yourself on a pedestal if you can't back it up. Cheating and lying doesn't help.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #20
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimba View Post
Because his style is pretty much kryptonite to many peoples MMA heros. Im talking about guys who practices BJJ, Judo, Kung Fu, Muay Thai, Kick Boxing, Boxing, Karate, Sambo and whatever other fancy esoteric shit there is.

Wrestling can be boring but Cain, GSP, Edgar/Maynard, Bones these guys are top of the chain...and Silva was lucky to escape Chael. Soon if one of these wrestlers like Edgar decides to go down to 145, he'd demolish that division as well. Its the most dominant style there is by far.
<<<<<<<<<< like this guy?
rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2011, 11:36 AM   #21
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
As strong , dominant wrestlers if these guys get in trouble they revert to what they know and what they do best , i dont know how you would expect the wrestling prototype to wain , if anything it will get stronger , what you will have is stand up fighters learning to wrestle as part of there all round MMA skill set " because they have too " , on the flip side , you will now have wrestlers wanting to improve and learn the stand up game at an earlier stage than usual , and as we have seen , the athletic ability of a wrestler gives him that platform to adapt to the different disciplines easier than the other individual bases .

There's a big difference there , and the difference is , wrestlers who have stand up are more dangerous than strikers who have wrestling

That IMHO is not about to change any time in the next 5 years
I was a bit pissed when i wrote that post so let me explain better. As wrestling is probably without arguement the most dominant style in MMA atm people will focus more and more on their wrestling, which will negate the advantage that people with a strong wrestling background have. Not saying that suddenly they wont be effective its just that the playing field will be more balanced. And i am talking over years not over months.But i believe as everyone gets more rounded as fighters (which is what we are seeing now) we will see more guys who are decent everywhere but exceptional elsewhere ie. JDS.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #22
bachatu
Pro
ESB Addict

^^ Its only natural as the game or any sport evolves, athletes will always try to catch-up and improve in areas where they are most vulnerable.
bachatu is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #23
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post
I was a bit pissed when i wrote that post so let me explain better. As wrestling is probably without arguement the most dominant style in MMA atm people will focus more and more on their wrestling, which will negate the advantage that people with a strong wrestling background have. Not saying that suddenly they wont be effective its just that the playing field will be more balanced. And i am talking over years not over months.But i believe as everyone gets more rounded as fighters (which is what we are seeing now) we will see more guys who are decent everywhere but exceptional elsewhere ie. JDS.
Are you still pissed ??

Because your last thread made more sense , so what are you saying , non wrestlers will wrestle more , which in turn will even out the playing field and the more dominant wrestlers will become less dominant because of this ??

I cannot agree , i simply dont agree , to be a dominant wrestler , isnt just being technically sound , it isnt just knowing how to shoot for a single or double leg , its competing in ama wrestling that makes a wrestler so dominant , its that years of top end ama wrestling competition that gives a wrestler his freakish core body strength , cardio and unwillingness to lose in a fight , obviously there are instances where the wrestler will lose infact many instances , but for me the stand out college wrestlers who have competed in the sport at the top end for many years before heading into MMA have and will always the best base for MMA .

And , they will always be in a league of there own in terms of technical application and strength
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 06-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #24
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Are you still pissed ??

Because your last thread made more sense , so what are you saying , non wrestlers will wrestle more , which in turn will even out the playing field and the more dominant wrestlers will become less dominant because of this ??

I cannot agree , i simply dont agree , to be a dominant wrestler , isnt just being technically sound , it isnt just knowing how to shoot for a single or double leg , its competing in ama wrestling that makes a wrestler so dominant , its that years of top end ama wrestling competition that gives a wrestler his freakish core body strength , cardio and unwillingness to lose in a fight , obviously there are instances where the wrestler will lose infact many instances , but for me the stand out college wrestlers who have competed in the sport at the top end for many years before heading into MMA have and will always the best base for MMA .

And , they will always be in a league of there own in terms of technical application and strength
Im not saying they will be equalled but more that people will work out how to combat the dominance of wrestlers with other skills. The greater the wrestling focus the more time and energy will be put into methods of combatting it. I cant give you a specific answer as to how this change will happen i just dont think it is set in stone that wrestlers are the best.

Obviously you believe wrestlers are the best so i doubt anything i say will change your mind and i never intended to. MMA is a young sport relatively so it is only natural that we will see large swings in the dominance of particular dimensions which will slowly flatten out over time as the sport matures.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #25
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koa View Post
You got one thing very right. Wrestling is kryptonite to many people's MMA heroes, but only under the current UFC rules and scoring.

He is very effective, but we don't know how good he is. One day he's talking shit about Lance Armstrong and PED's, that hormone treatment and PED's are what gave Armstrong Cancer.. Then we find out he's taking, "Testosterone treatment" because he has a vagina and doesn't have any pubes. Then we find out the person administering the test was good ol doctor dirt, always a wad of dip in his mouth and local physician Matt Lindland.

Come on man. The guy is a piece of trash. He seems to be pretty darn good in the ring, but he's also shown that his kryptonite style is still very susceptible to an armbar.
Hey Im not defending Chael, to me hes pretty much retarded. I dont take anything he says seriously. I mean look at the look in his eyes, hes not all there. Im just really saying that yes wrestling is very dominant because of MMA rules and also by the way they train. Rogan is right when he says that you go to any wrestling gym and youd get tired just by watching them. Also sme of these guys like Jones, Cain has been rolling since their tween years or even younger.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #26
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post
4 rounds in top position and did basically no damage to an injured Silva and still got subbed. Jones could hardly be described as your standard wrestler type and GSP and Cain havent been overusing the wrestling in recent fights.

I understand what your saying about the dominance of wrestling but i think its a trend as is the way of these things in relatively new sports. At first Jiu Jitsu was increidbly important then poeple got wary so practised it more, subs are alot more rare these days, or at least seem to be even at lower levels. I expect the success of wrestler types to wain increasingly over the next few years.
His wrestling was so potent (as a threat) that he had Silva very distracted and he was winning parts of the stand up. For a guy who has 0 stand-up, he was the only one who has put Silva on his ass twice. This is because his wrestling is so strong (roids or no roids) that he kept Anderson pretty honest. Same with Hendo when he fought Silva, problem with Hendo is he got clipped early in the second round and that change the fight.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #27
TheBradyHawkes
۞
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2362

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Sonnen even looked content to act as though he didn't tap, and keep fighting against Silva. Do you see the trend?
The best part of that was him telling the referee "I believe you"

As if he didn't know.
TheBradyHawkes is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #28
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty nails View Post
<<<<<<<<<< like this guy?
They'll win some, as good a wrestler Sonnen is (world class level) he has never improved his sub defense (probably doesnt care ala Coleman).

These new guys like Edgar and Maynard, they are more well rounded fighters.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #29
RUSKULL
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 2811

Quote:
Originally Posted by BewareofDawg View Post
The guy is a great fighter. He beat the hell out of Anderson for almost 5 rounds. And he is the only guy to actually come out and FIGHT Anderson, even hurting him and outstriking him on the feet. Not even the blood & guts warrior Forrest Griffin took the fight to Anderson, Vitor sat back and tried to counter (Vitor tried to counter!), but Chael took it to him and backed up or at least tried to back up all the shit he talked!

So what if he talks shit! He's hilarious in doing so. He has some of the funniest quotes I've ever heard from a fighter

I don't know, I just see alot of serious hate for the guy and I don't get it. I think he's a great fighter and great for the sport.
I agree 100%

War Chael !!!
RUSKULL is offline  Top
Old 06-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #30
RUSKULL
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 2811

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceVega View Post
His clown.No one even talk about him before Spider fight. And still he can make it.
Bullshit. He was brought in to lose to Paulo Filho & he beat that fat pig's ass twice. He also beatdown Nate Marquart, all before the 4 rounds of beating he gave to Anderson.
RUSKULL is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum