Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #91
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290
Default Re: weight lifting...why such different views on it in boxing???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylem View Post
Lefty, when should you start liftin fast?

3*3 3*5 3*30?

or should you just leave the fast lifting to plyo? because when you do 1 rm and 3*3 or 3*5 your going to be training the muscle the same regardless of how quickly your doing it?
If you're lifting between 30-60% of your 1RM you can train explosively for 5-6 reps as the point on the force-velocity curve where power output is greatest is at around 30% of max force and 30% of max velocity. Lots of strength and conditioning coaches employ lifting like this with athletes these days. 1RM means you can only lift that weight once btw. Olympic lifts are obviously performed explosively as well. You can train for power, strength, endurance or hypertrophy with weights, you just need to know what your goal for lifting is and the best way to achieve your goal.
lefty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #92
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ylem View Post
im not one to speak for any one as im a retard but ii dont think by saying you dont need to lift it fast hes automatically inferring that you need to lift it slow.

i may be complelty wrong i believe the point is that the set and how much weight your lifting makes up how the lifting effects how the muscle is trained, not how quickly or how slowly you do it.
Exactly
lefty is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #93
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Why anyone would want to lift any weight slowly I don't know. If a weight is heavy obviously it's going to move slowly. Pushing/pulling the weight as hard and as fast as possible is the goal.
There's no reason to try and push a weight up explosively apart from what I mentioned above, it makes absolutely no difference. The person who penned this article uses scientific terms but he obviously doesn't understand what they mean or the physiology behind them. I had to laugh when he talked about changing type I fibres to type II.
There's no reason to push a weight up quickly, it used to be a popular thing to do as people who don't really understand muscle physiology just think, I want to be explosive, then everything I do has to be explosive. If you're training max strength the weight dictates that you can't be explosive. If you're training 3-5RM then sure you could push the weight a little faster but it would make no difference to how your muscles adapt. Velocity of contraction is irrelevant when you're lifting like that. 2 seconds as you breathe out on the concentric part is fine
lefty is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #94
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypercube View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

And lefty is that you on the left?

You’re a right handed southpaw?
That's not me mate, that's Vasyl Lomachenko aka the most skilled fighter on the planet. I'm unsure if he's a natural righty, I've seen him sign autographs with his right hand and he does sometimes square up in fights and rely on the right more. If he does switch in fights it's just momentary in order to throw a straight right if that's the position he's found himself in. Look up some YouTube videos of him, he's honestly the only fighter I've ever seen that has no weaknesses, he can adjust to any style and fight in any style. He's apparently only ever lost one fight, he avenged that loss at the 2008 olympics on his way to winning gold and the Val barker trophy.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2011, 01:52 AM   #95
Hypercube

vCash:

I recognise him now......... Martin Stead would take him.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:56 AM   #96
Hypercube

vCash:

BORKED
Old 06-18-2011, 01:56 AM   #97
Hypercube

vCash:

Are you a lefty/righty or orthodox/southpaw though?
Old 06-18-2011, 02:05 AM   #98
Hypercube

vCash:

Similarly to how [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] lost to James Degale in 2008.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:22 AM   #99
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I recognise him now......... Martin Stead would take him.
That's funny
lefty is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2011, 03:32 AM   #100
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Are you a lefty/righty or orthodox/southpaw though?
I'm a natural right hander but as I grew up I used my left alot as well, I do different things with different hands. I shoot the basketball with my left and I box southpaw, my favourite punch to throw is the whipping left to the body as it really hurts everyone it lands on. I'm left eye dominant so that explains it a bit. I guess I could say that I'm ambidextrous as I can write with both hands without any problem
lefty is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2011, 03:46 AM   #101
Hypercube

vCash:

You mean you’re a natural left hander who was forced to write with his right hand?

How can people write with their weaker left?
Old 06-18-2011, 03:48 AM   #102
Hypercube

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
That's funny
Click on the Bakhtiyar Artayev 2004 Val Barker winner link to see James Degale’s name in 2008.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:49 AM   #103
Hypercube

vCash:

Stead has won more ABA titles than James Degale himself.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:15 AM   #104
Ylem
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
How can people write with their weaker left?
compared to writing with their stronger left? what does this have to do with the thread topic? in fact what has any of your recent posts had to do with the thread topic?
Ylem is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2011, 05:38 AM   #105
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
There's no reason to try and push a weight up explosively apart from what I mentioned above, it makes absolutely no difference. The person who penned this article uses scientific terms but he obviously doesn't understand what they mean or the physiology behind them. I had to laugh when he talked about changing type I fibres to type II.
There's no reason to push a weight up quickly, it used to be a popular thing to do as people who don't really understand muscle physiology just think, I want to be explosive, then everything I do has to be explosive. If you're training max strength the weight dictates that you can't be explosive. If you're training 3-5RM then sure you could push the weight a little faster but it would make no difference to how your muscles adapt. Velocity of contraction is irrelevant when you're lifting like that. 2 seconds as you breathe out on the concentric part is fine
Quote:
Chad Waterbury is a neurophysiologist and author whose unique training methods are used by a wide range of athletes, bodybuilders, figure models, and fitness enthusiasts of all ages and from all walks of life.

He was the director of strength and conditioning at the Rickson Gracie International Jiu Jitsu Center in West Los Angeles and now works with professional fighters, celebrities and non-athletes one-on-one.

He contributes to many magazines such as Men’s Health, Men’s Fitness, Fight! and the T-Muscle bodybuilding Web site, and he’s the author of Huge in a Hurry and Muscle Revolution. He also lectures at fitness conferences and gives personal seminars on a limited basis.

Chad has a master’s degree in physiology from the University of Arizona, where his focus on the neurophysiology of human movement and performance led him to make radical changes in the way he trains competitive athletes as well as nonathletic clients. His workouts are now shorter and faster, producing superior results in strength, power, and muscular development, while at the same time inducing less fatigue and allowing for shorter recovery periods between workouts.
You're saying this guy has no clue?
viru§™ is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing