Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
LongJab
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Default Where to jab with the 1-2

Before I used to always throw the 1-2 in the same area: I would jab to the head and then follow it with a straight right. I rarely seemed to land my right hand. I would find my opponents would generally do this: I would jab, they would raise their guard, and then my right would land on their rasied guard. Very frusterating.

My new coach has me doing this: Jab lower, almost in the chest area. This would be a distarction, and if they block the jab, their hands are now lowered, allowing a clear path for the right.

Does everyone else do this? Is this a "common" method of using the 1-2?

Thoughts?
LongJab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2011, 04:55 AM   #2
furor celtica
Creeping Death
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Default Re: Where to jab with the 1-2

when you jab to the chest it needs to be firm and stiff, not just a flick jab, thats worthless. a stiff jab to the chest is usually used to catch a 'mover' so you can land any other right hand shot.
personally i don't think any good boxer would move his guard down to block a jab to the chest, unless he has newbie reflexes. he'll probably shove your hand down and jab back to your uncovered face.
furor celtica is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:30 AM   #3
BoxinScienceUSA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Default Re: Where to jab with the 1-2

it sounds to me that you think boxing is easier than it is. it's a chess match. everyone knows ther's a 2 coming after the 1, and how do i still score? and that's the trick and skill to boxing. how do i create the opening to score? and the scoring shots may not happen that early in the combination. you may have to throw 3-5 shots before you create an opportunity to land a clean shot. you may have to go to the body then back to the head. if their guard is coming to the center then they may be open for hooks. be persistant and keep throwing combinations.

as far as the jab, put it all over the place; eyes, nose, throat, mouth, left eye, right eye, wrists and hands (yes place your jab directly into his hand. let him think he's blocking but really you're lulling him into the illusion, then BOOM, drop the right hand bomb straight down on his open target).
BoxinScienceUSA is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,497
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where to jab with the 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxinScienceUSA View Post
it sounds to me that you think boxing is easier than it is. it's a chess match. everyone knows ther's a 2 coming after the 1, and how do i still score? and that's the trick and skill to boxing. how do i create the opening to score? and the scoring shots may not happen that early in the combination. you may have to throw 3-5 shots before you create an opportunity to land a clean shot. you may have to go to the body then back to the head. if their guard is coming to the center then they may be open for hooks. be persistant and keep throwing combinations.

as far as the jab, put it all over the place; eyes, nose, throat, mouth, left eye, right eye, wrists and hands (yes place your jab directly into his hand. let him think he's blocking but really you're lulling him into the illusion, then BOOM, drop the right hand bomb straight down on his open target).
... Straight punches, don't telegraph, be real quick. Try throwing a jab, Jab, one two, one two. All to the head. This should work most of the time, especially with novices.
rodney is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:30 AM   #5
Headlock
Wolf shirt enthusiast.
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
Default Re: Where to jab with the 1-2

timing too. If you throw the 1, 2 and he catches em both then next time through the 1..... 2. He'll block the jab, then when the 2 doesn't come he'll reset his guard and that's when your right comes straight down the middle. Or even another stiff jab, maybe from an angle. Keep changing it up so he never knows what's coming when and they'll start landing, or maybe he'll stay covered up a bit more and give you the opportunity to go to the body.
Headlock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
BagsWithDust
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 693
vCash: 500
Default Re: Where to jab with the 1-2

Throw the jab, wait a quick second, see what the guy does, and if you find an opening throw the right hand.
BagsWithDust is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
Dish
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 146
vCash: 500
Default Re: Where to jab with the 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagsWithDust View Post
Throw the jab, wait a quick second, see what the guy does, and if you find an opening throw the right hand.

yeah, NO. you couldn't be more wrong. Unless you enjoy getting countered.


occasionally, once your opponent is used to your 1-2 rhythm, only THEN should you change the tempo up. But if you consistently 1-2 like BagsofToolbox recommends, you will get eaten alive.
Dish is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,477
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Where to jab with the 1-2

Punch the left glove with the jab see what happens
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
BagsWithDust
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 693
vCash: 500
Default Re: Where to jab with the 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dish View Post
yeah, NO. you couldn't be more wrong. Unless you enjoy getting countered.


occasionally, once your opponent is used to your 1-2 rhythm, only THEN should you change the tempo up. But if you consistently 1-2 like BagsofToolbox recommends, you will get eaten alive.
There are more ways to throw the 1-2, the way i suggested was more of an observation technique. If you do this in the first couple of rounds its effective. Its to see how the guy reacts to your jab, so if he counters make adjustments, if he parries it try to double up. etc etc.

The point is to try and make your 1-2's effective and accurate. There is no need to mindlessly keep throwing 1-2's and letting your opponent get your rhythm down. If he does you will get eaten alive.
BagsWithDust is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,380
vCash: 75
Default Re: Where to jab with the 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dish View Post
yeah, NO. you couldn't be more wrong. Unless you enjoy getting countered.


occasionally, once your opponent is used to your 1-2 rhythm, only THEN should you change the tempo up. But if you consistently 1-2 like BagsofToolbox recommends, you will get eaten alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BagsWithDust View Post
There are more ways to throw the 1-2, the way i suggested was more of an observation technique. If you do this in the first couple of rounds its effective. Its to see how the guy reacts to your jab, so if he counters make adjustments, if he parries it try to double up. etc etc.

The point is to try and make your 1-2's effective and accurate. There is no need to mindlessly keep throwing 1-2's and letting your opponent get your rhythm down. If he does you will get eaten alive.
I think his issue is with the 'wait a second.' Last thing I'm doing is throwing a jab and standing there.

And 'first couple of rounds'? There's only 3 lol. I'll tell you how the guy will react: he'll counter you. You can just assume this and work off it.

You don't have time to see how people react in amateur boxing. They react by scoring points on you and then stopping you. You go in there and annihilate them. If it isn't working you adjust. There's no time for patterning your opponent or worrying about what he's going to do. You do what you want to do and if it doesn't work you do something else.

I get the idea of off-timing him though. It definitely works. You can't do it all the time though, you have to set it up. Your idea typically works best AFTER you've established a pattern of mindlessly throwing quick 1-2's. Get him thinking it's always a 1-2, there's always a 2 coming, wait, why didn't he throw the 2 that time? *drops guard and gets ko'd by 2*
KillSomething is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #11
BagsWithDust
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 693
vCash: 500
Default Re: Where to jab with the 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
I think his issue is with the 'wait a second.' Last thing I'm doing is throwing a jab and standing there.

And 'first couple of rounds'? There's only 3 lol. I'll tell you how the guy will react: he'll counter you. You can just assume this and work off it.

You don't have time to see how people react in amateur boxing. They react by scoring points on you and then stopping you. You go in there and annihilate them. If it isn't working you adjust. There's no time for patterning your opponent or worrying about what he's going to do. You do what you want to do and if it doesn't work you do something else.

I get the idea of off-timing him though. It definitely works. You can't do it all the time though, you have to set it up. Your idea typically works best AFTER you've established a pattern of mindlessly throwing quick 1-2's. Get him thinking it's always a 1-2, there's always a 2 coming, wait, why didn't he throw the 2 that time? *drops guard and gets ko'd by 2*
Ahh my bad, lol i forgot that we was talking about amateur boxing here. If thats the case, I would have to agree with what you said. Patterned 1-2's then off setting him with a different 1-2.

Its just that for me, when i spar i do usually about 6 rounds so thats why i suggested my technique. But in a 3 round bout it wouldnt be as effective
BagsWithDust is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
anthony jr
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: at the top
Posts: 1,034
vCash: 741
Default Re: Where to jab with the 1-2

i used to struggle with this i started to slam the right hand downstairs fast and after two or three times they tended to pull their arms down to cover the body and it exposed from the cheek up on their face. then i would jab dip my knees but comes straight up top witha right hand worked alot they didnt know if they were gettin a solid body shot or one flush in the face.
anthony jr is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #13
LongJab
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Default Re: Where to jab with the 1-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Punch the left glove with the jab see what happens
Interesting. Gonna try that out tomorrow...
LongJab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #14
bck620
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 317
vCash: 500
Default Re: Where to jab with the 1-2

Try this: 1-2, STEP, 2

STEP= take an angle to the right
bck620 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013