Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 06-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #16
kenmore
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 103
Default Re: What is Povetkin's status now? Why no fights?

Povetkin should go back to his original style, which was built around intense, overwhelming aggression. That's what comes naturally Povetkin, and that's what he does best. If a trainer wants to make Povetkin "better," I think he should focus on building on Povetkin's original strengths.

It's probably counterproductive to try to get Povetkin to improve in his weak areas, such as defense, etc. Povetkin's offensive is, in fact, his best defense. When Povetkin storms forward, his opponents are not able to punch as much. When Povetkin holds back, his opponents have opportunities to exploit him, or to frustrate him.

I can suggest two areas where Povetkin should focus his efforts to improve. In these areas, Povetkin will get most benefit, measured in terms of practical "returns" for effort "invested."

1. Massively improve bobbing-and-weaving techniques, to make Povetkin that much harder to hit as he attacks.

2. Massively improve Povetkin's strenth, speed, conditioning, and stamina. Povetkin was already a whirlwind of a fighter, but if he gets even stronger physically, he would be that much better, particularly since his style is effort-laden. Maybe steroids would help here.

In short, Povetkin's natural path of develop is to be much like Joe Frazier.
kenmore is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2011, 05:15 AM   #17
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

If you watch the Chambers fight then you see this mentally broke Povetkin. He won the fight but he took so much punishment that he started to doubt his own abilities. On paper, Povetkin should have blown away Chambers and dominated him. But struggled and barely cruised to a decision.

This was the turning point in Povetkin's career. He's not been the same since.
madballster is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2011, 05:37 AM   #18
Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1449

Quote:
Originally Posted by madballster View Post
If you watch the Chambers fight then you see this mentally broke Povetkin. He won the fight but he took so much punishment that he started to doubt his own abilities. On paper, Povetkin should have blown away Chambers and dominated him. But struggled and barely cruised to a decision.

I would disagree with that, Chambers was/is a solid top 7 fighter and was a good victory, I would hardly say Povetkin was expected to blow him away.
Manning is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2011, 05:51 AM   #19
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
I would disagree with that, Chambers was/is a solid top 7 fighter and was a good victory, I would hardly say Povetkin was expected to blow him away.

Exactly. It was a good win against a real contender. It was what happenend after that was the problem..
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #20
Dee
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 138

F**K Povetkin.

Hasen't he heard of a press release?

Unless I find out that something really messed up has happened in his life, then as far as I'm concerned, he's taking the piss.

Just one press release every month or so, or something on his out of date website.

Is that too much to ask?
Dee is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #21
Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
F**K Povetkin.

Hasen't he heard of a press release?

Unless I find out that something really messed up has happened in his life, then as far as I'm concerned, he's taking the piss.

Just one press release every month or so, or something on his out of date website.

Is that too much to ask?
I believe his father died prior to when he was supposed to fight Wlad.
Manning is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2011, 04:37 AM   #22
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by madballster View Post

Meh.

I think Povetkin's problems can all be traced back to a pair of enormous, powerpunching Ukrainian borthers.
Cachibatches is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2011, 06:04 AM   #23
Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

Povetkin sparring with Marius Wach in NJ

Undefeated heavyweight contenders Mariusz Wach and Alexander Povetkin met in a boxing ring Tuesday afternoon – not in a sold-out arena in Europe with millions of dollars at stake – but in an empty boxing gym to prepare each other for their upcoming bouts.

Wach, 24-0 (12 KO), of North Bergen, NJ by way of Krakow, Poland and Povetkin, 21-0 (15 KO) of Russia, sparred a number of rounds at the Middletown Boxing Club in New Jersey under the watchful eyes of their trainers.

Wach, who is promoted by Global Boxing, is guided by Juan De Leon, while Povetkin, a number two ranked heavyweight by the WBA and 2004 Olympic Gol medalist, is trained by the legendary Teddy Atlas.

“It was a great honor to spar with Povetkin,” said Wach, who will face an opponent to be named on July 29 at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, CT.

“Povetkin is a strong fighter with good power, but this helped affirm my belief that I can contend with the best boxers in the world. I believe I will be the heavyweight champion of the world soon, and working with good fighters like Povetkin will get me

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Manning is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #24
Dee
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 138

Quote:
I believe his father died prior to when he was supposed to fight Wlad.
Fairplay with that, and my condolences.
Dee is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #25
Post Box
I'm back too, bitches
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I liked Povetkins fundamentals but he looks ruined now
Post Box is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #26
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Povetkin sparring with Marius Wach in NJ

Undefeated heavyweight contenders Mariusz Wach and Alexander Povetkin met in a boxing ring Tuesday afternoon – not in a sold-out arena in Europe with millions of dollars at stake – but in an empty boxing gym to prepare each other for their upcoming bouts.

Wach, 24-0 (12 KO), of North Bergen, NJ by way of Krakow, Poland and Povetkin, 21-0 (15 KO) of Russia, sparred a number of rounds at the Middletown Boxing Club in New Jersey under the watchful eyes of their trainers.

Wach, who is promoted by Global Boxing, is guided by Juan De Leon, while Povetkin, a number two ranked heavyweight by the WBA and 2004 Olympic Gol medalist, is trained by the legendary Teddy Atlas.

“It was a great honor to spar with Povetkin,” said Wach, who will face an opponent to be named on July 29 at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, CT.

“Povetkin is a strong fighter with good power, but this helped affirm my belief that I can contend with the best boxers in the world. I believe I will be the heavyweight champion of the world soon, and working with good fighters like Povetkin will get me

Well, at least we see Atlas is still in the picture.

Shit, why don't these two fight for real? Wach has been around for ahwile now.
Cachibatches is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #27
jacklondon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Of all the trainers in the world this Russian feller picks a psychopathic Jewish criminal from New York City? Why? Because Atlas has the "connections", of course. Just another thing showing how corrupt boxing is these days. Worse than ever, and unfortunately Povetkin must be in with it up to his ears.

Last edited by jacklondon; 06-23-2011 at 06:04 PM.
jacklondon is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #28
Nosbor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklondon View Post
Of all the trainers in the world this Russian feller picks a psychopathic Jewish criminal from New York City? Why? Because Atlas has the "connections", of course. Just another thing showing how corrupt boxing is these days. Worse than ever, and unfortunately Povetkin must be in with it up to his ears.
Hopefully he does not wind up like Sergei Kobozev! Atlas was in the middle of that as well.
Nosbor is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #29
jacklondon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosbor View Post
Hopefully he does not wind up like Sergei Kobozev! Atlas was in the middle of that as well.
Oh man, I've thought about that too - but I didn't know that son of a bitch Atlas was involved with that too, tho no doubt his friends and "business associates" were. Tell me about it.
jacklondon is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #30
Nosbor
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklondon View Post
Oh man, I've thought about that too - but I didn't know that son of a bitch Atlas was involved with that too, tho no doubt his friends and "business associates" were. Tell me about it.
Kobozev was managed by Atlas and inturn killed by the Russian(Jewish) mob. That is all I really know for certain. Kobozev supposidly beat up young mobster over a dispute involving a woman, So the guy had it in for him.

I honestly do not know how things got to the point where he was killed but it is not hard for me to think that several business situations were at play, possibly involving Atlas. After all Atlas does have ties to Jewish organized crime.

It is hard for me to believe that a dispute over a woman was the sole cause for this especially considering the company involved. I am sure others on here know more than myself and I probably should not have opened this can of worms but I could not help myself when I saw your feelings/understanding of Atlas' nature.
Nosbor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum