Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Julio Cesar Chavez vs Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Chavez 81 56.25%
Mayweather 63 43.75%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #31
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900
Default Re: Julio Cesar Chavez vs Floyd Mayweather Jr.

yeah, lets not forget it was pernell sweet pea whitaker.
Relentless is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2007, 09:18 AM   #32
knockout
Make my day
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Mayweather by tko.
knockout is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #33
pit
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by payaso1831
PBF had no where near, no where near, the speed of Taylor
well Chevez proved you need more then speed to beat him , and floyd is defiantly a smarter fighter then Taylor and stronger at 140 and 147 in my opinion .. I'll go with PBF by slight ud
pit is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #34
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Depends what weight at 130lbs Chavez decision, at 135lbs Chavez late TKO, at 140lbs 50/50 and at 147lbs Mayweather decision.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 10:32 AM   #35
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by payaso1831
PBF had no where near, no where near, the speed of Taylor
Mayweather also doesnt take the risks Taylor took, is better defensively and would win a UD.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #36
Haye
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tricky one, you can base your decision on the Taylor fight I guess, but he was dominating Chavez, even though he had gotten dragged into a bit of a brawl. If he had fought with a little less pride and a little more brains, he would have got a very wide UD. He was getting a wide UD anyway, bit of a bullshit stoppage seeing as the fight was basicly over. But he should have won that fight.

Mayweather UD, because he would not trade with Chavez and risk getting worn down and Koed late. He would outbox him from distance.
Haye is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #37
reevee69
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haye
Tricky one, you can base your decision on the Taylor fight I guess, but he was dominating Chavez, even though he had gotten dragged into a bit of a brawl.
Damaged a bit is quite an understatement. Yes Taylor was doing most of the landing, but he was doing all of the bleeding too. He had a broken orbital bone and also had swallowed a pint of his own blood if I remember it correctly. People forget that in his prime, Chavez was a monster.

Yes he ran into the defensive wizard Whitaker and he was never able to solve Pernell. But please don't compare Floyd's defense with Sweat Pea. There is no comparison.

Floyd can be trapped on the ropes. Castillo showed us that. If Castillo was able to dominate him, then Chavez would have put a serious hurting on him.

We can argue the finer points all day long, but don't think it would be a cake walk for PBF.

My choice would be Chavez via late round TKO.
reevee69 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #38
pit
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher
Mayweather also doesnt take the risks Taylor took, is better defensively and would win a UD.
Very True , Taylor decided to traded shots with the heavier fisted Chavez on this inside , and most of the shots Taylor took were uncontested , I Doubt floyd would allow himself to take so much damage that early in the fight.
pit is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #39
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haye
He was getting a wide UD anyway, bit of a bullshit stoppage seeing as the fight was basicly over.
That was a textbook stoppage. Steele asked Taylor if he was OK. Taylor didn't respond. Fight over. Refs aren't supposed to look at the clock when deciding if a fighter is fit to continue. They look at the fighter.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #40
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

The best weight for this would be at 135

Contrary to what many say, Chavez was very good at dealing with speed when he was at his best. Look no further than the Hector Camacho destruction. And he wasn't slow either - certainly faster than a prime Jose Luis Castillo. Both Castillo fights were competitive, but the second was not nearly as close as the first.

He was a cerebral fighter who was a master at cutting off the ring, placing perfect body shots, and punishing fighters through accumulation. He had excellent boxing skills and could counterpunch, so he wasn't an unskilled brawler like some believe. People should watch the Edwin Rosario fight to see him skills as a fighter.

The thing that troubled him in the Meldrick Taylor fight was not only Taylor's handspeed, but moreso, the workrate. Every time he was set to throw, Taylor would whip off 6, 7, 8, 9 punch flurries. Floyd would not be throwing those flurries and standing right in front of Chavez so it would be a much different fight.

Against Whitaker, Chavez was fighting above his best weight class, so he didn't have his prime speed. Whitaker was bettering him on the inside as well, and I highlight doubt Floyd would fight him there.

It comes down to Chavez being able to deal with the movement of Mayweather. I see he could cut off the ring, roughing Floyd up, and landing hard body shots and some good punches upstairs. Floyd would be very competitive though, so it wouldn't be a repeat of the Camacho fight.

Chavez UD
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #41
jecxbox
St. Brett
ESB Addict

Quote:
Hector Camacho o my!!!!!!!!! Both Sweet Pea and Mel were robbed against Chavez. They were both kicking his overrated ass. That proves right there that Chavez can't deal with speed. PBF would tattoo his ass all night long.
Your stupidity baffles me! Your pretty boy lost to Castillo and your telling me that Floyd would have beat Chavez who could cut the ring off so hard it wasn't even funny. Mayweather barely escaped against Castillo he would have gotten absolutely destroyed by Chavez. Along with the disgusting body attack of Chavez and constant pressure plus an Iron chin. Please dude you're ****ed up in the head.
jecxbox is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #42
Sonny Carson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Castillo was better at cutting the ring off against faster fighter's than Chavez was. He did it against Stevie Johnson too. Chavez could only fight guy's who stood in front of him. The only fast fighter who he cut the ring off on was Camacho and he was shot at that point.
Sonny Carson is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #43
Sonny Carson
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1550
The best weight for this would be at 135

Contrary to what many say, Chavez was very good at dealing with speed when he was at his best. Look no further than the Hector Camacho destruction. And he wasn't slow either - certainly faster than a prime Jose Luis Castillo. Both Castillo fights were competitive, but the second was not nearly as close as the first.

He was a cerebral fighter who was a master at cutting off the ring, placing perfect body shots, and punishing fighters through accumulation. He had excellent boxing skills and could counterpunch, so he wasn't an unskilled brawler like some believe. People should watch the Edwin Rosario fight to see him skills as a fighter.

The thing that troubled him in the Meldrick Taylor fight was not only Taylor's handspeed, but moreso, the workrate. Every time he was set to throw, Taylor would whip off 6, 7, 8, 9 punch flurries. Floyd would not be throwing those flurries and standing right in front of Chavez so it would be a much different fight.

Against Whitaker, Chavez was fighting above his best weight class, so he didn't have his prime speed. Whitaker was bettering him on the inside as well, and I highlight doubt Floyd would fight him there.

It comes down to Chavez being able to deal with the movement of Mayweather. I see he could cut off the ring, roughing Floyd up, and landing hard body shots and some good punches upstairs. Floyd would be very competitive though, so it wouldn't be a repeat of the Camacho fight.

Chavez UD
Camacho was not in his prime at all. That's the only fight Chavez ever really cut off a guy with speed.
Sonny Carson is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #44
brooklyn1550
Roberto Duran
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Carson
Camacho was not in his prime at all. That's the only fight Chavez ever really cut off a guy with speed.
Yes, he wasn't in his prime, but he was still a good fighter. Not the level of Mayweather though.

Chavez could deal with speed at the lower weights though because he always stayed busy, knew how to cut off the ring, and focused primarily on the body.

At 147 and maybe even 140, I would pick Mayweather.

Last edited by brooklyn1550; 12-02-2007 at 06:33 PM.
brooklyn1550 is offline  Top
Old 12-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #45
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 887

The first Taylor fight and the Whitaker fight shows that Chavez has trubble with fast skilled boxers espicily at 140 and 147. If they fought at those weights I'd pick Mayweather by wide decision 12 or 15 rounds. 9-3 or 11-4. Chavez's presure style could gain him a late round ko like it did against Taylor, but I don't think it well.
I like Chavez at 130 8-4 or 10-5. I think at this weight Chavez is fast enough to keep presure on Mayweather and posibily score a knockdown or two and posibily a stopage. It is also posible that Mayweather's speed will be able to counter Chavez's presure.
I think the best match up is at 135. I beleve speed beats power unless power can catch speed. In othwords I think Chavez-Mayweather at 135 would be a more competive version of how i think Chavez-Mayweather at 140 or 147 would play out. Mayweather 8-4 or 9-6.
ripcity is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum