Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 07-02-2007, 03:11 AM   #1
Smokin'Joe

Location: Favorite Boxers: Frazier, Ali, Marciano, Archie Moore, Ray Leonard
vCash: 1000
Default Holyfield's comeback

At first I was a little sckeptical about it but after watching his last couple of fights I've seen a new light. I'll admit I might be abit biased towards it, because Holy was my favorite fighter growing up and maybe it just brings out the kid in me when I see him getting in there and whooping some ass again.

I recently bought his fight vs Savarese, and I can say without doubt he look magnificant. Despite the fact that Savarese is supposivly "hand-picked" this was a great fight, and the most entertaining heavyweight fight I've seen in the past 5 or 6 years, which is a reflection of how weak the HW division is now when to guys in their 40's put on a better show than 20 and 30 year olds in their prime.

Holyfield was powerful, agile, and put punches together for the entire 10 rounds. There was no dull moment in the fight. Putting Big Lou down in the 4th and again in the 10th with a picture perfect left hook a la Frazier, Holy looked awesome. To Lou's credit he showed a ton of heart and had he's moments to.

So Holyfield is now 4-0 in his latest comeback with 2 of which coming by way of knockout. And in my honest opinion if he came in to fight as he did last night against say, Maskaev or one of the other champions, I truly believe he has the ability to win another championship belt. But as far as being the undisputed HW champion again, that's a little much. Whichever way I'm finding myself drawn into Evander's Crusade for the heavyweight championship.
Smokin'Joe is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2007, 03:21 AM   #2
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0
Default Re: Holyfield's comeback

Holyfield is playing a very dangerous game, this sport has to be respected. The same drive that got Holyfield to the top is keeping him in this sport and delusional of the consequences of a 44 year old still fighting.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 03:32 AM   #3
Smokin'Joe

Location: Favorite Boxers: Frazier, Ali, Marciano, Archie Moore, Ray Leonard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knackwurst
To be honest, I donīt want Steroidfield to become WC again...
As if I don't hear comment's like this enough from places I've read on youtube and other wealths of boxing knowledge. Why is everybody so against him, I don't really get it. Sure 44 is very old for a normal fighter, but skill can go a long way.

I meen everybody was knockin on Foreman to before he layed the ol coup de grace on Moorer ya know?
Smokin'Joe is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 03:36 AM   #4
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

I tell you this - if Evander wins a belt - which is entirely possible in today's mediocre division, there will be little doubt about who the best HW of the last 20 years was!!!!
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 03:39 AM   #5
NickHudson
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I think a case can be made for Holy being the best HW of the last 20 years, but surely this latest comeback doesnt add to that accolage.

It merely means he soldiered on when his more sensible peers (Tyson Bowe and Lewis) retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman
I tell you this - if Evander wins a belt - which is entirely possible in today's mediocre division, there will be little doubt about who the best HW of the last 20 years was!!!!
NickHudson is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 04:20 AM   #6
dado
Journeyman

nah holyfield couldnt beat any of the champions fighting like that,,, if u think of it this way,,, when tyson fought savarese tyson was already shot, and he still knocked out 'big lou' in one round,, now big lou is even older and worst then when he fought tyson and he still took holyfield a whole ten,, now judging by that, this holyfield we have today is even more shot than what tyson was,,, in other words its definately time to retire, or otherwise hes gonna be granted a shot against one of the champions and get totally destroyed and never be the same man again.
dado is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 04:41 AM   #7
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman
Yes it'll still be Lennox Lewis
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 04:41 AM   #8
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

I'd love to see Holyfield starch Wladdy, which isn't entirely impossible
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 06:21 AM   #9
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher
You're a sick man. Wlad could badly injure Holyfield.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 06:22 AM   #10
heerko koois
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Holyfield does have a 25% chance to do that....
heerko koois is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 06:24 AM   #11
heerko koois
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
You're a sick man. Wlad could badly injure Holyfield.
Yes he could.......in boxing anyone can get hurt.......
heerko koois is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 07:07 AM   #12
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by heerko koois
Yes he could.......in boxing anyone can get hurt.......
And boxing does not care about its warriors getting hurt if money is on the line to be made. Holyfield looked good agaisnt an equally shot and much slower Lou Saveresse. Saveresse heard the final gong.

Holyfield's warrior heart was an asset in his salad days. Now its a dangerous liability. Holyfield has been in too many wars. If he fougth Wlad Klitschko, it would be a blood bath. Klitschko has been delivering one punch Ko's. To match Wlad with a pridefull older man is dangerous. Holyfield was TKO'd by James Toney for Pete's sake. I hope the match never happens and if it does, Richard Steele needs be the refreee.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 07:34 AM   #13
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Prime for prime.... maybe.

Today, it would be a massacre. Holyfield would eat that jab and right hand while not being able to land his own shots because of the speed and size difference. His only hope would be to land his career best headbutt that would not be recognised as a foul and win the fight on a cut stoppage.

Difference between an old Foreman and an old Holyfield is that Foreman had that equalizer called power.. Holyfield is gonna have to outbox his opponents which is very hard with those diminshed reflexes, stamina etc.

By the way Zakman, if Holyfield does win a belt, then surely it improves his legacy, but then again, it also improves Lewis' legacy because he beat Holyfield twice 8 years before he'd still win another title
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 07:38 AM   #14
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Yeah, I thought the Holyfield fans always say he was utterly shot back in '99?
Then what the hell is he doing still picking up wins against decent, if faded, competition, going 10 and 12 rounds without a problem?

I'm glad to see the old codger doing well. But at the end of things, I still see Holyfield's last fight ending in a massive KO loss, most probably to a guy he would've beat in his heyday. Nothing less will make him stop fighting.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #15
Chaney
Mystery and Imagination
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Holyfield's warrior heart was an asset in his salad days. Now its a dangerous liability. Holyfield has been in too many wars. If he fougth Wlad Klitschko, it would be a blood bath. Klitschko has been delivering one punch Ko's. To match Wlad with a pridefull older man is dangerous. Holyfield was TKO'd by James Toney for Pete's sake. I hope the match never happens and if it does, Richard Steele needs be the refreee.
I agree.

I have been re-reading on the final act of Ali's career...and it is always heartbreaking to see a great champion (the greatest in this case) go on too long and leave the sport as damaged goods.

Holyfield simply has nothing else left to prove! He is fantastically rich. He may still love competing (as Ali did) but this isn't playing on too long in tennis, where you leave a tournament embarrasingly early...losing in boxing is measured in concussive blows to the brain.

There are a million good causes Holy could put his time, resources and indominitable spirit to. Seeing him carry on like this, I can only conclude his vanity is greater than his common sense.
Chaney is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum