Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Pernell Whitaker vs Roberto Duran

I'd be interested to know your opinions of who comes out on top in this encounter. Also, would the result be different at 135 & 147?

I would say that at Lightweight Duran would get the decision as he was a force of nature at 135. However, at Welter I lean towards Whitaker getting the nod as I think Duran wasn't the same force at 147 plus he'd find Whitaker even harder to catch clean.

What do you think...?

I'm still very new here, so I'm keen to get to know peoples views and idea's on this proposed matchup.

Last edited by Sweet Science; 06-26-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Sweet Science is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Pernell Whitaker vs Roberto Duran

At 135lbs Duran tko 12, his combination of speed, power, agression and toughness is rear to see. I don't see any lightweight beating Duran when he's at his best.
At 147lbs it would got to decision and be real tight I slightly favour Duran but wouldn't be surprised if Whitaker got the nod, although he didn't get much luck when it came to decision like the Ramirez fight.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
At 135lbs Duran tko 12,
I think Duran would have won at 135 but by stoppage or KO I'm not so sure. Pernell was super tough and a defensive wizard so as great as Duran was I don't think he'd land quite enough shots to get Whitaker out of there.

Last edited by Sweet Science; 06-26-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Good post, Sweet_Science. I agree.

135lbs: Duran takes it on pts.
147lbs: Whitaker, by close decision (perhaps SD)

Ps: check out The "Top10" thread. I've finally replied to the post you left yesterday.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #5
Swedish81
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

No one Ko'es Whitaker at any weight, not even Duran. He's defense was just too good.
Remember how Trinidad was unable to KO an old out of his prime cokehead Whitaker.

I think it would be a really close fight at both weights and I think Pernell could edge it at 147 as well as at 135.
Duran was good but he wasn't unbeatable. He had tendencies of being frustrated at times and who was better doing that than Pea.

Duran would get frustrated and start with foul tactics and Whitaker would answer with his own share of fouls and clowning, remember that Pernell was a very dirty fighter too. Duran would get more and more wild which would favour Whitaker and he would squeze out the decision.
Swedish81 is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Science
I think Duran would have won at 135 but by stoppage or KO I'm not so sure. Pernell was super tough and a defensive wizard so as great as Duran was I don't think he'd land quite enough shots to get Whitaker out of there.
By tko I didn't mean Duran lands so many unanswered shots but that he knockes Pernell down and when gets up he's all dazed and out of it so the ref calls it.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #7
Sweet Science
Peaceful Muslim Warrior
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
By tko I didn't mean Duran lands so many unanswered shots but that he knockes Pernell down and when gets up he's all dazed and out of it so the ref calls it.
Well Duran would have to land many unanswered CLEAN shots to have a chance of knocking Pernell down.

I just can't see Duran being able to knock sweet pea down at all. I can see Duran winning a decision at 135, but as great as Duran was he would have to be able to hit Whitaker. He would have to hit him often, because Whitaker had a great chin and was also damn tough for such a slick boxer.

Last edited by Sweet Science; 06-26-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #8
JimmyShimmy
1050 psi
ESB Full Member

Whitaker would UD Duran. I really do not tihnk that even the 135lbs Duran would be able to contend with the constantly turning, ducking, and clowning Pernell.

Whitakers output was crazy, and out of that small moving target would be popping jabs everywhere.

Whitaker would do his side-winding thing, make Duran hit his hip enough times to get a point taken off, frustrate him and then pop his face. He has the stamina to make Sure Duran does not get on top, and the elusive ability to contend with his flexible arsenal.
JimmyShimmy is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #9
la-califa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Duran was by no means an undisiplined brawler. If he found Whitaker too elusive he would move in and punish the body, slow Whitaker & get him in the late rounds. Ala Esteban DeJesus. At Welterweight a slower Duran could be outpointed by a defensive fighter, who uses constant movement. like Wilfred Benitez.
la-califa is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
Muskyrat
Journeyman

Duran was too strong for just about anybody at 135 so reckon he'd win
at 147 he wasnt quite the same force so think he'd lose on points
Muskyrat is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 01:02 PM   #11
Executioner
Belt holder
ESB Addict

At 135, Duran wins a unanimous decision. Whitaker's southpaw style, skill, speed and defense would give Duran problems, and Duran's pressure, strength, and skill would give Whitaker problems. Duran himself had a great defense too in his own right.

I don't think Duran would land enough clean, hard punches on Whitaker to force a stoppage. I suspect that the punchstat numbers would be pretty close but a wide advantage for the power punches in Durans favor.

At 147, it's a toss up.
Executioner is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 01:05 PM   #12
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

At lightweight, I think Duran's strength and pressure would wear down Whitaker in an utter classic, with crazy punchstats. Duran would win a tight but fair decision, something like 8-7 or 7-5-2.

At welterweight, I'd pick Whitaker to narrowly beat Duran, against by tight decision.

The odd thing is, were I to design a boxer to beat Whitaker, I'd produce someone like Duran. Yet, even then, Sweet Pea would be able to make it a 50-50 fight. That's how great he was.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 05:08 PM   #13
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Good points, Kurgan.

I would assert that Duran was physically very strong for a LW. Whitaker was tough, but I think that Duran would manhandle him on the inside. Duran was in close with monsters like Hagler and Barkley and while outgunned, can anyone see Whitaker not getting tossed off his feet by both?

Let's not forget how elusive Duran himself was in his prime either. Duran's handspeed was damn good too. Leonard didn't look comparatively like lightening in Montreal. In any event, Brown and Arcel would see that Duran stays close and throw lots of hooks off of Whitakers arms, vary his shots, feint, and stay busy. I just can't see Whitaker handling that kind of pressure over 15 -over 12 maybe, but not over 15.

Duran UD. Whitaker would enrage Duran more than once, but in the end would pee blood for a year.

WW... I see no difference.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 05:26 PM   #14
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskyrat
Duran was too strong for just about anybody at 135 so reckon he'd win
at 147 he wasnt quite the same force so think he'd lose on points
Oh man, look at your signature. Lovely ko.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 05:39 PM   #15
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Duran goes downstairs to take it on points. Whitaker wouldn't be able to predict where Duran was coming from. Pernell would fade a little over the championship rounds.

Duran UD 15 Whitaker. (If Sweet Pea and Manos de Piedra had performed a sumo exhibition at their IBHOF induction, I would've bet the mortgage on Duran.)
Duodenum is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum