Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
Marc
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,513
vCash: 75
Default What is the proper way to throw a hook?

Hey guys, I'm trying to improve my left hook and I'm really curious on how to throw it properly. I've been experimenting with different wrist positions, namely:

1. closed fist with the palm facing your face.

2. closed fist with the palm facing downwards.

3. closed fist with the palm facing the target.


I think position #1 is the best as far as power goes but I can't wheel my shot freely. Punching inclose and at a distance is uncomfortable using that position, because the angle of the wrist is somewhat limiting my arm's movement.

I was most comfortable with #2 and I think it's best for throwing really quick hooks because of how freely I can move around with it. The downside is that you can't really feel the snap in the punches.

#3 was a surprise. I can't recall any fighter throwing a hook that way but I was quite amazed at how comfortable and powerful it was punching a very near target using that method. You'd be nuts to throw it from long range, however.


I know most of you will say the best option is to position the wrist at an angle (around 45 degrees, palm facing the stomach) but I'm curious, what of the options above is the most ideal?

I'm doing backyard training so I don't have the luxury of asking a boxing trainer what to do, so anybody good enough to share some tips?
Marc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
Marc
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,513
vCash: 75
Default Re: What is the proper way to throw a hook?

Marc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #3
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 8,609
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What is the proper way to throw a hook?

If you watch alot of boxers, most of them throw hooks differently. I for one would tell you to have a trainer or second party watch you and advise you on how to throw a hook with power without ****ing up your wrist.

I cant really tell you how to throw a proper hook, If I was with you I would show you. When throwing hook alot of people like to flex there muscle before impact, try to refrain from doing that, because that takes away from the power your trying to generate. Remember dont punch at the target, punch threw the target, if you put that in your head you will instantly hit with more power.

Good luck buddy, sorry I couldnt provide you with more tips.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
Marc
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,513
vCash: 75
Default Re: What is the proper way to throw a hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher33
If you watch alot of boxers, most of them throw hooks differently. I for one would tell you to have a trainer or second party watch you and advise you on how to throw a hook with power without ****ing up your wrist.

I cant really tell you how to throw a proper hook, If I was with you I would show you. When throwing hook alot of people like to flex there muscle before impact, try to refrain from doing that, because that takes away from the power your trying to generate. Remember dont punch at the target, punch threw the target, if you put that in your head you will instantly hit with more power.

Good luck buddy, sorry I couldnt provide you with more tips.
Yeah, different boxers throw different hooks. Some of them try to wing it down (something between an overhand and a hook) and others swing their arms across.

I think I've got the pivots and basics of throwing the hook down pat, I was just really curious on wrist positioning because not too many people tend to pay attention to it.
Marc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,599
vCash: 1075
Default Re: What is the proper way to throw a hook?

Have you used the search feature cos i know this has been posted a few times might be why no ones answering , also join a gym then youll know mate
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:40 PM   #6
Marc
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,513
vCash: 75
Default Re: What is the proper way to throw a hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007
Have you used the search feature cos i know this has been posted a few times might be why no ones answering , also join a gym then youll know mate
I've already tried searching and the closest thing to my question was a topic about which knuckles to land on a punch. Wasn't relevant because my question is specifically about the hook and wrist positioning.
Marc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:46 PM   #7
Marvelous Marcum
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 158
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What is the proper way to throw a hook?

My coach taught me to throw it with the palm facing the ground, and the lead foot turning with the hips.
Marvelous Marcum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 9,659
vCash: 238
Default Re: What is the proper way to throw a hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetankemin
Hey guys, I'm trying to improve my left hook and I'm really curious on how to throw it properly. I've been experimenting with different wrist positions, namely:

1. closed fist with the palm facing your face.

2. closed fist with the palm facing downwards.

3. closed fist with the palm facing the target.


I think position #1 is the best as far as power goes but I can't wheel my shot freely. Punching inclose and at a distance is uncomfortable using that position, because the angle of the wrist is somewhat limiting my arm's movement.

I was most comfortable with #2 and I think it's best for throwing really quick hooks because of how freely I can move around with it. The downside is that you can't really feel the snap in the punches.

#3 was a surprise. I can't recall any fighter throwing a hook that way but I was quite amazed at how comfortable and powerful it was punching a very near target using that method. You'd be nuts to throw it from long range, however.


I know most of you will say the best option is to position the wrist at an angle (around 45 degrees, palm facing the stomach) but I'm curious, what of the options above is the most ideal?

I'm doing backyard training so I don't have the luxury of asking a boxing trainer what to do, so anybody good enough to share some tips?
I always throw them by way 2, some throw them by way 1, a lot of them have something in between. Way 2 feels most natural for me and generates most power and results in more quickness. Way 3 is definitely wrong.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
Marc
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,513
vCash: 75
Default Re: What is the proper way to throw a hook?

Thanks for the input. #2 was most logical but I've been observing a lot of fights and a lot of fighters throw it using #1

Chris Pontius, #3 was surprisingly effective upclose. It looks weird and wrong I know but I didn't know I could have that much impact on a hook. It's easier to throw in a tight space and I produce a lot of power and it also hurts the knuckles the least upon impact.
Marc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:26 PM   #10
average_joe
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 244
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What is the proper way to throw a hook?

I used to do it #2. But I'm finding #1 a lot better. There's a lot more power generated, and you can feel it when you connect. As for #3, do you mean like a slapping motion? If, so then that isn't right.
average_joe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:46 AM   #11
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: "Just fucken jabbem heaps Choc!"
Posts: 8,236
vCash: 1325
Default Re: What is the proper way to throw a hook?

basic mechanics of a hook are #2.

also, throw it with your elbow parallel to the ground and at the same height as your shoulder, slowly, in shadowboxing, etc, until you get a fluid motion happening, before trying to put power into it on the bag.

Of course, hooks can be thrown from all angles and don't have to be parallel to the ground/from shoulder height, but I think this method is the best way to start learing the mechanics of throwing a hook before going off in other directions.
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #12
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 黒人文化の恋人のサンプリ
Posts: 10,027
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What is the proper way to throw a hook?

#2 is the clean hook usually for combos but for a joe frazier hook go for 1#

1# is usually from the outside coming in.and i feel i get more power form it...but that is my feelings about it

2# is as i have said is perfect for comming of a jab or cross. it's much more decisive and quicker where as the othe is more of a haymaker

i would choos all honesty 2#
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:13 PM   #13
Bigcat
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Valley of the shadow of death . Remember a desperate man is a dangerous man !!
Posts: 10,722
vCash: 300
Default Re: What is the proper way to throw a hook?

If you are comfortable and in a place where you are able to return the hand back concisively to protect your face following its connection you have won most of your battle.. I like a quick short hook, maximum turn at the waste and pivot on the toe of your lead foot.. staying well balanced.. i always like to see the hook thrown in a combination with other punches. ie.. Hooking off the jab and following a 1-2 (jab - right cross..) MY CHOICE.. Palm facing partly towards the ground and partly towards my chest with the thumb of the glove being the gloves highest point.. But everyone is unique.. God bless..
Bigcat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:24 PM   #14
Nwil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bobbyville
Posts: 357
vCash: 1000
Default Re: What is the proper way to throw a hook?

1 and 2 are both valid, 3 is rare and not really a type. 1 is what you'll find yourself using naturally in sparring. the only times I use 2 are when I'm inside, but most of the time, 1 is best. As for the motion, it's relatively difficult. thrown from the base stance, you twist very slightly to the left to gather momentum, then twist your hips explosively to the right, or clockwise, while pivoting your foot. the arm is just an extension of that explosive movement, so if your body moves correctly, the punch should be hard. and arm should generally be parallel to the floor.

there is also another left hook, which I call the 'arm' hook. mayweather used it against corrales. it wasn't all arm, like a jab, but it was not powerful....it was quick and sharp. it's basically focusing less on the whole rotation and just getting enough momentum to snap it out there. it's very effective because opponents don't expect it, especially once you can do it fast and while moving.
Nwil is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #15
Lostmykeys
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 443
vCash: 2036
Default Re: What is the proper way to throw a hook?

#1 Is the hook that I always use and I feel I can get the most power out of it.

#2 This is the one I see most people using.

#3 Not only can I not remember seeing this thrown before I can't even comprehend how you would do it.
Lostmykeys is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013