Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #16
Delroc
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jersey
Posts: 3,144
vCash: 1233
Default Re: Overeem vs Werdum - Predictions Thread

Vai Cavalo with the upset.
Delroc is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #17
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Overeem vs Werdum - Predictions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
Just to add to what you stated already, for all of Overeem's ability, his problem historically has been that he gases out. A KO by Overeem is possible because Werdum can be stunned, however, the longer this fight goes on, the more it is to Werdum's advantage because he has the ability and the style to stay longer in the fight.

For these reason's, even though a KO by Overeem would not be shocking, I pick Werdum via sub in the 3rd.
You must know something everyone else doesn't.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #18
Beekeeper
Bedtime Story, Aoki Style
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: France
Posts: 2,210
vCash: 277
Default Re: Overeem vs Werdum - Predictions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
You must know something everyone else doesn't.
Really? I just thought that's what happened in the Kharitonov and Werdum fights when he was doing pretty well early. Maybe he has improved, but it is hard to tell because he blows people out early, Werdum is his best opponent for a while though.
Beekeeper is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #19
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: By any means necessary
Posts: 17,818
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Overeem vs Werdum - Predictions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
Really? I just thought that's what happened in the Kharitonov and Werdum fights when he was doing pretty well early. Maybe he has improved, but it is hard to tell because he blows people out early, Werdum is his best opponent for a while though.
He didn't tire in either of those fights. He was simply out classed. Overeem has an excellent gas tank. Granted his conditioning did suffer somewhat in his earlier career at 205 because he lost so much weight in order to make light heavy. That said he's never been known to have a poor gas tank.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #20
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 7,481
vCash: 75
Default Re: Overeem vs Werdum - Predictions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
I don't really see him taking Overeem down and getting on top, but the way he got Overeem into his own guard from the first fight is definitely possible again.

Yes, he could certainly get stunned and probably will by Overeem, but unless he is KO's cold he is a very difficult man to finish on the ground, probably the most difficult at HW.

If Overeem does not get him with a flurry in the 1st, it will become easier and easier for Werdum to take the fight where he wants. Even if he cannot get on top of reem he can still make it happen from his back as we have seen before.
I see what your saying

And i sort of agree ish , i think people are looking too deep into the Rogers fight and are as always underestimating Werdum a little , im the worst for doing that i ****in hate the guy !!!

I do beleive however Overeem is a different animal nowadays , the complete package as a heavyweight striker goes , he has excellent grappling , elite level stand up , and looks bullish strong .

If Werdum gets a hold of Overeem and pulls guard i think its a bad day for Overeem , Overeem must avoid the ground with Werdum at all costs , question being does he have the cardio to a) avoid Werdums take downs and b) avoid or outwork Werdum in the clinch , as well as being effective on the feet , Werdum is a real sized heavyweight , he's not a fat guy like Rogers and the size / weight difference could take its toll over the duration , explosive strength would have to go to Overeem but how many of them explosions does Overeem have before before coming tired ??
thewinfella is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #21
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 7,481
vCash: 75
Default Re: Overeem vs Werdum - Predictions Thread

I think Overeem is gonna knock him out in the first round

Werdum's slow and shall we say flawed stand up will land him in trouble and IMO he will have no answer to Overeems superior stand up and TD defence .

I see Overeem dominating the stand up with combinations of jabs and leg kicks until Werdum gets a little desperate and Overeem finishes him off

I do however concur that the longer this fight goes the better it looks for Werdum , but by that stage of the fight Werdum may have suffered some heavy blows

In summary ive got Overeem making a big statement with a dominant 1st round KO
thewinfella is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #22
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,269
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Overeem vs Werdum - Predictions Thread

My gut says Overeem is going to be brutal. He'll have a huge advantage in the stand up and Werdum isn't enough of a takedown specialist to take it to where he is strong. Even if it does go down there Reem is no slouch and he'll surely be wary of a sub.

Ultimately it starts standing and I think Overeem is more devastating and capable in his area than Werdum is in his area. Reem is a complete striker, Werdum is not a complete grappler. He is an excellent submission specialist but maybe he has been working on his wrestling and boxing.

It is about execution though, is Overeem too confident. Maybe Werdum is more wise about Reems power than Reem is about his submission. Who knows, that is what makes this fight so exciting.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #23
Sloth
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 840
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Overeem vs Werdum - Predictions Thread

Reem by strikes. When is this fight BTW?
Sloth is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #24
Ai-edy2007
STOCKTON 209 MOTHER****ER
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,771
vCash: 500
Default Re: Overeem vs Werdum - Predictions Thread

overeem is going to kill werdum
Ai-edy2007 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:19 AM   #25
Beekeeper
Bedtime Story, Aoki Style
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: France
Posts: 2,210
vCash: 277
Default Re: Overeem vs Werdum - Predictions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
He didn't tire in either of those fights. He was simply out classed. Overeem has an excellent gas tank. Granted his conditioning did suffer somewhat in his earlier career at 205 because he lost so much weight in order to make light heavy. That said he's never been known to have a poor gas tank.

I am a Kharitonov fan but I cannot say that he had the skill to outclass Overeem. It was more that he paced himself well, had a rock solid chin and was able to last long enough to stun Overeem. That is not just Overeem gassing, I know but this was part of it.

As for Werdum, just looks at how much more easily he was able to get Reem to the ground as the fight goes on.
Beekeeper is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:23 AM   #26
Beekeeper
Bedtime Story, Aoki Style
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: France
Posts: 2,210
vCash: 277
Default Re: Overeem vs Werdum - Predictions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
I see what your saying

And i sort of agree ish , i think people are looking too deep into the Rogers fight and are as always underestimating Werdum a little , im the worst for doing that i ****in hate the guy !!!

I do beleive however Overeem is a different animal nowadays , the complete package as a heavyweight striker goes , he has excellent grappling , elite level stand up , and looks bullish strong .

If Werdum gets a hold of Overeem and pulls guard i think its a bad day for Overeem , Overeem must avoid the ground with Werdum at all costs , question being does he have the cardio to a) avoid Werdums take downs and b) avoid or outwork Werdum in the clinch , as well as being effective on the feet , Werdum is a real sized heavyweight , he's not a fat guy like Rogers and the size / weight difference could take its toll over the duration , explosive strength would have to go to Overeem but how many of them explosions does Overeem have before before coming tired ??

That is a good breakdown and like I said, if Overeem wins I would not be surprised, however, as much hate as you have for Werdum, you can't deny he has fought some of the most dangerous guys in the division. Look at Overeem's recent wins compared to Werdum's and tell me who's is more impressive.
Beekeeper is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013