boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
digit
Journeyman

vCash: 851
Default Height to Weight - Goal Suggestions

Hi Guys - I'm working hard to drop weight (without starving myself obviously). But I'm keen to understand what would be a good weight target for me to set myself.

I'm 179cm and currently 84.2kg. In my teens/early 20s I was extremely lean, probably 70-75kg, however contentment and weight training saw me get to 95kg.

Six months ago I was about 93kg and had set myself an 85kg target, however now that I've broken that milestone and that I feel faster and more powerful I'm keen to push towards a new goal weight.

Any suggestions on what would be a good goal for me to aim towards?

I'm thinking 79kg but not sure if thats too far or too short a target.

Thanks in advance.
digit is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 505
Default Re: Height to Weight - Goal Suggestions

It's completely impossible to say without knowing your bodyfat%.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 06-15-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
digit
Journeyman

Dont have updated data, but I was at about 19% back in January (when 93kg).
digit is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
MrSmall
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

A good goal would be whatever weight you were comfortable at maintaining, performing in the ring at and what your training lends to.
Don't worry about scale weight. Didn't you only start this very recently?
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
digit
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
A good goal would be whatever weight you were comfortable at maintaining, performing in the ring at and what your training lends to.
Don't worry about scale weight. Didn't you only start this very recently?
aye, been training (sporadically) in boxing for 17mths for fitness, however ramped up my commitment this year when I decided boxing would be my only sporting focus.

Been hampered on and off for 6mths with a shoulder injury that keeps reoccurring. In saying that, I'm happy with my progress to date having dropped 9kgs/20lbs (most of which has been the last few months) despite the setbacks.

Far from ready to even consider fighting (or even sparring!), but trying to keep small goals ahead of me to keep me focused and motivated, hence this post.
digit is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
MrSmall
Journeyman

vCash: 1000

Oh right I thought you only started a few months ago when you made that thread.
Do some strength training, focus on upper body pulling movements like rows and pullups instead of pressing, shoulder injury might be rotator cuff if you don't know what it is, a lot of forward internal rotation in boxing, so there is an imbalance created. could be way off the mark though.

Focus on your training then and getting your performance up, rather than worrying about doing that AND losing weight to hit a certain class, don't need that extra worry.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
digit
Journeyman

To be fair, my training was so sporadic prior to a few months ago its as well saying I only started then! ha

The shoulder feels better now, no pain any more (although I'm still cautious). Main concern is when I try any weights above the shoulder (sitting shoulder press) or dips, its not that its sore, more that its weak from lack of use. Just need to build strength as you say.

Been doing about 3 circuits a week (two boxing / one strength) and a one on one session. Plus I've started to hit the pavement at least once a week (about 4km all uphill) as well as some interval and stair training on the weekend which also extends to some kettle bell work and some bag & shadow boxing under the house so that I can practice my technique and also build my fitness via two minute rounds.

I've also taken to skipping (now that I can do more than jump up and down on the spot!), I try and do 10-20 minutes when I'm at the gym.

as for the weight goal, I need to have it because I'm my own worse enemy when it comes to what I eat, plus the weight loss has given me a boost as I'm breaking checkpoints that I never thought I'd achieve (being the 85kg mark). I'm very goal orientated........... comes from a long career in a sales environment!!
digit is offline  Top
Old 06-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

you cant say an ideal height to weight without seeing pictures or seeing your frame , if you looked up on the internet what is the ideal weight for a man of 5 ' 10 it would tell you 200 + pounds is dangerously overweight but we all know some people are built bigger than others so its really hard to say
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing