Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 431
vCash: 1053
Default Running distance, Speed and Stamina - Proportionality?

Hello again Mates,

Question: How Running distance, Speed and Stamina boil down? In short, to increase Stamina, do one should run Okay distance with a decent speed or do one should run long distance with slow speed? Which will increase the Stamina

Case: I was asked to go for jogging. I ran 6 rounds with no struggle. I ran them with slow speed. Then I doubled the speed and was only able to run 2 more rounds. Had I continued with the same slow speed I could have done 10+ rounds.

1 round = 400 Meters.

Which is better to increase Stamina.. Should I run long distance with slow speed (which I don't feel effective at all.. I jsut like that do it..) or should I run with decent speed (which I'm unable to do for a longer time.. May be 4*400 I can, for now)..

Which approach would be best to increase Stamina. Plz advice.

Thanks,

Freddie
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
RightHooker
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 528
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Running distance, Speed and Stamina - Proportionality?

Jogging at a slower pace for longer distance is good to improve your fitness and build up your fitness if you are quite out of shape.

Running fast pace for shorter distance is best for increasing stamina for boxing.
RightHooker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 431
vCash: 1053
Default Re: Running distance, Speed and Stamina - Proportionality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightHooker View Post
Jogging at a slower pace for longer distance is good to improve your fitness and build up your fitness if you are quite out of shape.

Running fast pace for shorter distance is best for increasing stamina for boxing.
Yes. Thanks for that !!

I should be going for the second approach then!!
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:24 AM   #4
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 431
vCash: 1053
Default Re: Running distance, Speed and Stamina - Proportionality?

And I know this is a individual depended question but can someone tell me an optimal time for a 400 Meter round - for fast pace? May be 1:15 to 1:30 minutes?

Sry if this is a silly question. Plz excuse me
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:09 AM   #5
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,459
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Running distance, Speed and Stamina - Proportionality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddieMaize View Post
And I know this is a individual depended question but can someone tell me an optimal time for a 400 Meter round - for fast pace? May be 1:15 to 1:30 minutes?

Sry if this is a silly question. Plz excuse me
About 55 seconds
brown bomber is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:26 AM   #6
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 720
vCash: 500
Default Re: Running distance, Speed and Stamina - Proportionality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightHooker View Post
Jogging at a slower pace for longer distance is good to improve your fitness and build up your fitness if you are quite out of shape.

Running fast pace for shorter distance is best for increasing stamina for boxing.

Totally agree with this. Think of it this way, each round you box is like a sprint with the energy expended. It's all about getting your body use to these stresses and having the ability to utilize the oxygen you're taking in for a faster recovery between rounds.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:56 AM   #7
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 431
vCash: 1053
Default Re: Running distance, Speed and Stamina - Proportionality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
About 55 seconds
Thanks [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and All!!

Thanks brown!! I clocked 1:20 something minutes when ran with fast pace (which is actually slow )..

I can clock it under a minute.. But I'm sure I will not be able to start the second round. What would you suggest, clock it under a minute for a round, get a break for some time and then repeat? or stretch a bit to 1:30 minutes but go for several rounds (May be 3)?
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:34 AM   #8
Hypercube
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default

400m vs. 5000m

400m with 10 lbs weighted vest (pace)
800m with 10 lbs weighted vest (endurance)
8 rounds running track (stamina)
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
Wicksy
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 171
vCash: 500
Default Re: Running distance, Speed and Stamina - Proportionality?

You should do both and it depends on how often you're training.

If 5 times a week, 3 runs should be slow 35mins to 1hr minimum and two could be harder interval sessions. Running less than 35mins slow isn't really helping stamina that much.

4 by 400m's is definitely not the most efficient way to increase stamina either. You'd be better off slowing down the reps and doing 8 -10. My preferences though for someone starting out would be to do 30secs to 1min hard with 30secs to 1min recovery for 25mins with 10-15mins of slow running as warm up and down.

400m sessions aren't bad sessions and in general all these interval sessions try to acheive the same thing so reps can vary according to a plan, but for a beginner 400m reps can be hard to pace, which will make it hard to complete the session. However, typically all these types of harder interval running sessions aim to increase your lactate threshold (the speed you can run at and remove lactic acid i.e. run faster for longer and also recover quicker) so should all be less than 30mins of running time (if you can do more than 30mins it's not intense enough), but more than 20mins (if it's less than 20mins it's not stamina training and it's got a large speed element to it).

4 by 400m in 55secs is not something you should be aiming for unless your aim is to be a County standard 800m runner! You're more training speed endurance in this session than stamina.

The slow runs in between would aid recovery and increase stamina. You shouldn't be able to do many more than 2 hard running sessions a week if you're also doing high intensity boxing training, but you want to be running 5 times a week so both slow and hard sessions are optimal.

This is very crude example though as the training should be periodised.

BTW If you could do even one 55sec for 400m you would be a club standard 400m runner, I doubt many/any pro boxers could run 4 by 400ms in 55sec without a huge recovery inbetween (which would mean it was even less of a stamina session). 1.20 as an intense stamina session is actually okay for a length of intensity. More reps at 1.20 would be better than 4 reps at 60secs in regard to stamina.

Last edited by Wicksy; 06-17-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Wicksy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 431
vCash: 1053
Default Re: Running distance, Speed and Stamina - Proportionality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicksy View Post
You should do both and it depends on how often you're training.

If 5 times a week, 3 runs should be slow 35mins to 1hr minimum and two could be harder interval sessions. Running less than 35mins slow isn't really helping stamina that much.

4 by 400m's is definitely not the most efficient way to increase stamina either. You'd be better off slowing down the reps and doing 8 -10. My preferences though for someone starting out would be to do 30secs to 1min hard with 30secs to 1min recovery for 25mins with 10-15mins of slow running as warm up and down.

400m sessions aren't bad sessions and in general all these interval sessions try to acheive the same thing so reps can vary according to a plan, but for a beginner 400m reps can be hard to pace, which will make it hard to complete the session. However, typically all these types of harder interval running sessions aim to increase your lactate threshold (the speed you can run at and remove lactic acid i.e. run faster for longer and also recover quicker) so should all be less than 30mins of running time (if you can do more than 30mins it's not intense enough), but more than 20mins (if it's less than 20mins it's not stamina training and it's got a large speed element to it).

4 by 400m in 55secs is not something you should be aiming for unless your aim is to be a County standard 800m runner! You're more training speed endurance in this session than stamina.

The slow runs in between would aid recovery and increase stamina. You shouldn't be able to do many more than 2 hard running sessions a week if you're also doing high intensity boxing training, but you want to be running 5 times a week so both slow and hard sessions are optimal.

This is very crude example though as the training should be periodised.

BTW If you could do even one 55sec for 400m you would be a club standard 400m runner, I doubt many/any pro boxers could run 4 by 400ms in 55sec without a huge recovery inbetween (which would mean it was even less of a stamina session). 1.20 as an intense stamina session is actually okay for a length of intensity. More reps at 1.20 would be better than 4 reps at 60secs in regard to stamina.
WOW... Thanks Wicksy!!.. Thanks for the time you have spent to respond..

I will read it twice thrice to understand you.. and post back.. !!
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
Twelve
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: STL
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
Default Re: Running distance, Speed and Stamina - Proportionality?

I would say you should really consider throwing sprints in every time you finish long distance runs. Makes your legs explosive and bouncy and it simulates rounds very well if you sprint down to a checkpoint and jog back to the place you started for 3 minutes. Sprinting is underrated.
Twelve is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #12
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 431
vCash: 1053
Default Re: Running distance, Speed and Stamina - Proportionality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelve View Post
I would say you should really consider throwing sprints in every time you finish long distance runs. Makes your legs explosive and bouncy and it simulates rounds very well if you sprint down to a checkpoint and jog back to the place you started for 3 minutes. Sprinting is underrated.
Yes. I'm going with this. In fact this is what I tried today,

Quote:
My preferences though for someone starting out would be to do 30secs to 1min hard with 30secs to 1min recovery for 25mins with 10-15mins of slow running as warm up and down.
2 rounds of warm up.. from 3rd round, 100m sprint 100 slow and repeated for 3 rounds and to finish with, a single round with slow speed..

With this, I got tired today.. just with the running.. Then I had to do all the stuffs that I was asked to do..

I think, this, if continued for a period of time, will show results.. Thanks dudes!! I'm really getting useful stuffs from you guys
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:21 AM   #13
Hypercube
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Running distance, Speed and Stamina - Proportionality?

400m is still 1 minute at best......... lil bit too Hatton which is also the same category Haye falls in technically......... in terms of being the absolute best heavyweight in the world.

He’d beat Wladimir Klitschko though if both fighters would ever make it to the ring.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:24 AM   #14
Hypercube
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Running distance, Speed and Stamina - Proportionality?

The 2 min 800m is the true test of stamina.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:31 AM   #15
Hypercube
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Running distance, Speed and Stamina - Proportionality?

A round is not a Hatton Sprint......... it’s an Ali Marathon.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013